New England/Canada shore activities

Yochell

Hi. I'm new to this board, so I apologize if this has already been answered. But I'm having trouble finding answers, so I thought I'd start this way.

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time to New England and Canada in August. I would like to know if it is possible to arrange our own 'shore excursions' once we get to each port. We are not ones to join large guided groups on tours. The ports we will be visiting are:

Newport, RI

Boston, MA

Bar Harbor, ME

Saint Johns

Halifax

Will we be able to arrange activities ourselves once we get into each of these towns? If so, how do we go about doing that, and are the docks close enough to walk to the activities, or will we need to take a bus/taxi?

I know I'm asking for alot, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I'm hoping one of you kind cruise critics will be willing to help!

Thanks in advance!

Well, there is a currently active thread that asks the same question. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=935198

I can only speak to Boston. The two most popular activities that folks ask about are the Freedom Trail and the hop on hop off bus, which is your own personal doityourself tour. Use the search function to find discussions of these activities and web links and come back with your questions. These activities are available by "T" or by cab. You can also walk to the trolley stop, but it could be a hot walk in August.

We're doing these ports in October and after some research we plan to do the following:

Newport: City Bus to Breakers and part of the Cliff Walk

Boston: HoHo or Town Trolley and/or Freedom Trail

Bar Harbour - Hope to sign up for Olli's Trolley to Acadia National Park--imagine we'll make reservations soon for this.

Saint John - Think there's a city bus tour you can take. Mixed responses but looks like that was available last October, not sure about this year.

Halifax - We're going to take a Princess tour to go to Peggy's Cove; don't know of another way to do that other than renting a car.

If you do a search on this board you can find lots of info about the various ports. Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for responding with ideas. I'll look into other posts to see whatelse I can find out. Thanks again. At least I know that all my shore excursions do not have to be booked through the Princess cruise.

We try to limit the Princess excursions and do as much as possible on our own--especially if we're not going too far and can get back on our own in a short time. We just prefer to not be part of a huge group going from one location to another.

We did the canada/new england 7 day a few years back. we are doing a nine day on sept 3rd with rccl. if you are into any kind of history/learning, etc. - while in halifax walk up to the top of the hill and pay something like 10 dollars to gain admission to the citadel. really, really interesting.

while in bar harbor - one of my absolute favorite towns - walk - again - up the hill to the "village green". from there you can get on the free bus - hop on/hop off and it takes you all over. doesn't cost a dime. then when you are done with that - spend your free time roaming the streets of bar harbor. great blueberry ice cream!

Alambama Ghost---We are going on princess in september---we have never been to halifax=which princess tour did you sign up for that goes to peggy cove- I see that there a few--------------we sign up to do the oli trolly directly with Oli trolly-much cheaper then princess -2 1/2 hr tour 29.00

www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp free sightseeing bus, FRED,operates July thru October in Halifax

www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15 look at local 2 hr. tour, good tour, good price in Saint John or search on-line for a private tour to sites out of town

Boston - Old Town Trolley, stop 16A is close to pier for boarding with e-ticket

Newport - RIPTA bus #67 goes to mansions, leaves from Gateway station not far from tender pier

www.cliffwalk.com

Bar Harbor- If you have time left after the park tour and walking the town, find the Shore Path next to the B&B which is to the left of the tender pier. Very beautiful walking path along the coastline. You can read about it on-line.

Loved this itinerary Sept 2008 and also we cruised Halifax and Boston another time too. Here is what we did.

Boston- Took a cab to the Freedom Trail, stopped in the visitors center & bought a tour book for about $10 that was very detailed and walked it on our own stopping and reading all about the sights. We also paid to tour a couple of the buildings on the Trail, Paul Rev house was one of them. Took a cab back to the ship. On the way we split the cab with someone else waiting in the cab area and the way back we took our own cab. Odd thing was the return was cheaper.

Newport- Enjoyed the tender ride immensely, very picturesqe. Try to get a seat up on top if you can. We walked to the visitors center. Got information on the trolley system and took that for a few dollars to the cliff walk. Walked that for a while toured the Breakers Mansion and took the trolley back to the ship.

Bar Harbour- Booked Ollie's Trolley online from home. Took the 2 hour tour and really enjoyed this. We went to Acadia national park, Thunder MT and some garden place.

St Johns- Not as exciting. We were going to just explore. I woke up early and went for an exercise walk and discovered that there wasn't much to see, especially in the rain and stumbled upon an independent tour of the city run by the city public bus system. It was enjoyable, but if I had to do it again I would most definitly go with my original plan of going out to the caves & the bay of fundy.

Halifax- A couple years back we took the hop on hop off all over so this time we booked the Historic Pub Tour(our only cruise sponsored activitiy). This is a silly bar hop that has you all wear yellow hats and bag pipers and story telling musicians lead you to various pubs. Overpriced, but we were glad we did it as we really enjoyed the day. Before the tour we explored the citadel on our own. Big mistake was we walked there. It looks close but is all uphill. Take a cab for a few bucks if you go and walk back.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I'm new to this board, so I apologize if this has already been answered. But I'm having trouble finding answers, so I thought I'd start this way.

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time to New England and Canada in August. I would like to know if it is possible to arrange our own 'shore excursions' once we get to each port. We are not ones to join large guided groups on tours. The ports we will be visiting are:

Newport, RI

Boston, MA

Bar Harbor, ME

Saint Johns

Halifax

Will we be able to arrange activities ourselves once we get into each of these towns? If so, how do we go about doing that, and are the docks close enough to walk to the activities, or will we need to take a bus/taxi?

I know I'm asking for alot, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I'm hoping one of you kind cruise critics will be willing to help!

Thanks in advance!

We were in Boston with QM2 on July 4th and independently reserved a 3 hour whale watching trip with Boston Harbor Cruises. It was the best whale watching trip we have ever done and we saw more whales than we had seen in two previous trips combined in Alaska. They took us about 27 miles offshore to Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary and there were whales all over the place, quite a few which came right up to the boat. I actually looked directly into a humpback whale's mouth. The tour left from Long Wharf which was about a 15-20 minute taxi ride from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. The tour cost was approximately $42pp including tax. It might have been less for children, but we didn't have any in our group so I don't know for sure. I enjoyed this so much that I would consider driving from NY to Boston for a long weekend to do this again.

Bar Harbor- If you have time left after the park tour and walking the town, find the Shore Path next to the B&B which is to the left of the tender pier. Very beautiful walking path along the coastline. You can read about it on-line.

I like this idea of checking out the coastline and then heading to town for a lobster roll in the park.

Hi we are going on the Canada/ New England NCL cruise Oct 16 and looking into outings while there . Any suggestions for Portland or Charlottown, Maybe SeptIlsles lol .

Any suggestions will be looked into ahaha . Im also looking to find a tour that will pick us up in Quebec at the airport give us a little tour an then take us to the ship .

Thank you Rosie

Archived