Requesting a certain cabin

lexie33

Let me be sure I know what you are asking.

Generally a guarantee means you will get that category of cabin, but no choice of the cabin. Sometimes that results in a couple of categories upgrade ($20 worth) and rarely, something into the next bracket, like inside to obstructed ocean view.

If you have bought either a guarantee & been assigned a room, or booked a room that you want because of its location, you could possibly get a call from the "upsell fairy." it depends on whether there are vacancies in categories above yours.

For instance, they start with the suites and ask if they want to upgrade to a higher suite. etc. Then the vacated suites will be offered to those with booked mini suites. As the mini suites become available, they'll be offered to people with choice balconies (like stern ones or other BAs). If by chance there are any balconies vacated (people hate to give up their stern BAs), they would be offered to other balcony people, or eventually to people who hold reservations in ocean view. And on it goes until inside.

The theory is that they can sell last minute inside cabins more easily than higher categories to fill the ship just before sail date. But we don't know for sure how they decide who to call or why!

On my first NCL cruise on Majesty we were booked in a Cat E ocean view 108 sq ft. I booked it because it was on the promenade deck and next to a door so I thought I could slip out for a smoke. Found out there's no smoking on the jogging track on promenade, so when they called to upgrade to a cat C ocean view 145 sq ft for $25 per person more, we grabbed it. This new cabin was also right by a door and we could zip up to the buffet deck and I could legally smoke!

I did not get the call for subsequent cruises. Some people post here that they've taken a gazillion NCL cruises and never received the call. Other first timers say they've gotten the call. So why knows.

Right now I am booked in a cat G ocean view obstructed on Pride of America and am thinking of upgrading to a BG balcony. But I am paying for the difference. The fairy did not call me. I figured a G is such a low ov category that they'd never call, so am just doing it on my own.

I hope that answers your question. To sum up:

Upsell: they call you and offer you a reduced rate for the difference in your booked category and what they're offering. Upgrade: You buy it yourself, or if you have a guarantee room, MIGHT get a higher category.

If you are talking about the upsells, they have a certain cabin is not a problem. I would guess they have as good if not better chance.

Remember, with a GTY, you can get ANY CABIN in that category. You better be happy with that.

Archived