Luggage Locks?

downrunner

Toto I take it one step futher. I cut the zip tie end diagonally pretty tight to end so that if someone opens it and replaces it with another I still know that someone has been in my bag. I keep the cut ends in my carry on so if I think someone has switched them I can match up the diagonal ends to see if they fit. I know, I know, its over the top. My wife tells me that I am a loser too. But I have never lost anything packed in the luggage. I think the big box home improvement stores have them in colors now.

I also think this is way over the top! What if they don't match what are you going to do?

Toto I take it one step futher. I cut the zip tie end diagonally pretty tight to end so that if someone opens it and replaces it with another I still know that someone has been in my bag. I keep the cut ends in my carry on so if I think someone has switched them I can match up the diagonal ends to see if they fit. I know, I know, its over the top. My wife tells me that I am a loser too. But I have never lost anything packed in the luggage. I think the big box home improvement stores have them in colors now.

I also think this is way over the top! What if they don't match what are you going to do?

I thought the same thing. So, there's a different tie. Big deal! If anything were missing what can you do about it at that point? Complain? To who? Who's going to listen and if they do listen, actually do something about it.

The only option is not to pack anything of value in your suit cases to begin with and if something goes missing, to bad. It's part of traveling and something like a $6 lock or zip tie isn't going to stop even a 10 year old kid from getting into your bag.

We don't bother to lock our luggage and never have had a problem. I am of a mind that they only keep the honest out...if anyone really wants to break into you luggage they can cut most soft sided luggage with a box cutter. We don't place anything of value in our checked luggage so don't worry about it. However we did have a baggage tag cut off one of our bags once, we suspect by a dockside porter, and were left wondering if we lived closer to the port if our home would have been broken into.

We don't use locks either, I'm w/ you, they are for honest people. I pack only my clothes, I put them into two space bags that fit side by side in my luggage. That way if the zipper is broken, my underwear is not all over the carousel or the floor when I go to get it. They really keep everything in order. All valueables go in the carryon. So far I have been lucky and everything is there.

If flying to the UK, can we still use the TSA locks we normally use in the U.S?

I have only just seen this thread and so I apologise for not replying sooner.

We are in the UK and whenever we fly out of the UK to anywhere we use our TSA approved combination locks. We never, never put anything of value in our suitcases. It always travels with us in our carry on bags. Saying that, I do not even take my engagement ring with me because I really would be devasted if it was lost anywhere by anyone.

I have only just seen this thread and so I apologise for not replying sooner.

We are in the UK and whenever we fly out of the UK to anywhere we use our TSA approved combination locks. We never' date=' never put anything of value in our suitcases. It always travels with us in our carry on bags. Saying that, I do not even take my engagement ring with me because I really would be devasted if it was lost anywhere by anyone.[/quote']

Then why bother locking it? :confused: If there's nothing anyone would steal, there's nothing to worry about.

Then why bother locking it? :confused: If there's nothing anyone would steal, there's nothing to worry about.

I understand what you are saying and why. We just don't like the idea of "anyone" being able to rummage around in our suitcases.

Call us daft but we just feel a bit better if the cases are locked. ;)

I lock mine with TSA approved locks just to make sure the zippers don't open a liitle (or a lot) and items come out of the luggage by accident. I don't do it to stop someone from stealing from it for the same reasons as others have stated, the criminals know how to get in.

But I had seem my luggage zippers separate slightly when we were no allowed to use locks at all so as soon as their was such a thing as a TSA approved lock I went out and bought a few.

I do want to say that I bought my TSA approved locks at 3 different times and all 3 have the same TSA key number which leads me to believe that all three can be opened by any one with that same key number as mine.

We use ties. But before giving the luggage to the ship porters (prior to check-in), we put the TSA locks on.

Some rules we follow:

Pack so that we do not "annoy" the TSA should they check the luggage. It is their job to check. So all electrical items are in a large zip lock bag they can pull out and see what is in there without removing them. Put dirty underwear in a zip lock bag. If I were the TSA guy and searched into the luggage pockets and found deliberately stuffed dirty underwear, believe me I would toss around every item in that bag.

Also why use TSA locks or locks or zip ties? If a non-TSA person wants to pllfer, they will go for the bags that are easiest to pilfer -- those that are open and brand new bags.

I lock mine with TSA approved locks just to make sure the zippers don't open a liitle (or a lot) and items come out of the luggage by accident. I don't do it to stop someone from stealing from it for the same reasons as others have stated, the criminals know how to get in.

But I had seem my luggage zippers separate slightly when we were no allowed to use locks at all

That's also part of the reason I like to lock my luggage. Lucky for me, from the terminal I usually depart from in Los Angeles I can roll my suitcase up to the guard at the x-ray machine and go stand around the back of it to make sure it clears the security check. If not, I would be there to unlock it myself.

I used to be able to do this at another airport I frequently fly into but that recently changed and last time I was given one of those ties and it was so hard to cut even with a scissors. So I recently bought a TSA approved lock to use in the future.

Archived