Tell me how you get ready, since I'm CLUELESS!

ksatte03

My first ever cruise leaves in 29 days!

Sooo, I need a checklist of things I need to do/buy in the next few weeks to be prepared. Any suggestions?

I already have my passport and funpass completed!

:DThanks!!!

Sooo, I need a checklist of things I need to do/buy in the next few weeks to be prepared. Any suggestions?

First cruises are the BEST.....and if you will use the search feature for packing lists... you will get some great info and suggestions. First thing to pack will be a POSITIVE ATTITUDE which it sounds like you already have !

Have a GREAT 1st cruise ! :cool:

Heres some misc items you should consider packing :)

I got this from a member on our last Miracle cruise

cell phone & charger (remember, extra fees apply on board)

camera & charger

underwater cameras if going snorkeling, etc.

mp3 player (really good if you have teens and pool days)

nightlight or small flashlight (esp. good if you have an indoor cabin..not really needed for a balcony cabin)

steamer (irons aren't allowed, small steamers are easy to pack and work like a charm)

first aid kit (see below)

prescription meds each of you may be on

reading material if you like to read and relax

garbage bags (good for wet items on return trip)

playing cards (although you can get these from the pursers desk)

highlighter (great for highlighting the capers for the next days events)

empty tote bag if you plan on buying lots of things in ports

nail polish and remover (I just have my nails done before we leave--it eliminates this)

small journal for notes

plenty of 1's for tipping

sunglasses

battery alarm clock (small one) more reliable than the wake up calls

meds for sea sickness

hat if you need one

snorkel/mask (some people prefer buying their own)

febreeze (I never do this but lots of others do)

perfume

lint brush

electric razor (him), disposibles (her)

hair brush, comb

hair spray, hair gel

shampoo

toothpaste, toothbrushes

post it notes

lanyards (for s&s card)

deoderant

make up

sun tan lotion and after sun lotion aloe in case of burn

q-tips

extension cord

outlet adapter/power strip

hand soap (they have bar soap)

tiny bottle of hand sanitizer

body wash

super glue

bungee cord if your on a balcony

plastic shoe holder for back of bathroom door (great for all those little bathroom things & cheap)

large plastic cups with lids (great for taking drinks back to your cabin like lemonade---$1 at dollar store)

zip lock gallon bags (put anything that could leak in these and seal them before packing)

credit cards, etc ( I always make copies of all this and leave a copy locked up in a suitcase and a copy with a family member at home)

FIRST AID KIT

1. Non-drowsy allergy medicine
  2. Multi-purpose cotton rounds (found in make up aisles)
  3. Antacid tablets (tums)
  4. Anti-diarrhea medication
  5. Ace bandage
  6. Pepto-bismal
  7. Waterproof tape
  8. Ibuprofen
  9. Tylenol
  10. Q-tips

1. Sea sickness meds

• meclizine
  • phenergan
  • ginger capsules
  • dramamine
  • sea bands
  • peppermint candy
  • lemon candy

1. Stool softener or laxative
  2. Bandaids
  3. Benadryl cream
  4. Benadryl tablets
  5. Triple antibiotic ointment
  6. Afterbite ointment
  7. 2x2 sterile pads
  8. Medicated chap ice lip balm
  9. After sun lotion (aloe)
  10. Cold/flu medication
  11. Cough drops
  12. Off bug repellant (tiny can about 4 inches high)

Hope this helps some :)

Holy crap... I don't bring half of that "novel of a list" when we cruise !! That would be an extra piece of luggage not to mention weight :eek:

I agree a lot of the stuff is a bit extra (nail polish remover? come on!), but it's a great guideline to start with

If you don't know what you are doing...go on the Port section of the boards and look at what's available! There are great tips for keeping things cheap...places to eat, drink, how to get to the beach...or just what tours are the best and which to pass on. I didn't find this until after my third cruise...and now whether I am paying for a tour or doing something on my own, I research, research, research!!

Oh, and I agree. Lay out your clothes and only take HALF!

Also, a great deal is the laundry service for $15...I can get all of may daughters and my shorts, tanks, and under things washed, so I have clean clothes for the last day or two...and less to do when I get home! Just STUFF the bag full!

Call your credit card company to let them know where you will be making purchases so they do not put a hold on your card for foreign purchases.

Be sure to have the paper stopped or someone pick it up.

Water the plants, turn the main water off, empty the fridge of perishables.

Be sure to take lots of pictures and write a pictoral review when you get home:D

Lay out everything on your bed that you think that you will need. Now put 1/2 of it back in the closet and pack the rest. If you try to take everthing on some of the "must take" list you would need a couple of steamer trunks. Don't over think the packing process. You really will not need everything that you think that you would. Have fun, it's a vacation.

LOL I"m taking nail polish remover, chipped polish deives me crazy and no way am I going to the spa for new polish everytime it gets chipped. I'm cheap, I'll fix it myself :D

Be sure to put a hold on your mail if there's no one there to pick it up. Putting mine on hold today.

I am SO with you on this one!! We sail for the first time in 30 days and I feel like a deer in the headlights :eek: ! I have suitcases out and will be making my packing list here anytime so the post with all the suggested packing items is a real plus!! Also the link to look at what to do in the ports is helpful too.

I ALWAYS plan 2 outfits per day. I try to wear bottoms twice, but always a clean top every day. Evening were is somewhat the same. A nice pair of black pants can go with several tops. I used to take WAYYYY too much. That was BEFORE the charges for luggage. Toiletries are your own preferrence. Comfy flip-flops for around the ship, and a pair of fancy sandals for night is what I take. I usd to bring 6 or 7 pairs of shoes etc. Its just not worth the trouble any more. I have been on 11 cruises and approximately 50 other vacations. I now live by our familys "VACATION RULE #1"----I AM NEVER GONNA SEE THESE PEOPLE AGAIN........LOL

Duct tape and extension cord.

Yes, we used both on our first cruise. There was only 1 outlet in our stateroom so we really needed the extension cord. We used the duct tape for DH's cologne top that cracked.

Oh, whatever med's you take, take at least 1 extra week's worth. Ya never know when there could be a delay of some kind in getting back home.

Lay out everything on your bed that you think that you will need. Now put 1/2 of it back in the closet and pack the rest. If you try to take everthing on some of the "must take" list you would need a couple of steamer trunks. Don't over think the packing process. You really will not need everything that you think that you would. Have fun, it's a vacation.

I agree. You won't need half the things you think you will need. You can buy most things on the ship or in one of the ports if you find you really need something. The one exception is shoes. They never seem to seel shoes onboard.

I agree. You won't need half the things you think you will need. You can buy most things on the ship or in one of the ports if you find you really need something. The one exception is shoes. They never seem to seel shoes onboard.[/quote]

Just flip flops, could you imagine the outrage here if someone reported you wearing them on Elegant night?;)

I ALWAYS plan 2 outfits per day. I try to wear bottoms twice, but always a clean top every day. Evening were is somewhat the same. A nice pair of black pants can go with several tops. I used to take WAYYYY too much. That was BEFORE the charges for luggage. Toiletries are your own preferrence. Comfy flip-flops for around the ship, and a pair of fancy sandals for night is what I take. I usd to bring 6 or 7 pairs of shoes etc. Its just not worth the trouble any more. I have been on 11 cruises and approximately 50 other vacations. I now live by our familys "VACATION RULE #1"----I AM NEVER GONNA SEE THESE PEOPLE AGAIN........LOL

Yes,that. I agree with the statement about the black pants as well. I always have them handy. Also,a lightweight sweater or jacket for the lounges. Some can get really cold and it can also get very windy at night out on lido.

I found some nail polish remover pads that are sealed - no liquid to pack and don't take up much room.

I also have a "just in case" bag that has that kind of stuff in it that I take on every trip.

A power strip or an extension cord is a must - I like to use a plug that is shaped like a cube and has three places to plug in. Much lighter and smaller than a power strip.

We always pack a couple of days' worth of clothes in a carry on just in case the checked bags don't make it. Also, instead of having "my checked bag" and "their checked bag" , put some of yours in theirs and theirs in yours so if one bag gets lost, it won't be "my bag is lost".

Look for bug WIPES instead of spray - much easier to carry, so you don't have to put the stuff on before you go into the port. I've been able to find them in individual wrappers, so that the whole package doesn't dry up before being used up.

Definitely call the credit card companies to let them know you may be using the cards out of the country for a short time. Make a complete copy of your whole itinerary, including flight numbers/times, and leave it with family at home, just in case. If you have pets, arrange for someone to take care of them, or make reservations with a kennel.

Bring your airline/travel agent's phone number with you, so that you can make last minute arrangements if the unusual happens and you are delayed.

Power strip is a MUST. If you're picky about your hair dryer, bring one from home - the ones on board are okay, but if you have long hair and need to dry it, it's going to take a LONG time. Waterproof id holders if you're doing "wet" excursions. Rain ponchos from the Dollar Store. Extra memory card for camera, camera charger.

Most crucial item - A GREAT ATTITUDE. If you plan to have a wonderful time, you will have a wonderful time, as long as you're willing to roll with the punches.

Heres some misc items you should consider packing :)

one thing NOT on this very long list... if you're going to put your bags out to be taken off the ship the night before...

zip ties / cable ties to secure the zippers on your suitcase.

i never like the idea of bags sitting in the hall, or anywhere else, unsecure.

now granted, they're not hard to cut, but tampering is evident. since 99% of people will never do this, i bet they'll skip your bags.

tip: pack a nail clipper in a outside zippered (not zip tied) pocket, to cut them if you need to.

this is also compliant with tsa regulations - whereas locks are not.

lmao, i was thinking the same thing! :D

Falkcor you must be reading my mind 'cuz I sent you an email earlier asking for your help since you are the cruise authority!

BTW, you missed one heck of a birthday party! :D

Archived