Moose Burger: Where????

vang52

Heading out this weekend, Hallelujah, finally! Pretty much packed and ready, but I have been unable to find where the best place would be to sink my teeth into a decent moose burger [note signature below].

AK Ports: Juneau, Sitka, & Ketchikan. Any help???

Thanks,

Steve

Heading out this weekend, Hallelujah, finally! Pretty much packed and ready, but I have been unable to find where the best place would be to sink my teeth into a decent moose burger [note signature below].

AK Ports: Juneau, Sitka, & Ketchikan. Any help???

Thanks,

Steve

Unless you can find a local who has some you won't be getting moose. A hunter can not sell either moose or caribou commercially so that means the restaurants won't have it. You'll probably run into some reindeer but then that is being farm raised.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I hear moose roadkill (such as what gets hit by the trains) gets donated to Alaska food shelters. I don't know about you, but I find that totally awesome. It's not just moose you're eating, it's real-life roadkill! I would gladly make a "donation" to the Anchorage food bank if I could have some of their moose.

I hear moose roadkill (such as what gets hit by the trains) gets donated to Alaska food shelters. I don't know about you, but I find that totally awesome. It's not just moose you're eating, it's real-life roadkill! I would gladly make a "donation" to the Anchorage food bank if I could have some of their moose.

Yes it's true. Law enforcement has a list of charities and when a moose is hit and killed they are called and it's their responsibility to go and take care of it.

Well now, that's just real special! Getting yer meat pretenderized already!

ROFLMAO:D

I had to think about that for a minute because where I come from, road kill is flat [yuck] and even deer are mangled pretty bad. However, a moose would represent quite a bit of useable protein that it kinda makes sense to not let go to waste. Cool idea. I did find a place in Ketchikan that offers elk burgers and may let that surffice in place of my quest for moose. I really do appreciate the help thus far.

Road-kill? My! My!

Steve

Yes it's true. Law enforcement has a list of charities and when a moose is hit and killed they are called and it's their responsibility to go and take care of it.

Not only Alaska. Quite a few states take road kill deer to shelters and "county homes".

Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin to name a few. Sheriff's dept in rural communities or on rural roads or Hwy Patrol on State Hwy's are generally responsible for moving the deer. Our local county in Northern Missouri has a special "deer mover". Just an old, beat up pickup with a winch to get them off the roads and to the county home. DH and other avid hunters are often called out to gut and clean them before they move them. Our local Sheriff nor none of the deputies hunt.

Don,

OK Don, I'll bite. Who and where is Sara?

The Clueless One

Steve

She is our moose hunting governor and she lives about an hour north of Anchorage (where she is the majority of the year versus the Governor mansion in Juneau) in Wasilla.

During the campaign and after the lose lots of people up interviewing her and she served moose chili to several of the media people.

If the post had said "Sarah" I might have understood since SP in one of my eariler posts is in fact the GOV. So in AK does she go by Sara or Sarah?

Steve

OOPS... must have edited out the SP at some point. My bad!

Is that Keep Right sign a real sign in Atlanta? If so, I would be much more worried about the Georgia governor right now.

Did ya like that, Susan? Actually found the PIC some time ago and the kids get a kick outta comparing the sign to my political affiliation: conservative libertarian..... fits like a glove when all considered :D

GA Gov is a lame duck and has been waddling around the issues for too many years now with little to show. Gets discouraging after a while.

Steve

I don't think my wife would like you calling me Susan. I used to subcontract for Georgia DOT at one time (right b4 Olympics), and they were a little low on budget, but geez.... The guy who did that sign must be from Athens.

Tetleytea,

My humble apologies! When I panned up, I noted the quote that AkSusan had pulled into her post by mistake. Having lived with the results of the GA DOT for the last 25 years, I'm not even sure those folks are from the same planet much less Athens.... but point well taken.

Steve

Well now, that's just real special! Getting yer meat pretenderized already!

ROFLMAO:D

I had to think about that for a minute because where I come from, road kill is flat [yuck] and even deer are mangled pretty bad. However, a moose would represent quite a bit of useable protein that it kinda makes sense to not let go to waste. Cool idea. I did find a place in Ketchikan that offers elk burgers and may let that surffice in place of my quest for moose. I really do appreciate the help thus far.

Road-kill? My! My!

Steve

For Elk there is perhaps more than one option, but here is one:

IMG_1680.JPG

Archived