kids and the muster drill

I just read that they line you up according to height. I will be going on my first cruise next year with my 12 year old daughter. Will they seperate us during the drill? Not sure how my daughter will react.:confused:

Its not really by height, but they do put the women & children at the front. So you would probably be standing right behind or next to your daughter.

They didn't do that with us on either of the two cruises we've been on (Mariner). Everyone was just lined up by cabin (or whoever they came with). There was no re-arranging at all - just getting in lines.

At that age, it would be better for her to be a bit more independent. If you ever really do have to abandon ship, she should know how to deal with this without you - just in case. It's a safe time/place for her to practice.

I just read that they line you up according to height. I will be going on my first cruise next year with my 12 year old daughter. Will they seperate us during the drill? Not sure how my daughter will react.:confused:

It's my fault that you read that. Sorry :o I sort of misspoke. I typed "height" because that was just my impression because I am always moved to the front with the kids. I am a shorty and it just seemed like the taller people were always in the back.

It could just be that I am with the kids. The line is only like 5 - 8 people deep so it's not like your daughter would be THAT far from you. ;)

No worries, she will be fine.

It's my fault that you read that. Sorry :o I sort of misspoke. I typed "height" because that was just my impression because I am always moved to the front with the kids. I am a shorty and it just seemed like the taller people were always in the back.

It could just be that I am with the kids. The line is only like 5 - 8 people deep so it's not like your daughter would be THAT far from you. ;)

No worries, she will be fine.

It probably is because of your (beautiful) daughters. I noticed on all of our cruises that families with kids are always in the front. It makes sense to me because I think kids are more likely to pay attention if no one is blocking their views.

Both my sister and I are short. I'm 5'2 and she is just over 5' and we are always so far in the back that our backs are against the wall. All we see are people's backs but at least we show up for the Muster Drills.

BTW loved your recent review about Carnival.

It probably is because of your (beautiful) daughters. I noticed on all of our cruises that families with kids are always in the front. It makes sense to me because I think kids are more likely to pay attention if no one is blocking their views.

Both my sister and I are short. I'm 5'2 and she is just over 5' and we are always so far in the back that our backs are against the wall. All we see are people's backs but at least we show up for the Muster Drills.

BTW loved your recent review about Carnival.

Awww thanks :)

Yep, on RCCL we always seemed to be rearranged. When we arrive, they tell us to go to the front of the line and then they move others back. It's nice because then my kids didn't have to spend 20 minutes staring at someone's backside...lol. :p

On CCL Triumph, we were squished to the back and my kids did exactly that, spent 40 minutes staring at some stranger's backside. ;)

I've been on cruises where they put women and children in front, but the two most recent cruise I was on they didn't care one way or the other. We were just put in order of how we got there.

In eight cruises I've never seen them simply put people in height order.

I can't imagine they'd separate the two of you, esp. if you asked not to be separated.

We have always been lined up in the order we arrived, I'm 5'1" and have never been separated from OH who is 5'10"

I have not been separated from my husband at Muster Drill, on any ship, in quite a few years. They just line us up as we arrive.

Families are kept together from what I have seen. ;)

Hi. I have been on 4 cruises with my twin girls. they were 6, 7, and then 8. they do not separate them when you walk out just stand in the front. i have only been on the explorer of the seas and it is very relaxed atmosphere it doesn't last long all you have to do is stand out on deck and watch and listen to the demonstration your daughter will be o.k.

We're just off the Mariner with a baby and a 3 year old and we, along with other families that had kids, were asked to bring the kids to the front of the line. All parents were right behind their kids. It makes sense to me that they do this. In case of an emergency on board, I would imagine we'd all want the little ones on life boats first :-)

Its not really by height, but they do put the women & children at the front. So you would probably be standing right behind or next to your daughter.

They DO NOT always seperate by height, sex, age. I may have seen them do it a few times of the 10+ we cruised.

On all the cruises we've done with our DD, the only time we've been separated as a family was when she was 13 months and the ship's crew running the drill kindly offered to allow my DH to take her inside to sit out the rest of the drill while I stayed with my aunt and cousin.

The other sailings she's stayed right with us, and as others have mentioned, we've been moved to the front of the line probably so she could see better or so the staff could see there was a small kid in that row.

Archived