First time cruising - a bit overwhelmed!

crombi

I am going on the Sapphire Princess on Aug 1 from Anchorage to Vancouver. I am really excited, but a bit overwhelmed. :confused:

We are trying to find hotels in both Anchorage and Vancouver for 1 night each end to make flights easier. But by doing that - how do we get between the ship and the hotel and the hotel and the airport? Is a taxi the easiest way even if it isn't the cheapest?

We were thinking of booking all of the excursions through Princess because it seemed convenient, but after reading on here it sounds like it may be better to book on our own. What are the benefits to booking directly through the cruise line? Are there any benefits?

We are stopping in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Any must see things?

Thank you in advance for any help!

You need to do your homework. :)

Look over the shore excurion list and narrow down your interests. There are hundreds of excellent tours to consider.

Booking via the cruiseline- is convenient and good revenue for the cruiseline. :) Booking independent, gives you more personal tours, sometimes longer, smaller groups. Do not expect big cost savings on many. Easy to do in Alaska, booking direct with vendors.

Yes you would use a taxi in Vancouver, NOT in Anchorage. The cruiseline offers bus service, and there are independent bus transfers, Alaska RR, as well as one way rental cars. Figure out, first, HOW you wish to make the most of your short time. Then book an Anchorage/Whittier transfer.

I am going on the Sapphire Princess on Aug 1 from Anchorage to Vancouver. I am really excited, but a bit overwhelmed. :confused:

You're in the right place! There are a lot of really helpful people here so you can work through the arrangements without getting too stressed out.

We are trying to find hotels in both Anchorage and Vancouver for 1 night each end to make flights easier. But by doing that - how do we get between the ship and the hotel and the hotel and the airport? Is a taxi the easiest way even if it isn't the cheapest?

In Anchorage, when you arrive at the airport, you will want to take a taxi from the airport to your hotel. The next morning, you will need to get from Anchorage to Whittier (where the ship docks). You have several options, including Princess transfers, other shuttles, private car service, car rental, or train. A cab would be very expensive due to the distance involved (90+ minute drive). The Princess transfer will be the easiest, but not necessarily the most convenient timing, and it will be more expensive than other shuttles which do the same thing. Some shuttles also include stops along the way for photos, touring, etc. while others go directly to the ship. A one-way car rental (pick-up in Anchorage, drop-off in Whittier) gives you the most flexibility. Different shuttles have different times, so decide if you'd rather leave later in the day (and sleep in, perhaps see some of Anchorage) or if you'd like to leave first thing in the morning to instead tour Whittier before checking in to the ship. There are many options so I understand how it can be overwhelming...but with some reading and internet searches, you'll be able to decide what is best for you.

In Vancouver, it is easy to get a cab from the port to your hotel and then a cab from your hotel to the airport the next day.

We were thinking of booking all of the excursions through Princess because it seemed convenient, but after reading on here it sounds like it may be better to book on our own. What are the benefits to booking directly through the cruise line? Are there any benefits?

The only benefit to booking through the cruiseline is convenience. They have all the tours listed in one place for every port and with the click of a button, you've signed yourself up. It certainly can't get easier! However, for this ease and convenience, you pay a premium.

Many times private tour operators offer the same tours for less money. You need to do research ahead of time to find these tours and decide which tour operator to go with. It takes time and patience and a lot of reading :) But for the same cost (or less), you get a better tour with smaller groups and more personalized service.

If you do a search on these forums (use the port cities as key words) you will find literally hundreds of recommendations for things to do in each location. What is a "must-see" will depend on your own personal interests.

We're on that cruise also. Check out our Roll Call (let me know if you have trouble finding this) and you'll get a lot of helpful info. (I'm writing a quick response while I'm on break at work; I'll try to write more later, but there have been some good replies already.)

And welcome! You'll love it.

I like the Blue Horizon in Vancouver--about $199 a night, but there are only 4 rooms per floor so every room is a corner room, and all have balconies (at least, that's what I recall). But as someone else said, make sure you get your flight reservations first.

In Vancouver, a taxi from the pier to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the airport, is simple and relatively inexpensive.

Re excursions: There are certain advantages to booking with Princess directly. It's one less hassle for you on your first cruise. Sometimes it's not more expensive than booking yourself (riding the ducks in Ketchikan, for example). And if there's any problem, the ship won't leave without you. (But it is very, very unlikely that there would be a problem if you go on your own.)

That said, I prefer to book my own excursions. Generally, they're less expensive; there are far fewer people on each; and you get a more personal experience.

One must-see, I think, is the White Pass Railroad in Skagway. You can book with the cruise line, or with an independent operator. When we took it, we were with a group, and the majority decided to take the train up to the summit and back. I think I'd like to take the train one way and a van the other way. (We're actually going to be renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake on this trip, but I really liked the train ride.)

And keep asking questions! We all like to help.

Since it is your first cruise you might want to book through the cruise line because it takes away any anxiety about transfers and getting back to the ship on time.

Most tours are cheaper if you book yourself, but you are responsible for all of the arrangements.....if the ship sails without you it is up to you to get back to it at your cost.

We started booking ourselves after our first cruise.

Of course it depends on your age, energy level and what you like to do. You still have time to do more research on the boards and of course there is always YouTube for videos!

No worries, no stress, leave room in your luggage for t-shirts ect that way you don't have to pack as much. Relax and Enjoy! You will be hooked for life!

Many of the hotels in Anchorage have complimentary shuttles from the airport to the hotel. We were also able to ride the hotel's shuttle from the hotel to the convention center, where we needed to check in for transfer to Whittier through our cruise line (Princess).

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Anchorage. An Applebees restaurant shares the parking lot, so it was very convenient. Hampton Inn has a complimentary breakfast. It is not downtown, but is an easy shuttle ride away.

We used Princess for our transfer to Whittier (about 1 1/2 hours away from Anchorage. I did not like that we had to check in at the convention center early, but the buses did not start running until later (we checked in around 10:00 and the bus left at 1:00. However, we found plenty to do in Anchorage (including a trolley bus tour) while we waited. I had wanted to get to the ship early and was disappointed that we would not arrive at the ship until about 2:30. But the time spent in Anchorage was well worth it. Now I wish I'd had more time to spend there.

Archived