Most amt of $ you've paid/would pay for 7 day balcony

We have a thread about the best price you've gotten. On the other hand, what is the most you have paid, or would pay? When someone asks if a balcony is worth it, most people give a definite yes....but at what cost? No one mentions whether they're willing to pay an extra $100, $300, or whether the cruise line could name their price. So how much more is that coffee on the balcony worth to you?

I would never consider cruising without a balcony....

I used to buy the very cheapest cabin on the ship....but that all changed about 8 years ago when Carnival upgraded me to a balcony. Now I know why people say "who cares what cabin you're....how much time do you spend there anyway"... That was my theory then. The balcony opened up a whole new cruise experience for me and is such an important part of the whole thing that I'd never be without one. I spend lots of time there during the day, in the middle of the night....afternoons reading a good book. It is my refuge.

About the cost;

I am a solo cruiser...by choice...so price is very important. The single supplement is a killer.

That being said, I have a mental "budget" that I simply won't go over.....period. So, when looking for a cruise, the price must not go over that budget..... I won't pay premium prices because I'm already paying almost twice of the Per person rate..and that's enough.

I check for best prices on several cruises. I can use military discount, past guest discount and upgrades, etc., so all of these things are considered when checking prices.

I do check on a few cruise lines but have found, in 99% of the cases, Carnival has the best rate......period.....

My budget for a week in a balcony is $1000.00 inclusive of taxes and port charges. I don't consider fuel supplements or gratuities in that cost.

Carnival has always come through...even though many times the reservation is made only a few weeks to a few months in advance. I don't care where the ship is going either. Using my own personal criteria, I manage to cruise 2/3 times a year.....

We have a thread about the best price you've gotten. On the other hand, what is the most you have paid, or would pay? When someone asks if a balcony is worth it, most people give a definite yes....but at what cost? No one mentions whether they're willing to pay an extra $100, $300, or whether the cruise line could name their price. So how much more is that coffee on the balcony worth to you?

It depends on the ship.........normally we do pay a few hundred dollars or more p/p for a balcony.......but this is what we prefer........

We paid $500pp extra for a balcony to Alaska for one week. I wouldn't pay that much for the Caribbean, but it was Alaska! I'd pay as much for a balcony in Hawaii or through the Panama Canal. We strongly prefer a balcony...almost to the point of not wanting to cruise at all if we can't have one. But there are limits...

You brought up something I was curious about. Wouldn't the balcony (or outside decks for that matter) be cold on an Alaskan cruise? Do you have to sit outside in a winter coat?

We actually bought parkas prior to embarkation because we were freezing (despite packing many layers). We used them the first day at sea and in Glacier Bay. But otherwise we really didn't need them. Most of the time we wore long sleeve t-shirts under long-sleeve oxfords and were just fine. We did Alaska very early in the season, so summer cruisers likely found it warmer. We loved our balcony even though a couple days were cold.

In April, I took inside cabin for the first time because it was that or dont go. Well, I wont make that mistake again. Since I have to fly and dont cruise often from now on I will pay extra for the balcony or stay home.

I don't know how much more than an ocean view any of my cruises were/are if only because I don't bother looking at the price of an ocean view.

As for Alaska, having a balcony is perfect! You are a step away from inside and can bring a blanket out with you if you are that cold. Much better than trudging up on deck to see anything. Added bonus - we had an aft balcony in Alaska - less wind, 180 degree view, and when the ship pulled away from anything, including glaciers, we got the best views. When Spirit toured College fjord, it was wonderful to sit on the balcony, not worry about people bumping into you or getting in your way, and we got to see both sides coming and going from the comfort of our own space.

I have been in an inside, OV and balcony and I am absolutely not a balcony snob and wouldn't hesitate to book an inside cabin again. My hubby prefers a window but we don't require a balcony. I go by price difference and if I can afford it.

I will pay extra $100/pp max for upgrade from IS to OV. An additional $100/pp max for upgrade from OV to balcony. Only consideration to this would be for Alaska or Hawaii but I sailed Hawaii in an inside before & would do it again.

Ok, confession, I calculated we are paying approximately $700 but this is for a suite. There were various points that motivated Dan to do this, like having a bath, easier with a baby, the balcony and I guess an element of the romance of a little extra luxury. I personally think he's gone over the top but this being said we have had very budget holidays in the past too, including yes the interior cabin. The most basic is fine if you are young, don't care and want to party and go sightseeing. I love travelling so before the little one arrived I would have gone somewhere even on a strict budget but I now I guess there are some commodities that really need to be there. Like some of you, in our current circumstances, I would say, yes, if things were to be very hard in terms of the baby, I would wait and save for longer.

My husband wont do a 7 day without a blacony so in Mar 2010 we are paying right at 1000. pp for an aft ablcony on the Dream. This is the most ever on Carnival for us. however we went on the Freedom of the Seas last year nad it was almost 1200 pp for a regular side mid ship balcony. I swore that the was the most I would ever pay for any room on any ship. The only reason we even did it was for our friends that were dying to go on the Freedom.

Ok, confession, I calculated we are paying approximately $700 but this is for a suite. There were various points that motivated Dan to do this, like having a bath, easier with a baby, the balcony and I guess an element of the romance of a little extra luxury. I personally think he's gone over the top but this being said we have had very budget holidays in the past too, including yes the interior cabin. The most basic is fine if you are young, don't care and want to party and go sightseeing. I love travelling so before the little one arrived I would have gone somewhere even on a strict budget but I now I guess there are some commodities that really need to be there. Like some of you, in our current circumstances, I would say, yes, if things were to be very hard in terms of the baby, I would wait and save for longer.

I meant to say about $700 extra, sorry.

It would have to be some unbelievably incredible deal for me to pay for it. (Like $150 pp above what I pay for the IS room). I don't need (nor desire) to have to sit and watch the ocean for hours on end. On the rare occasions that I do, I have always found a nice quiet spot on the back of the ship where I can have my coffee and watch the sea.

Now if/when the day comes for my first Alaskan cruise, I will do the balcony simply for the view of the glaciers. Right now, I have no desire to take a "cold" cruise.

You brought up something I was curious about. Wouldn't the balcony (or outside decks for that matter) be cold on an Alaskan cruise? Do you have to sit outside in a winter coat?

We just got back from a Regent cruise to Alaska two weeks ago. It was late May, bright and sunny, and we had a 10x20' deck outside our aft cabin. It was very private. We not only didn't need a winter coat, we didn't need.....anything. :D

We became balcony snobs after our first balcony experience. But, if the only way I were able to cruise was an inside, I still do it.

My general rule of thumb is that I like to keep balcony cost at under $150 pp/pd. Lately that has been very easy. To me getting a GREAT deal is getting a balcony at around $100 pp/pd. Usually we fall somewhere in between. There have been times however, that we have sailed in balconies for UNDER $100 pp/pd.

THAT is a great deal....to me, anyway :)

We just got back from a Regent cruise to Alaska two weeks ago. It was late May, bright and sunny, and we had a 10x20' deck outside our aft cabin. It was very private. We not only didn't need a winter coat, we didn't need.....anything. :D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Regent..................

do tell, is it worth the cost???? I'd love to sail Regent.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Regent..................

do tell, is it worth the cost???? I'd love to sail Regent.

"Worth the cost" is a very subjective call, of course. When you get a 2-for-1 deal on Regent, which they are promoting aggressively in this economy, it works out to about $1000/day per cabin. So it depends on whether that's a lot of money to you. It's a noticeable amount to anyone, of course, so here are some things to put into the thought process:

- How long would it take me to save for this cruise? (Obviously, if it takes two months, that's one thing, if it takes a year, quite another).

- How much is it worth to you to have a smaller ship with no lines and no crowding? Easy boarding and disembarking?

- No separate charge for drinks (alcoholic or not), a complimentary bar setup of your choice in your room. That's worth something to me.

- No tipping at all is expected; that's included in the price of the cruise.

- This year, at least, excursions are complimentary for the most part.

To me, the advantage of Regent is that I know exactly how much the vacation is going to cost before I get on board - and it's all paid for before I get on board. I think some cruises that look like bargains are less so when all the extras are added in - bar tabs, tipping, trips, etc.

In terms of justifying the cruise, all I can say is it's the only line we've ever taken, I can't imagine what would tempt me to change to a mass market line, and we've already booked our next one. But only you can decide what's "worth it". :)

"Worth the cost" is a very subjective call, of course. When you get a 2-for-1 deal on Regent, which they are promoting aggressively in this economy, it works out to about $1000/day per cabin. So it depends on whether that's a lot of money to you. It's a noticeable amount to anyone, of course, so here are some things to put into the thought process:

Wow - I don't think, try as I might, that I could spend $1000 a day on a Carnival cruise. YIKES!!!!!

- How long would it take me to save for this cruise? (Obviously, if it takes two months, that's one thing, if it takes a year, quite another).

- How much is it worth to you to have a smaller ship with no lines and no crowding? Easy boarding and disembarking?

- No separate charge for drinks (alcoholic or not), a complimentary bar setup of your choice in your room. That's worth something to me.

To me, the advantage of Regent is that I know exactly how much the vacation is going to cost before I get on board - and it's all paid for before I get on board. I think some cruises that look like bargains are less so when all the extras are added in - bar tabs, tipping, trips, etc.

In terms of justifying the cruise, all I can say is it's the only line we've ever taken, I can't imagine what would tempt me to change to a mass market line, and we've already booked our next one. But only you can decide what's "worth it". :)

I would HIGHLy suggest that you definitely don't try a mass market line. I can't imagine you'd be happy.

I think that's what prevents me from trying Regent...LOL. I am petrified that after that, nothing else would ever do.

So, it is TOTALLY all inclusive??????

Wow - I don't think, try as I might, that I could spend $1000 a day on a Carnival cruise. YIKES!!!!!

I would think no one SANE, would.

I love CCL but it is in NO way worth that kind of money for goodness sake.

I would HIGHLy suggest that you definitely don't try a mass market line. I can't imagine you'd be happy.

I think that's what prevents me from trying Regent...LOL. I am petrified that after that, nothing else would ever do.

So, it is TOTALLY all inclusive??????

I hope I didn't sound like a snob; my issue is really with the large number of passengers on most mass market lines. Regent has at most 700, and it's very comfortable on that size ship.

It's more inclusive than it ever has been, in this economy. Some excursions still charge extra; if it's an expensive plane or helicopter tour, it will still have a charge. But many are now free or a very moderate cost. For example, I was going to send just my husband on a photographers' specialty tour in Juneau, and do something else, because it was $350; when the charge was suddenly $30, I decided to join him! :p

Aside from that, it really is all inclusive. No tipping is expected, and the staff treats you exactly the same on the last day of the cruise as they do on the first (and that's very well). They have the flexibility to do things you request - I asked for a galley tour, and had a very thorough one with the executive chef and just three other passengers.

It's not for everyone; I'd say that people with small children who want to have lots of activities geared to children would be much happier with RCI, Carnival, or Disney. But it works for us! :)

You got a point in terms of certainty. As I was saying in another thread, Dan and I took what seemed a very cheap cruise once and between the excursions (which were expensive for what they were, although our guide was excellent and probably worth every penny), the tab and the fact that we ate on port lots because we weren't impressed with the food at all, it worked out a hell of a lot more than anticipated.

This time our priorities were mainly dictated by whether the liner accepts infants, babysitting services, something for all the family etc, hence we chose Carnival. The food it seems that it's very good for what I have heard so far but what the final bill will be, well I let you know when we get back, probably horrific! My husband can be a bit loose when it comes to spending money!

I hope I didn't sound like a snob; :)

heck no...I didn't take it that way at all :)

my issue is really with the large number of passengers on most mass market lines. Regent has at most 700, and it's very comfortable on that size ship.

It's more inclusive than it ever has been, in this economy. Some excursions still charge extra; if it's an expensive plane or helicopter tour, it will still have a charge. But many are now free or a very moderate cost. For example, I was going to send just my husband on a photographers' specialty tour in Juneau, and do something else, because it was $350; when the charge was suddenly $30, I decided to join him! :p

Aside from that, it really is all inclusive. No tipping is expected, and the staff treats you exactly the same on the last day of the cruise as they do on the first (and that's very well). They have the flexibility to do things you request - I asked for a galley tour, and had a very thorough one with the executive chef and just three other passengers.

It's not for everyone; I'd say that people with small children who want to have lots of activities geared to children would be much happier with RCI, Carnival, or Disney. But it works for us! :)

no small children here.

One day I will get on a regent ship. Their itineraries are just amazing.... :)

Enjoy your cruises :)

At the time of booking I look at prices among all categories and decide which I think I can best budget for. Last year with price drops the Splendor ended up costing us less than $30 pp to go from an IS to a balcony so we switched it. Again for this September I got an 8I for $60 more pp from what I had the IS booked so again I switched it.

However for Christmas I am paying $999 for a cove balcony for my kids at Christmas.

Archived