Driving directions in Hilo, HI

cajun-cruiser

Can I please have your help?

We will be in Hilo 10-16-2009 from 8am to 6pm on the Golden... We would like to go to "Hawaii Volcanoes National Park" and also see some waterfalls... I plan on renting a car (any suggestions) then heading straight to see the Volcano... I believe I will have to take Hwy 11 and it is est. 45 min. from Hilo... How much time allow for park? What do I do once I get there? Do you hike? Do you drive around? What do I see? I know alot of questions, but I like to be prepared... Do I have enough time to go to Black Sand Beach and the waterfalls? Is it worth it? After head back towards Hilo to see the waterfalls... Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots & Pe'epe'e Falls. How about Akaka Falls? What do you recommend? Do I have enough time to do all of this? Please estimate miles and time for each stop... Thanks

VNP and Rainbow Falls would be easy.

We usually rent from Thrifty because they are the least expensive when we have been there. All the shuttles will pick you up outside the pier - sometimes there's a line there.

And before you go out, there are vendors in the pier with beautiful flower arrangements. They will save them for you until you get back.

Some of VNP has been closed lately due to volcanic action. I think you can get as far as Jagger Museum in one direction, and at least to the lava tubes in the other. It is definitely worth seeing, however much is open. We like to start at Volcano House for an overview of the area, go to the Visitor Center, Art Center behind that on the left, and drive as far as we can get. Dh used to like hiking across from Volcano House, but I'm sure that will be closed for the near future, at least. If you have a Golden Age Pass for those over 62 - or you can buy one there - you can get your car in free.

Can I please have your help?

We will be in Hilo 10-16-2009 from 8am to 6pm on the Golden... We would like to go to "Hawaii Volcanoes National Park" and also see some waterfalls... I plan on renting a car (any suggestions) then heading straight to see the Volcano... I believe I will have to take Hwy 11 and it is est. 45 min. from Hilo... How much time allow for park? What do I do once I get there? Do you hike? Do you drive around? What do I see? I know alot of questions, but I like to be prepared... Do I have enough time to go to Black Sand Beach and the waterfalls? Is it worth it? After head back towards Hilo to see the waterfalls... Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots & Pe'epe'e Falls. How about Akaka Falls? What do you recommend? Do I have enough time to do all of this? Please estimate miles and time for each stop... Thanks

It is easy to find the VNP. You rent your car from whatever company you want. Thrifty, Budget, Avis, etc... do it months before you cruise,

Then once you are off the ship the free shuttle takes u to the airport to get your car. Take a left out of the airport and drive for 45 minutes or so, there are not many roads so you cant really get lost.

The first thing we did was to stop at the Visitors Center to pick up maps and talk to the rangers, they told us that some of the park is closed past the museum due to the lava flow, then we walked across the street to the Volcano house,(it is worth the walk across to see the view) only spent a few minutes there to take pics out back and buy some water. It depends on what you want to do here? I really wanted to explore the Lava Tubes (you drive to see the Lava Tubes on the other end of the park) and see the Jagger Museum so we went to the Museum first (you drive to the museum) and then headed to the Lava Tubes-(the park is broken up since that part of the road is closed you really cant drive it in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction all the way through) The museum is closest to the Visitor Center and on the same side of the street, so we headed that way first, we spent about 20 minutes at the museum and probably 40 minutes at the Lava tubes (we took a flashlight to explore the Lava tubes that are not illuminated with lights) Then we hiked the trail that leads you out onto the crater floor. This was a challenging hike for me. It was just bc it was hot. The trail is not paved so to speak and we had to stop to rest several times. I am not in great shape but I am not in bad shape either, lol. I think age has something to do with this?? Hmmm

Anyway that can take you up to 4 hours to hike, or you can take the short cut which is about 30 minutes down the trail to the crater and then turn around and go back the way you came. What you do after the VNP all depends on how much time you have left. We did not go to the black sand beach but went to the falls instead, we would not have had time to do both. Also remember to ask the rental car co what time the last shuttle runs so you can get back to the ship on time.

VNP and Rainbow Falls would be easy.

We usually rent from Thrifty because they are the least expensive when we have been there. All the shuttles will pick you up outside the pier - sometimes there's a line there.

And before you go out, there are vendors in the pier with beautiful flower arrangements. They will save them for you until you get back.

Some of VNP has been closed lately due to volcanic action. I think you can get as far as Jagger Museum in one direction, and at least to the lava tubes in the other. It is definitely worth seeing, however much is open. We like to start at Volcano House for an overview of the area, go to the Visitor Center, Art Center behind that on the left, and drive as far as we can get. Dh used to like hiking across from Volcano House, but I'm sure that will be closed for the near future, at least. If you have a Golden Age Pass for those over 62 - or you can buy one there - you can get your car in free.

Thanks for the info... After touring the park you think all I have time for is Rainbow Falls?

It is easy to find the VNP. You rent your car from whatever company you want. Thrifty, Budget, Avis, etc... do it months before you cruise,

Then once you are off the ship the free shuttle takes u to the airport to get your car. Take a left out of the airport and drive for 45 minutes or so, there are not many roads so you cant really get lost.

The first thing we did was to stop at the Visitors Center to pick up maps and talk to the rangers, they told us that some of the park is closed past the museum due to the lava flow, then we walked across the street to the Volcano house,(it is worth the walk across to see the view) only spent a few minutes there to take pics out back and buy some water. It depends on what you want to do here? I really wanted to explore the Lava Tubes (you drive to see the Lava Tubes on the other end of the park) and see the Jagger Museum so we went to the Museum first (you drive to the museum) and then headed to the Lava Tubes-(the park is broken up since that part of the road is closed you really cant drive it in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction all the way through) The museum is closest to the Visitor Center and on the same side of the street, so we headed that way first, we spent about 20 minutes at the museum and probably 40 minutes at the Lava tubes (we took a flashlight to explore the Lava tubes that are not illuminated with lights) Then we hiked the trail that leads you out onto the crater floor. This was a challenging hike for me. It was just bc it was hot. The trail is not paved so to speak and we had to stop to rest several times. I am not in great shape but I am not in bad shape either, lol. I think age has something to do with this?? Hmmm

Anyway that can take you up to 4 hours to hike, or you can take the short cut which is about 30 minutes down the trail to the crater and then turn around and go back the way you came. What you do after the VNP all depends on how much time you have left. We did not go to the black sand beach but went to the falls instead, we would not have had time to do both. Also remember to ask the rental car co what time the last shuttle runs so you can get back to the ship on time.

Thanks for detailed instructions of what to do once we arrive, that is exactly what I wanted... I need to remember to bring a flashlight... I did not think we would have enough time to go to Black Sand Beach and the falls, but I thought I would ask... Which falls did you see?

Just juse mapquest or google maps or some sort of website like that. Sailing in a month, and we really want to see akaka falls a 400 foot drop falls. Sounds great to me. Rainbow is also very pretty as well. Akaka falls is in the opposite direction al VNP sadly enough though but it can work.

Just juse mapquest or google maps or some sort of website like that. Sailing in a month, and we really want to see akaka falls a 400 foot drop falls. Sounds great to me. Rainbow is also very pretty as well. Akaka falls is in the opposite direction al VNP sadly enough though but it can work.

Thanks Rev. Joe, Are you doing the falls & VNP? If so, tell me how it went. Hope you have a fantastic trip...

The biggest issue you will have with your itinerary is leaving VNP. We too had planned so much for our day in Hilo but the park was so fascinating, that we never left it! Although we fully intended to see Akaka Falls and squeeze in a visit to see turtles/beach, we could not bring ourselves to leaving VNP earlier than what we did - and only managed to catch the last shuttle back to the ship.

Archived