Warning...Lido deck VERY slippery when wet!

beach410

It never ceases to amaze me that people and especially seasoned cruisers don't get the concept that this is an ocean going vessel. It does not matter whether it is 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM or 12 midnight any and I mean ANY deck exposed to open air or in the vacinity of is at risk of being slippery. Unless I am in my own cabin I keep my eyes peeled and down as you do not know what is in front of you. Why do we need cones, warnings, etc etc telling us to be cautious - unless you cleaned it, swept it or mopped it yourself you can never be certain of any area. We cannot protect against stupid or negligence on EVERYONES behalf.

Not every wet surface is slippery.......that could be why they put the cones out ya think:confused::rolleyes: And what does this have to do with seasoned cruisers:confused: And stupid and negligence if you slip and fall on a wet slippery surface:confused: Good god:rolleyes:

Update: My SIL just came from surgery, they wired her knee cap back together, it was broken in 4 places. She is home and on pain killers, they expect that she will be back to work in two months. She is looking forward to future cruises.

Thanks to everyones well wishes and dont forget, be careful!!

That really sounds bad, I can only imagine how horrible this all was for her. I do hope she makes a full recovery. Please let her know that many here on the board are sending good thoughts and prayers her way.

I had both my knees replaced so I know to be very careful when I am walking/going up and down stairs and am very careful when I am around wet decks etc. Just the thought of falling make me cringe.

The area around 'any pool' may be wet but most certainly is not always slippery

It all depends on the flooring and on the Carnival lido deck pool areas they are tiled and very slippery ... I have been on other lines where this is not always the case..

My parents have a wonderful yard with a huge in ground pool tiled and landscaped and although it is almost always wet in the summer.. it is not slippery

The OP was giving a PSA..... it was a nice thing...

trock, what is a PSA?

Sorry to hear about your SIL. Another unfortunate "accident".

Having sailed about many Coast Guard and Navy ships, I am a little surprised that cruise ships do not put down a light grade of no skid. We use to put down a coat of paint on the deck. While still wet we lightly spread snd or sand blast grit, and let dry. After drying period, we swept away the loose sand, then painted over the sand. This will give you some traction. Since there are ample chairs and loungers, and people do not use the deck as a beach substitute, it think it would be a resolution to the safety issue. Just my 2 cents.

All teh lido deck areas are "slip and slide" issues, not just near the pools. Open decks are subject to the weather. The rain may have stopped, but deck will still be wet. Even when hot and sunny, you have people getting out of pools and walking around dripping wet. Others are also walking around with food and drinks. Spills do happen. The areas around teh buffets can be dangerous too. I have seen the crew work furiously to mop up spills, and as they walk away, someone else spills a drink, or drops a tray of food. Two weeks ago on the GLORY, the aft pool crew did a wonderful job. They were right there with mops, squeeges, fans, and wet vac's. There were still a few slips, and I even witnessed a fall. The shorthanded crew is doing the best than can to make it a safe and enjoyable cruise. Again, my opinion.

And yes, sound like your SIL was a real trooper. Hope she has a speedy recovery. And glad this has not soured her to future cruises.

Smoof, I have no idea if you were being funny in posting the BonJovi pic or not. Doesn't really matter, it is funny. You did though make me think that the poster, minus the BonJovi, would possible make a better sign than the usual yellow signs or orange cones. People get ammuned to seeing them after a while and something a bit different gets attention. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been in conveniance stores or such that have the yellow signs out and the floor is dry as baby powder. People just get too used to them.

You actually enjoy watching people fall and break something? I can assure you, my SIL is NOT ignorant, nor was she strutting her stuff or drunk, she was merely walking normally across the lido deck with her 15 year old daughter and she was just not aware of how slippery the Lido deck gets and I dont see how anyone is to know that they have to wear SO CALLED APPROPRIATE SHOES, what exactly is that? I never see anything more then flip flops and sandals, that is what I always wear when going to the pool. You people who criticize others for having an accident and blame them are so ridiculous.

Watching people....is an activity on CCL. They used to promote it.

Cathy lee would sit there with a friend and would make the statement "people watching people watching people". Then she would snicker and say to her friend"did you see that" and they both snickered.

So Mrpete is partaking in a CCL activity.

Steve

Archived