Tandem Ziplining with a 3 yr Old?

louisaho

My husband and I are interested in doing the ziplining. We have a 3-yr-old with us. Can we do tandem ziplining, if it is safe? If that's so, do they charge extra for the kid? Will be glad if anyone can share. Thanks!

There is risk in almost everything we do. Who are you asking if it is safe? The many who got by unscathed or the families of those who did not. More than one person has met their demise ziplining. Even if the risk were one in a million there is still risk and there is no telling when that million is due. It is up you each and every individual to weigh the risk and make their decision.

Here is some reading that may interest you . http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=660

Who are you asking if it is safe?

Well, I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking for the CC members individual experiences. Specifically those who had ziplined WITH children, or possibly even those who had ziplined WITHOUT children but still had an opinon. Yes. everyone has to weigh the risks, but how do you weigh anything if you don't get personal experiences? So Sand, while your link was incredibly helpful it could have been provided without the self-important "pep-talk".

I appologize if I seem irritated, it's just that I've read several posts from you this evening that have the same irritated feel. I'm just curious, have YOU ziplined? Do YOU think it's something safe for a 3 year old to do? And, you failed to answer the most important question of whether it can be done at all.

Anyway, thanks louisaho for posting. I eagerly await peoples opinions, links and experiences.

have YOU ziplined? Do YOU think it's something safe for a 3 year old to do? And, you failed to answer the most important question of whether it can be done at all.

Sunny,

Seriously, look what you are suggesting here. It seems that your suggesting that asking general anonymous cruisers whether ziplining is safe would have any bearing on the subject. Or if someone has ziplined then they know if it is safe? If they lived does it mean its safe? If the people working there were friendly and appeared safety conscious does that mean it is safe? Unless someone has in depth knowledge of ziplines, cables, harnesses, proper connections as well as mainenance and inspections then does it really matter if we "think" it is safe? You don't think there is some independent agency with engineers or similar educations inspecting all these ziplines do you?

Sure, it might be a big fat cable but what is its composition? How many strands of wire in it? What is its make up? what is the maximum distance the manufacturer says the cable can traverse? How is it secured at each and every point? Where did the caribbeaners and hooks and harnesses come from? Have any ever been dropped on a rock or concrete? If so they are suggested by the manufacturers to not be used.

Accidents are rare and it is probably a low risk activity but it is not NO RISK and asking a bunch of random people what they "think" really has no bearing at all, the decision needs to be made on what is KNOWN.

Sunny,

Seriously, look what you are suggesting here. It seems that your suggesting that asking general anonymous cruisers whether ziplining is safe would have any bearing on the subject. Or if someone has ziplined then they know if it is safe? If they lived does it mean its safe? If the people working there were friendly and appeared safety conscious does that mean it is safe? Unless someone has in depth knowledge of ziplines, cables, harnesses, proper connections as well as mainenance and inspections then does it really matter if we "think" it is safe? You don't think there is some independent agency with engineers or similar educations inspecting all these ziplines do you?

Sure, it might be a big fat cable but what is its composition? How many strands of wire in it? What is its make up? what is the maximum distance the manufacturer says the cable can traverse? How is it secured at each and every point? Where did the caribbeaners and hooks and harnesses come from? Have any ever been dropped on a rock or concrete? If so they are suggested by the manufacturers to not be used.

Accidents are rare and it is probably a low risk activity but it is not NO RISK and asking a bunch of random people what they "think" really has no bearing at all, the decision needs to be made on what is KNOWN.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. We are on a CRUISE forum. Not a PHYSICS forum. Personally, I'm looking for first hand experiences or as you suggest, people who have links to articles that can explain the mechanics of ziplining. Not someone to lecture me on the "known vs. unknown" (How does anyone KNOW anything, anyway?) A person could do all the educated research on every possible dynamic of ziplining (skydiving, driving a car or any other scenario) and declare it safe for themselves and some horrible unforseen tragedy could still befall them. So, saying that "there is a risk in almost everything we do" is a given and maybe I'm being over confident here but I think EVERYONE understands that just because an anonymous person declared an activity safe doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to be alive at the end of it.

And what random people, who've had a particular experience, think has EVERYTHING to do with everything. Don't people base their thoughts on what is "known"? And since everyone has individual experiences and "know's" something different, getting as many peoples thoughts and using them to help determine whether a specific situation is safe, (or a port is a good one or a ship is going to suit them personally) is the point of this whole board...I thought.

You seem to miss another very important point. even if you were correct in assuming the general public was capable of determining safety and their replies meant something , but the problem even with this thinking is that those that have died on the zip lines cannot reply here.

You seem to miss another very important point. even if you were correct in assuming the general public was capable of determining safety and their replies meant something , but the problem even with this thinking is that those that have died on the zip lines cannot reply here.

IMO that's a given but also included in the "educated research" portion of the hypothetical scenario above.

You know I got to wondering if you're a lawyer or a doctor. Your posts have an unfortunate "don't sue me for my opinion" type feel.

I don't see why you guys are arguing. Many people tandem zip-line and plus a 3 year old doesn't even add extra weight to the cables. We did south shore zip-line on roatan and they had helmets for kids and harnesses for kids. If they want to go they can go tandem but with one of the company's guides.

USF,,

The OP alsp asked here if it was safe. You obviously felt it was worth the risk but simply appearing safe does not mean without risk and anyone doing these things really needs to weigh the risks and make an informed decision based on facts and not others "opinions" There have been a few deaths on Roatan on Ziplines. I believe the risk is low but I would hate to mention to anyone how safe it was and then read about them in the news later on. Those with little or no knowledge of the actual lines, harnesses, and all that go with it along with the mainenance or lack of really should not suggest they know anything about safety on the line. Those that have died all had helmets.

Actually USF there have been three. The Cruise passenger and her guide who later died as well as a guide from another zip line the previous January. This is a fact and not my opinion and it is not arguing but simply stating the truth

Sandiver,

There have only been 1 death related accident on Roatan. You obviously like arguing.....you should keep your opinion to yourself.

And a guide at a different zipline died the january prior to the tourist when he fell from his harness. Look it up, you seem to have all the answers. Of course two or three deaths are a low amount but they do happen. Perhaps the other guide was "just" critically injured and there were two deaths instead of three, word was he was paralyzed and later died, maybe that was misinformation. You can read in past issues of Honduras this week about the one in January of last year.

Sandiver lives on the isle so I respect his opinions about things happening on the island, and won't comment on number of deaths. Things happen.

Myself, there's no way, I'd put a 3 year old on a zip line. I'd doubt they'd have a harassness small enough to wrap around their waists to begin with. Tandem zipping usually means one person in front and the other behind and clipped onto the front person's line, not secured in a double harness appartus. And what happens if the 3 year old gets scared somewhere down the line and doesn't want to do it any more? You've no choice but to force them on through, wiggling and screaming and crying, so a lot can happen with that.Iit's not an amusement park ride that you can just hop off and walk back at the main station.

As far a Louisaho's ? I'd say contact the zipline companies or tour operators directly and ask about tandem zipping or age restrictions on their ziplines. I'm sure Victor Bodden could give a reasoned response and relay any experience he or his guides have had with similar situations.

Myself, there's no way, I'd put a 3 year old on a zip line. I'd doubt they'd have a harassness small enough to wrap around their waists to begin with. Tandem zipping usually means one person in front and the other behind and clipped onto the front person's line, not secured in a double harness appartus. And what happens if the 3 year old gets scared somewhere down the line and doesn't want to do it any more? You've no choice but to force them on through, wiggling and screaming and crying, so a lot can happen with that.Iit's not an amusement park ride that you can just hop off and walk back at the main station.

Now there's a helpful opinion! Thanks Crew!

Wow, didn't expect to get such heated response. But thanks sunnykb19 for speaking up - I was indeed hoping to get experience from pple who have done it before.

Thanks crewsweeper for your opinion too. It didn't occur to me that I will have no choice but to force him down the line even if he is terrified halfway. Will definitely check with Victor Bodden.

Wow, didn't expect to get such heated response. But thanks sunnykb19 for speaking up - I was indeed hoping to get experience from pple who have done it before.

Thanks crewsweeper for your opinion too. It didn't occur to me that I will have no choice but to force him down the line even if he is terrified halfway. Will definitely check with Victor Bodden.

I'd be curious to know what Victor or other tour/ zip line operators have to say on this. We all have diferent opinions abotu what's safe or not safe for our kids. And you are obviously caring enough to ask. In my experience raising 3 sons, if I had second thoughts or needed to pause and think about allowing them to something, the best answer was usually NO!

Archived