Flight-seeing advice--if could only do one, which one?

saibari

What is your recommendation to ensure that we get above the clouds and have a view Mt McKinley? I am drowning in the terminology. I just emailed TAT to clarify what exactly we booked with the Grand Denali Tour w/Glacier Landing...................

The last thing I want to do is spend over $700 and not be able to see anything but a cloud bank!!

Do you recommend a summit flight with a glacier landing??

Thank you

jj

There is no summit flight with a glacier landing. One or the other, since you ask me, I always prefer the summit.

We are staying at Mt Mckinley lodge and have one full day to do a flightseeing tour. I've been reading and researching but still would like some advise. Talkeetna Aero (Circle Denali Scenic Flight w/glacier landing or Southside Glacier flight w/glacier landing) or TAT (McKinley Base Camp Tour w/glacier landing or South Face McKinley Tour w/glacier landing)? We have only the one day so if weather issues arise, do they let you know you wont see much and offer you to cancel? We'll be there July 26, so I'm getting anxious to book.

You might check out ERA Helicopters, just a short walk from McKinley Chalet Hotel. I originally booked a tour out of Talkeetna, but when I found out that we'd have to drive almost 4 hours to get there (and back) from Denali, I cancelled that tour and found ERA Helicopters.

We took the helitour in late May and it was fabulous. Flew over mountains, hugging the terrain so as to spot wildlife, then capped it off with a glacier landing, where we explored for over 30 minutes.

Other than the spectacular scenery and the flight experience and glacier landing, the fact that ERA was within walking distance of where we stayed made the trip exceptional.

One other thing, ERA accepted my Great Alaskan TourSaver coupon, which saved us over $400 on our tour. You might check out this coupon book at http://www.toursaver.com/

Whatever you choose to do flightwise, you'll have a great time. Just pray for good weather.

I originally booked a tour out of Talkeetna, but when I found out that we'd have to drive almost 4 hours to get there (and back) from Denali, I cancelled that tour and found ERA Helicopters.

This was a poor plan to begin with, and likely you didn't do your homework and find out about the distance. BUT, for people making a Denali Park trip, independent, round trip from Anchorage, you are passing by Talkeetna twice, with several opportunities for flights. You wouldn't be at the National park entrance and do this.

This was a poor plan to begin with, and likely you didn't do your homework and find out about the distance. BUT, for people making a Denali Park trip, independent, round trip from Anchorage, you are passing by Talkeetna twice, with several opportunities for flights. You wouldn't be at the National park entrance and do this.

Dear Ms Queen,

Thanks very much for pointing out the obvious.

Being a first time cruiser, first time to Alaska, there was a steep learning curve. This instance was one of a number of errors (all minor, thankfully) that I endured.

And this turned out very well for us, as you saw if you read my entire post.

Just got back and did the McKinley Quest flightseeing tour with Denali air and the Helicopter Glacier Trek with Northstar trekking in Juneau. Loved them both and had great weather for both. Saw the summit of McKinley (both peaks) but hands down we all (DH, DS14 and DS12) loved the glacier trek. We hiked around the glacier for 2 hours (BQ recommends the 3 hour trek but minimum age is 16 and this was plenty time for us), drank from a glacier stream, and saw tons of the glacier as we were flying. If you can only do one, I'd recommend the hike.

Archived