Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast

rox1234

A couple of comments ..

- The best seat on the plane is the co-pilot's seat.

- If you're considering also taking the Mt. Robert's tram, you can skip it since the float planes fly right by Mt. Roberts and you'll have much better views from the plane.

- Unless you eat freshly caught salmon all the time, forget your preconceived notions about cooked salmon. I don't usually like salmon at restaurants but I'm now a believer that there is such a thing as good salmon. It wasn't at all fishy and it was cooked perfectly. Seriously, the freshness coupled with the bbq and glaze made me forget I was eating salmon. Keep in mind that the Taku hosts do this all the time so they really know what they're doing at the bbq. Yummy!!

- I was terrified before we got on the plane but I couldn't believe the smooth take off and landing. Much smoother than any take off or landing I've experience. I didn't know when we left the water or when we touched down. Once we were in the air, I was too busy being in awe to be afraid anymore.

- Take note of the glacier names as you fly over the glaciers if you want to caption your photos. Mine are glacier #1, glacier #2 .. etc.

- Taku served a pretty good beer. As soon as we arrived, we went straight into the lodge and ordered a glass of beer ($), then strolled around the grounds a bit before dinner.

All in all .. a perfect way to celebrate my birthday!

Happy Birthday GolfingGypsy!

Just one piece of advice that's a bit different from yours; If you can, fly in the smaller plane, the DeHavilland Beaver. As any pilot will attest, the Beaver is a very cool airplane and rich in history. And if you do fly in the Beaver, sit in the single seat in the far back. It is the absolute best seat for pictures - a huge window on each side, all to yourself!

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a late reply, but we did this Taku trip in '07, and it was THE highlight of our whole Alaska trip!!! It was my first floatplane ride,and it was spectacular in all ways! The lodge itself was charming, the food very good (although I don't remember the salmon being barbecued!), the area was beautiful, and they had a really nice gift shop! I purchased one of their platters that has the name of the lodge on it...a very nice and usable souvenir. We never wanted to leave! And of course, the flight was awesome! To see all those glaciers from a plane is just spectacular! I HIGHLY recommend this tour to anyone! Very expensive; I think it is about $400pp now. We are not rich, but we considered it a once in a lifetime opportunity, and would love to do it,again, sometime! It is also a much better value than a helicopter trip--more time for the money.

We went on this three years ago and it was great. The flight in is very scenic, the salmon wonderful and the lodge quaint. I enjoyed the story about how the lodge came to be what it is today. Strong Alaskan women.

• 5 months later...
Thanks BQ. Do you feel this would be a good choice of an expensive excursion for a family of 5 (me, DW, DS 9, DS 6, and DD 2)? We are on Rhapsody 6/4/2010.

What kind of rates are you getting for the kids?? A good portion of the fee is for the food. Which the kids probably won't like, or would be just as happy with a far cheaper option.

The flying is very scenic, but also very short, compared to flightseeing tours. It is more transportation based, for a lack of a better description.

I can't answer for you. Depends what is of most interest for everyone, or if there is the option to split up for other touring??

True. Thru the ship it was $299 an adult and $254 a kid, not sure if the 2 yr old qualifies as an infant. I think I saw and independent operator for $265 an adult and $213 a kid 2 and older. The kids eat most things but maybe not as much as what is served. How much time exploring near the lodge would you have?

Other flightseeing options?

What about helicopter and glacier?

Thanks.

True. Thru the ship it was $299 an adult and $254 a kid, not sure if the 2 yr old qualifies as an infant. I think I saw and independent operator for $265 an adult and $213 a kid 2 and older. The kids eat most things but maybe not as much as what is served. How much time exploring near the lodge would you have?

Other flightseeing options?

What about helicopter and glacier?

Thanks.

There are loads of other flightseeing options, available in every port. Glacier helicopter landings are likely going to charge for a 2 year old, and some do not have kids rates- they take up a seat. Floatplanes are another flightseeing option.

Archived