Need Advice Regarding the Carnival Vacation Club

CZodda

Hi Everyone! I have an unusual problem involving the Carnival Vacation Club and I wanted to run it by my fellow CC members to see what you all think. Here goes:

I had a membership that expired this past April. Last year in Sept I had booked a cruise through the club that I eventually wound up cancelling at the last minute due to a death in the family. I had insurance, but not through the club. Big mistake. Because my ins wasn't through the club, I lost the cruise because it was so close to sailing time when I had to cancel. The insurance company wouldn't honor the refund because it was booked in "points". After going back and forth with Carnival directly (the club had refused to help me) they sent me a letter saying they would make an exception and I could re-use my certificate to rebook the cruise anytime within the next 2 years. Not.

Recently, I decided I wanted to use the cert to book on the Miracle for 9/5/09. I had a terrible time with Carnival. Nobody recognized the author of the letter, and, after further investigation, I was told I had to go through the CVC to rebook the cruise. And here's where the fun starts.

When I called the first time, I was told my membership had expired and I couldn't reuse the cert unless I joined up with the new Vacation Rewards Club. I was transferred to a very high pressure "Manager" (I doubt he was anyone's manager!) who tried to get me to sign up in the worst way! So I hung and went back to Carnival - again. I thought the person at Carnival (who called the CVC for me and explained the situation to them) had gotten everything straightened out and so proceeded to book the cruise through the CVC. Now, after I made my final payment, I received a voice mail saying my membership had expired and that I had to renew or my booking was in danger of being cancelled.

I have no idea what to do now. Monday is I believe the day when the cancellation penalties start to kick in. The person at CVC who actually did the booking isn't in until then. If I cancel the cruise I stand to lose quite a bit of money - it's $300 per person at this stage, isn't it?

Should I bite the bullet and renew to save the cruise (and the certificate) or do I walk away take the loss and consider this a (very) painful lesson learned?

Any and all advice is great appreciated.

Many thanks in advance to everyone. Have a great evening!

Cathy

They charged us $199 to renew we did it and left the club. We got what we wanted from it. The Rewards club, I asked and got a chance to preview. It would cost us more to book with them then the military discount we usually get so we cancelled that membership, I still have 5 certificates that are sitting in a drawer.

Archived