Annoying pop-up

the2ofus

How can I get rid of the annoying pop-up that urges me to sign up for the free CC newsletter. Every time I open Cruise critic it covers half the screen. I have all kinds of pop-up controls but I can't get rid of that one.

Do you have pop up blocker on your browser?

Also, when you sign on to CC, do you sign in to the home page or directly on this page? I have the HAL board in my bookmarked sites, so it takes me directly to this board, with no annoying pop up when I sign in. If I were to sign in on the CC home (main) page, I DO get the pop up.

The pop-up would not be so annoying if it went only to those not already getting the CC newsletter. I have been getting the newsletter for months and still get the pop-up. You would think that CC could program to avoid this.:(

I actually find the CC newsletter interesting. You could always just sign up for it. :)
And if you don't find it interesting after a couple of issues you can flag it as spam, so that it always gets shunted aside.

I don't get any pop-ups for anything anywhere.
Me either, but I'm not sure what I have set different than the OP. I don't get the newsletter either.

Well, I tried going just to the boards as jtl513 suggested, and that was fine, but when I clicked on Home from there just to see what was posted on that page, it took forever to load and sure enough, there was that pesky pop-up again.

I have all kinds of pop-up blocks and I don't get them anywhere else I go, but the CC home page still has that pop-up.

I figured that after a month or so it would stop but it has been longer than that. Why should I subscribe to something, even something free, just to avoid a pop-up? Why should I have to then set up something else in my e-mail just to avoid having something I never wanted in the first place?

Why should I subscribe to something, even something free, just to avoid a pop-up? Why should I have to then set up something else in my e-mail just to avoid having something I never wanted in the first place?
In an ideal world you shouldn't have to, but remember CC is free and in order for them to pay their bills they have to have advertisers and sponsors that want to send you promos. It's annoying sometimes, but I'm willing to put up with it rather than have to pay to use CC! :)

How can I get rid of the annoying pop-up that urges me to sign up for the free CC newsletter. Every time I open Cruise critic it covers half the screen. I have all kinds of pop-up controls but I can't get rid of that one.

Maybe there are so many they're busy blocking each other.:p

What browser are you using? If it's IE, select 'tools' then 'pop-up blocker' to review your settings.

Mine is set for 'medium' and I never get CC pop-ups.

I do get Travel Page's pop-ups, but I don't go there often. If I did, I'd adjust the pop-up setting higher.

I think Stevesan is on the right track.

I'm not advocating a total browser change, but I use Mozilla Firefox, no problems. You might want to consider using a different browser than your usual one when visiting this site.

I am using Firefox. Have been for a couple of years now. The only pop-up I get, here or anywhere else, is the one asking me to subscribe to the CC newsletter. I even subscribed yesterday and the darn thing is still showing up every time I open the CC Home page. (I've now book-marked the boards page so I by-pass the home page, but I just checked to see.) Oh well, if that was the greatest irritant in my life I could count myself very lucky.

Thanks for the kind replies. It's a wonderful, first-day-of-summer here in West Central Ohio. Have a glorious day everybody! I'll sign off this thread now.

I have pop-up blocker, and I subscribe to CC, but I also get that "dam" blasted ad. It really isn't a pop-up, it's just there when the home page loads. The only time I go there is to look for reviews, and that thing covers part of the reviews page, so I cannot see what I need to. :mad:

Archived