NY/Halifax July 9th

I am cruising out of NY with some buddies on Carnival Thursday July 9th and Believe we are making port in halifax on that Saturday am. As we are a mixed group age wise 20's, 30's & young 40's we are looking to have as much fun in the city as possible.

If anyone can recommend a few restaurants to choose from in a bar/pub like atmosphere I would appreciate it. We are looking at anything within a miles walk of the terminal as there is over 20 of us and we prefer to walk & do some bar hopping along the way. :D

I am cruising out of NY with some buddies on Carnival Thursday July 9th and Believe we are making port in halifax on that Saturday am. As we are a mixed group age wise 20's, 30's & young 40's we are looking to have as much fun in the city as possible.

If anyone can recommend a few restaurants to choose from in a bar/pub like atmosphere I would appreciate it. We are looking at anything within a miles walk of the terminal as there is over 20 of us and we prefer to walk & do some bar hopping along the way. :D

Halifax will be like a madhouse on July 11th as Paul McCartney is giving a concert on the Commons and people are coming from all over North America to attend. The bars and restaurants will be packed solid.

Thanks for the update..Mccartney terrific LOL....Well we will have a great time....And I will double check my Itinerary as its supposed to be Halifax according to my buddy who took care of the details...I will certainly ask & get back..thanks again..

JIMBRI

You are absolutely positively correct!! I am glad I posted when I did and not at the last second. The ship is indeed docking in St John's now and why the change I have no idea but the info we have is for Halifax.

Could anyone answer the initial question with the updated destination being St Johns?

JIMBRI

You are absolutely positively correct!! I am glad I posted when I did and not at the last second. The ship is indeed docking in St John's now and why the change I have no idea but the info we have is for Halifax.

Could anyone answer the initial question with the updated destination being St Johns?

First up---St. John's is in Newfoundland----you will be in Saint John, New Brunswick. Now that that is out of the way, I am sure that you and your buddies would love the Reversing Falls Jet Boat--especially at low tide. http://www.jetboatrides.com/

I have given you a link.

There is a great bar/restaurant called Steamers across the street from Pugsley Terminal, which is where the Triumph will be docked on July 11th.

It has an outdoor area as well as inside seating. In summers past, Tim Maloney, a local singer, has been providing entertainment here when the cruise ships are in.

If the weather is nice there are some outdoor bar areas by Market Square.

If lobster is your thing I would recommend either Steamers or Billy's Seafood which is located at the uphill end of the City Market, between the doors to the outside. They also have an outside area.

The legal drinking age in New Brunswick is 19.

Sapper1

Thanks for the information & yes I also made the initial St Johns vs Saint John mistake as well thank you for the clarification...I will take a good look at everything tommorow and start planning...Thanks again everyone..

and just for the record, it is very unfortunate that you are not going to St. John's Newfoundland it is one of the most interesting cities in Canada - with a wonderful people.

Absolutely agree---I love St. John's and will be calling there on our transatlantic cruise in August. It has been a while since my last visit so I am really looking forward to it.

If you get a good weather day, and you're reasonably fit, make sure you walk the trail down from the front of Signal Hill, along The Narrows and emerging in The Battery - it's easy to follow and spectacular!

Luvnorway

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I just want sunshine as its been just miserable in NY. My wife & I will be visiting the markets & indeed walking around town. I decided it was tough to get everyone to agree on everything so I am just going and if they follow great :)

All packed & ready to go. Where is a nice spot to eat with the wife with good atmosphere or view? We like all types of food & this would be for lunch of course.

In Halifax, we like Salty's on the waterfront, behind the Historic Properties.

In Saint John, Billy's Seafood is great. It is located at the uphill end of the City Market, between the entrance doors. Steamer's which is across the street from Pugsley Cruise Terminal is also quite popular for lunch with cruise ship visitors.

When I am out shopping I often eat at Holly's Soho Cafe which is located at the top of the escalator in Market Square---not a seafood place but you can get a good lunch at a reasonable price.

Now a silly question: will these places take US dollars or do we need to exchange or ?? I have no clue. Also, what time zone is St John's, NB and Halifax on?

Jill

Halifax, Nova Scotia and Saint John, New Brunswick are on Atlantic Time, which is one hour later than Eastern Time. St. John's is in Newfoundland, which is on Newfoundland Time, which is half an hour later than Atlantic time.

US dollars are accepted at a fair rate of exchange but you will get your change back in Canadian dollars. Our one and two dollar denominations are in coin, called loonies and toonies, respectively. The trick is to get rid of as much coin as you can before you leave the country because, while you can exchange the bills for US dollars when you get home, banks do not deal in coin. If you have five to ten dollars in coin, just get a merchant to give you bills before you leave and then they will be exchangeable.

Hi NYCruiserNY!

We have a roll call for this cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=906195

I've been checking out the weather for both NY and Saint John and it looks pretty decent. Temps are in the 70's and on Sunday there might be some passing thunderstorms...

I can't believe we sail TOMORROW! I'm so excited... What part of NY are you from? Me and my fam live in Queens. I love sailing out of NYC - I love being able to take the train to my hotel and then TA-DA! My hotel travels to my destinations!

Anyway, check out our roll-call!

;-)

Archived