Wings of Alaska - Haines

galipemi

Has anyone used Wings of Alaska out of Haines? I can't get decent ferry times for the Haines - Skagway r/t. I'd either have to leave Skagway early at 4pm or wait until 8pm. Since the ship leaves Haines at 8pm, I just can't chance it. I'm looking at Wings as an optin since it's about $40 more but only a 10 minute flight with decent (not too early) flight times.

Any experience here on the board?

I am using them in a couple of weeks to fly from Juneau to Gustavus ( Glacier Bay). One of the gals at the hotel we booked in Juneau said that her family always flies with Wings of Alaska for "island Hopping". All I know thus far is that they allow no carry on luggage, backpacks, etc. they said a small purse or camera is fine. I am assuming it is a "puddle jumper" type of plane!

Wings based in Juneau is a top notch operation. They have a very good record, reputation and use experienced pilots. They provide service from Juneau to Gustavus, Haines and Skagway and an air connection between Haines and Skagway.

Ferry service leaves a lot to be desired with regard to schedules. The direct ferry between Haines and Skagway is scheduled to provide service for the cruise ship booked tours and it can be a challenge given their limited schedule many days.

Wings has both small (five passenger) and medium sized (18?) "puddle jumpers". No carry on allowed as no overhead compartments nor room under the seats. I don't find them cramped at all and the very short flight is scenic. I wouldn't hesitate using them.

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll book the flights then since they're waaay more convenient. And at the end of the day, time is limited and convenience is a big factor for me.

Of course, I've never flown in a tiny puddle jumper before. I think my smallest plane to date sat 37.:eek: Let's see how I handle this one! Then again, it's a ten minute flight, if I can't stick tht out it's pretty sad:rolleyes:

Archived