FLL Airport For Dummies

GTO-Girl

We are flying in the day before our cruise so I don't have any questions about that......but it's the return "routine" I'm needing advice about. This will only be the 2nd flight I have ever taken in my life, so sorry if these are dumb questions.....please no "eye rolling".... :o

Our return flight is 12:55pm so what would be the best routine for us the morning of debarking as far as getting to the airport & checking in, etc? Also since we have no way to check-in online and I'm sure the airport is going to be crazy, what would be our best option for doing all that......curbside check in......kiosk?

Thanks everybody for all your help!!!

FLL airport Has the longest lines to get through security that I have ever seen. Esp. if there are a lot of ships that day. We have waited for over an hour and a half just to get through security. The check in was not near as bad. We didn't have the option to do curb side check in, but that may be a good idea for you.

The earlier you get to the airport, the less the crowds.

We have gotten there at 8 am and gotten right through. Last couple times it was 9:30 and that is when we have the long wait.

Our flight always leaves at 1, and we have usually been inside and ready to go no later than 11.

The place is always crowded also. There gets to be a shortage of seats the later it gets. So, if you get a place to sit, hang on to it.

There are some places to eat there also, and they get very crowded late in the morning. If you want to get a sandwich or something to take on the plane, i suggest you get it early, as the lines get very long as the morning goes on.

Hope this doesnt scare you off. It really is my favorite place to fly in and out of. If they could just do something about getting you through security a little faster.

We are flying in the day before our cruise so I don't have any questions about that......but it's the return "routine" I'm needing advice about. This will only be the 2nd flight I have ever taken in my life, so sorry if these are dumb questions.....please no "eye rolling".... :o

Our return flight is 12:55pm so what would be the best routine for us the morning of debarking as far as getting to the airport & checking in, etc? Also since we have no way to check-in online and I'm sure the airport is going to be crazy, what would be our best option for doing all that......curbside check in......kiosk?

Thanks everybody for all your help!!!

Hello GTO-Girl,

yes you can check-in online- @ your internet site on the cruise ship the day ahead of time. I do, and it works great!! :D

That way you have your tickets in hand. This way when you get to the curbside check-in you can check in the luggage and move to the next line -security!

The airport is about 15-20 minutes from port (any one correct me if I am wrong) We have found that a cab is the cheapest, most efficent way to get there. However you should make sure that your cruise, knows what time your flight is so they will get you off the ship in a timely fashion, to go thru customs then grab a cab.

The other option you may want to check into- is the transfer that the ship offers. They cost more, but you may want to try it this time and then try a cab the next time you fly in/out of FLL.

Hope this was helpful.

Kathy

It looks like the earlier we can make our way to the airport, the better off we will be. Like I said earlier this is only my second flight so we're are not very knowledgeable about these things. I am the kind of person who gets very anxious when I'm in a situation I'm not familiar with. The first time we flew it was with a group of friends so they kind of walked us through and helped us know what to do.....but that was about 3 yrs ago.

This time I guess we're on our own........well with the exception of all the help from our friends here.

Thanks again!!!

I like to do curb-side check in. They can do everything right there and the lines are usually the shortest. The usual tip is $1 or $2 per bag. Then you go straight to the security lines and then just sit and wait at your gate. If you are flying on an airline that does not give seat assignments, like Southwest, you should check in (online or by cellphone if available) no more than 24 hrs in advance (and as close to that time as possible). Otherwise, you and your travel partner may not be able to get seats together.

I love the FLL airport because it is very organized and not too big. But I've never flown out after a cruise, and I would imagine it could very crowded Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I would suggest taking a taxi to the airport. It is a very short drive, less that 10 minutes. Plus, if you give your bags to a porter in the cruise terminal, he will get you right to the front of the taxi line. You do have to tip him tho.

I think our taxi was about 15$ plus tip.

The shuttle can be a hassle. You have to wait until they fill a bus, and that takes awhile. Plus you pay for each person.

The taxi would be a lot cheaper.

Don't stress. FLL is about the easiest place to cruise out of.

Archived