Summit Med. Cruise - Last Minute!

teacher_md

Hello everyone!

I am about to pack up for my 12-day Mediterranean cruise on the Celebrity Summit departing from Barcelona on 6/27. Just wanted to pick your brains...

- I am renting a tux to deal with the formal nights. We're doing a lot of traveling before and after the cruise, so I wanted to avoid hauling the garment bag. Do I need a sports jacket for the non-formal nights? Or can I just wear button-down dress shirts, khakis, or polo tops? Will this be appropriate?

- Any ideas for things I MUST PACK for the cruise that I may be forgetting? I know you can't scan my brain and figure out what I'm remembering, but I'm talking about "often forgotten" items.

- Any cool/interesting tips that may help me enjoy my experience on the Summit? Good places to hang out... great meals that can't be missed... great shows.... whatever! I was on the Century YEARS ago, so it's been a while since I've had the Celebrity treatment.

SO SO excited!

- Oh, another question - during sea days when you are just hanging out by the pool, can you walk around the ship in flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt? I am just getting this feeling that Celebrity is WAY formal... I don't want to be out of place.

Thanks, AJ

You don't need a sports jacket beyond your rented tux. I usually take one because I enjoy a light jacket but slacks and collared shirt is fine for casual nights.

During day, you can wander around in flip-flops, shorts and t-shirt, shirt around the ship. Enjoy relaxing.

We loved the inside Aqua Spa/T-Spa pool forward, and the Aqua Cafe. fantastic spot for us. Love the Martini Bar.

Denny

Thank you, Denny for the info. I feel a little more relaxed about not having the sports jacket and the clothes I've packed for hanging around the ship.

Do I need to bring a towel? I have read that they have pool towels. Can I take towels off the ship during excursions as long as they are returned?

Thanks! -aj

There are plenty of towels by the pool.

If you need to take a towel off the ship, just tell your cabin attendant, and he/she will bring you a beach towel. When you return it, the cabin attendant will leave you a fresh one, for the next time.

No, Celebrity is NOT "way formal". You will see some gentlemen in sport coats and tie on formal night....maybe even a few without ties! Mostly dark suits. On all the other nights, polos,sports shirts and khakis are just fine. Anything but shorts.

Very casual is great for the ship. Casual at the ports too...except when you are going to be entering churches. My dh will wear lightweight cotton pants or bring his zippered hiking pants along and just zip the leg bottoms on when needed.

A money belt or some type of carrier to keep money safe while touring is recommended in Europe.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

So when I am doing shore excursions, it's OK to wear shorts and a t-shirt as long as I don't enter churches? I was under the impression that in Europe people tend to wear long pants unless they are on the beach or in a resort town. Is this true? It probably depends on the country...

Thanks!

-aj

You will be cruising in the heat of the summer. If you look at any pictures posted here by recent cruisers, the majority are wearing shorts. You, along with the thousands of other tourists, will fit in fine.

Dress for comfort, just be aware of the religious stops. It was mentioned here a bit ago, that one guy carried a pair of medical scrubs in his back pack and just slipped them on over his shorts when entering a church. One woman carried a beach sarape and wrapped it around her shorts to enter a church. Anything works as long as your knees and shoulders aren't exposed;)

Let us know how your cruise goes when you return. We'll be leaving in early Sept. :D

I have built up a few sets for travel that are the light zippered pants and multi-pocket shirts. Nylon and cotton. Light wear that wash easily and dry quickly. I wear pants as shorts and then zip on the legs when/if I need long pants. 'Columbia' is one of the major brands, or cheaper knockoffs. Love them.

Take some hats - I usually don't wear baseball cap types but take a few foldup brimmed hats. Need the shade!

I also find a travel/fishing vest to be very handy. Keep all my stuff in the pockets - safer due to pickpockets with the zippered or inside pockets in vest. I use them for airline travel and put alll my coins, keys, wallet, ID , camera and phone, and etc especially when I'm flying. that way, I just dump my vest on the security roller and don't have to pat myself down to remove stuff. handy for ports and getting on/off ship.

Have a grand cruise! Wish we were packing today. we have to wait until Nov.

Denny

Thanks for the tips on the gear. I need to go find a money belt! Ideas? Walmart? Target?

Do the more port intensive Mediterranean cruises still have music by the pool, events, activities that Caribbean cruises have?

- AJ

We were on the summit in April and found that the bar outdoors on the back of the ship is a great place for watching the ship leaving port, the aqua spa cafe has good healthy breakfasts, there are secluded decks above the pool with chairs. The Summit is great.

In Barcelona in the Cathedral Square we were sitting with coffee and a man asked me the time to distract us, I looked at my watch, and his accomplice tried to grab my husbands backpack from between his legs.

We preferred hopon/hop off buses in Rome, Palermo, Palma, and Sorrento to ship's excursions. We also booked a private tour of Monaco and the Riviera, excellent. Went to Cinque Terre and it was overcrowded, skipped Capri because of same, took a ferry to Sorrento. Have fun!

Just back from the Summit last week. The ship is great.See the production shows - I don't usually enjoy them - but these were very good. The back deck (out back from the buffet) is a great place to sail in or out of ports. Take the trains when you can -- Athens, Rome, Villefranche, - they are great and much less expensive than the ship tours, Have a great trip!

How serious is Celebrity about formal nights? Are tuxedos or dark suits necessary, or will a nice pair of slacks, button down shirt and dark jacket be good enough? What about for children?

Can't figure out how we're supposed to pack light, but dress for formal nights and dinner other nights.

takeavacation, thanks for the tip on the production shows. I will make it a point to attend at least one of them. Do they just do one showing of them? Or one for each dining time?

sammyowl, I will try to get to the back of the ship for the ship departures. Sailing away from a city with a drink after a fun day is a great feeling!

We are trying to do private tours in Athens and Rome - since they are not close to the port and have SO much to do/see. As for the rest of them, we're going to try to do them on our own. I think we're going to try to take a train from Villefranche to Monaco. It's one of my mom's dreams to go to Monaco. I think I'd rather go to Nice, but this is kind of "her" vacation as we're celebrating her recovery from a serious health condition - so I'm going along for the ride. With this itinerary and this ship, it's impossible to not have a great time.

Bardstowntraveller, thanks for the info about the money belt. I am on the fence about the money belt. I could just carry a smaller wallet in my front pocket. I have traveled extensively around Europe when I was younger (early 20's) and never had a problem. But the reason for this could have been the fact that I probably looked young and not loaded with cash! Not that I'm ritzy looking or anything now, but being early thirties the thieves will probably expect me to have more cash on hand (correct assumption!).

Anyway, thanks to everyone. Feverishly packing!

-aj

t Do they just do one showing of them? Or one for each dining time?

I think we're going to try to take a train from Villefranche to Monaco. It's one of my mom's dreams to go to Monaco. I think I'd rather go to Nice, but this is kind of "her" vacation as we're celebrating her recovery from a serious health condition - so I'm going along for the ride. will probably expect me to have more cash on hand (correct assumption!).

There is a production show for each sitting. Also, Monaco and Nice are very close, and you can definitely do both if you want to.

Teacher md, the money belt will ease the fear of pickpockets so you will feel more relaxed and enjoy your visits to churches etc. much much more. Target has a large selection of travel accessories - I'd absolutely go there first. You might consider a security wallet that goes around your neck and under your shirt. Whatever works best for you. I'd get one for your Mom also. And, make sure you take nothing ashore you don't absolutely need. Then, carry a little "run around cash" in your front pants pocket.

Regarding the train to Monaco, be aware that there is a very steep stair which must be climbed to get to the train. I'm hoping your Mom can manage it. It's a quick cheap way to get there - done it twice. However, 3 years ago we were on Century and took the ship's tour there as we were with my FIL, 87 at the time. The tour was perfect for him as he could never have managed the stairs.

Archived