? TAXI FROM NYC PIER TO JFK Or NEWARK?

Crazsea

Hi,

Can you please help with advise?

After completing my Princess cruise ending in NYC, am I better off taking a cab back to JFK airport or to Newark airport to catch my flight home?

Is one much further than the other from the NYC pier?

Do you have an estimate for cab fare to either location?

Do you suggest alternate transportation from the pier to either JFK or EWR other than a cab?

Thank you !:) I am having a tough time deciding.

I don't know the estimated taxi fare, but Newark is much closer to the pier than JFK and traffic is likely to be less.

Newark is a nice airport to fly out of - if we don't fly Jet Blue we often fly out of Newark and we live 15 - 20 minutes from JFK (if there were no traffic ;) - something I think I've seen twice in over 30 years).

Thank you both for your replys. I appreciate it very much!

I can fly out of JFK for $118.00 pp. or for $158.00 I can fly out of Newark. I am still undecided as I have never flown out of JFK. The $40.00 cab fare is not offensive as I would be saving a MINUMUM $40.00 by flying out of JFK based on the savings and the cab fare. I am leaning towards JFK but if I can learn that JFK is not a good choice I will steer away from it! Thank you again for your answers to my question!

http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/

this is a guide- on cruise day there can be BIG lines for cabs, if able walk to 11th Ave and flag a cab there, will have much less wait if the lines are long on 12th. BUT you do need to have packed light and have a good rolling bag. Car service is also an option.

The cab fare to JFK is a fixed rate. If I remember correctly, $40. That was in june. Don't know if it has changed.
The Fixed rate for JFK is only when you DEPART JFK going to Manhatten, not when you hail a taxi to GO TO JFK...

Midtown Manhattten to JFK without rush hour traffic is about $50.00 + tip

Please note : It's my understanding that metored Taxi rates have just recently or are about to go up in NYC.. Making a expensive Taxi ride even more expensive in the near future..:confused:

Srpilo

LGA and JFK are on the same route. Newark is a little farther. Airport traffic is the same ol', same ol', depending on what time of the day, even Sundays but you'll get there one time unless you really cut it short.

A taxi is a flat fee of $35, not including gratuities, to all 3 airports. Was just in the back of a cab yesterday and saw the fee menu listed on the back of the seat.

Do You remember the name of the limo service?

Where did you meet them when you got off the ship?

I'm assuming you were pleased with them!

Thank you everyone! Please keep the info coming. JFK is not sounding so bad. At least not yet!

Sounds like the $80.00 savings in airfare might just be the clincher unless I get the impression otherwise.

I vote for Newark Airport. If you get a bad day going into the Holland Tunnel you can be held up in traffic and depends on the traffic going to JFK. I've done JFK & Newark and from Bayonne, Newark is a lot closer. Not sure about the rates, we normally have family pick us up.

Debbie

I think it would not make much of a difference which airport you take -- Newark and JFK are sort of in opposite directions, but since NYC's cruise ship terminal is right off the ramp on the West Side Highway, it's pretty easy for a cab or car service to hop right on and take you to either Newark or JFK.

You can go over the George Washington Bridge to Newark and just take the turnpike to that airport (which is by Giants Stadium).

For JFK, the eastside to Bruckner or Manhattan Bridge to Queens to JFK or LGA.

They're pretty much both the same -- one isn't necessarily more different than the other.

As stated, Newark will be just a slightly longer ride and the cab will have to deal w/ the traffic over the GW; JFK will be a bit shorter, but then you might hit serious traffic depending on which route you take -- use Bruckner Expressway and the airport is literally right there.

I hope this doesn't confuse you but there's about 800 ways to get to either airport -- however your cabbie will know the best and quickest.

Why not just take Princess transfers? I think for an out-of-towner it would be easiest -- they deal w/ your luggage, you won't have to deal with sometimes surly cabbies and they guarantee to get you to your flight and if they screw up, they deal w/ your rebookings.

At least they should......

Actually HahvadYaad I was thinking they were coming into Bayonne, that's why I was stating Newark. I was going between the RCCL and Princess Board. When we have returned through NY we normally take the Lincoln Tunnel and on a Saturday or Sunday leaving NYC the traffic isn't usually too bad.

Debbie

Archived