Two Questions

knomad

I have two questions I hope someone can help me with.

I am on a low sodium diet. Does Carnival offer any low sodium menu items? Can I just request no salt when I order my food?

We will be taking a wheelchair for me to use, mainly in port. I have had some medical problems this year, and my stamina is not back yet, especially in the heat. Any one have any tips about using a wheel chair? I should be able to walk around the ship and get on and off the ship without it - just need it on shore.

Thanks so much!

The folks at Carnival will be happy to assist you with your dietary needs...

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide meals to our guests with the following special dietary needs: vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, gluten-free, and Kosher. If you have food allergies, please advise your dining staff once onboard, or contact a Guest Access Services Representative to discuss your requirements.

Contact Guest Access Services regarding all your requirements. Call them at 800-438-6744 extension 70025.

Best of luck!!

We traveled for years with my Dad who used a wheelchair mainly for the ports but later all the time. I commend you for bringing your own and not expecting Carnival to provide you with one. We never had any problem using the wheelchair except when we had to get on the elevator. I know that there are sometimes a long wait for the elevator but we had so many people that would just push in front of the wheelchair to get on sometimes we had to wait as long as a half an hour to get on an elevator. We would send one person on the elevator with the wheelchair and the rest of the party would take the stairs so we wouldn't take up so much room and it still was so hard to get the wheeclchair past some of the rude people. Sorry this became a pet peeve of mine because my Dad started feeling bad that he was holding everyone up and all those people pushing onto the elevator in front of the wheelchair could have walked or waited for the next one. This happened on many cruises so it wasn't just a matter of a bad group on one cruise.

The crew were very helpful. On a couple cruises the Maitre D suggested we come to the MDR a few minutes early so my Dad could get the wheelchair through and stowed away by the time the throngs were allowed in. Although we did have few that said mean things to my Dad because he went into the dining room a few minutes early. But I suppose there are those types every where.

I am sure you will have great cruise. The wheelchair should not detract from your enjoyment and it enabled my Dad to travel with us for many more years than he would have been able to without it. Have a great time!! Cindy

Cindy, Thank you for the story about your Dad, he sounds like a very special and patient individual. The rudeness shown your father is simply shameful and while I know most people with disabilities probably don't want to be noticed or treated differently, sometimes it's necessary (like letting a wheelchair on the elevator and waiting for another or taking the stairs) and those that are fully capable should show some courtesy.

Didn't mean to sidetrack this thread, I just couldn't help commenting on the incivility that your father had to endure while cruising. It isn't right. :mad:

Mosel, I know what you mean! We used a wheelchair for many, many years with my Dad, too. Most of the time other people were very nice and opened doors for us and stooped down to speak to Daddy. But one time we took him to a special Catherine the Great exhibit, and it was awful. People came around us and cut in front of us and we couldn't even move. We never took Daddy on a cruise, but I have seen people in wheelchairs and using scooters trying to get on an elevator, and it is so sad. I always stand back and let them on first in memory of Daddy.

Hopefully, I will not be using the wheelchair on the ship. I have had 2 surgeries this year and have been very, very sick. I am recovering, but my stamina is just not quite there yet, especially in the heat. My sister-in-law thought of using a wheelchair in port.

Did you have any problems getting the wheelchair on and off the ship? Anything special we should do? Does it need to be tagged or anything like that?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Mosel - sorry for what happened to your Dad. Some folks just never think about anyone but themselves. Someone mentioned an idea in an earlier post that might work for you here. Whatever direction (up or down) that most people are going in, take the opposite - i.e. if they're all going up, you go down and vice-versa. You'll get to where you want to go but won't have to fight the folks getting on - you'll already be there!

Archived