Harleys in paradise ?

mizona

:cool: DH and I will be in St. Maartin in mid October. We've looked at many excursions and have agreed the Harley rental is our pick. ( we did this in Hawaii and it was one of our favorite ) However, we're trying to be wise with our funds. I checked the private purchase as opposed to the cruise excursion. It was less than HALF the price. Does anyone have any experiences to share on this? Our traveling companions always schedule their previous excursions through the ship. Since we're newbies; I'm up for suggestions. TIA

• 4 weeks later...

In 2005, my DH and I rented a Harley (on our own) from the Harley shop in St. Maarten. It cost about $150 for the day. My DH is an avid Harley rider/owner and that was by far the best excursion in his experience. We rode on both French and Dutch sides, stopped at Sunset Beach, went to Orient Bay and a few other places. I think we kept the bike for about five hours. He still talks about it to this day!

Here’s a link to the place we used. We took a taxi there and a bus back.

http://www.h-dstmartin.com/rentals/

Sure, private excursions (or excursions on your own) will always be a lot less than what's offered through the ship. When you purchase excursions through the ship, you’re basically paying for the service of them coordinating it, plus you buy "insurance" that in case something goes wrong (i.e. running late, accident, etc.) the cruise line has some liability. You just have to make that decision on your own.

Just looking at the site, it looks like the prices are still the same as 4 years ago.

We are also wanting to rent a Harley, when we are in St. Maarten in November. Didn't want to do the ship excursion because of the cost. We had thought of doing it on our own, but wondered about it. So you had no issues with the roads or the other drivers? Thanks, Gail

Archived