Just a FYI - USCG Evacs $$$

Ambrosia64

I always buy trip insurance, but always wondered if the USCG comes to fly you out medevac, does that cost anything (ie that the insurance would cover). So about six months ago I emailed the Coast Guard to ask. Their response was an unequivocal NO, there is NO charge. Of course, I still buy the coverage, so that if I'm hurt outside their range or I need to be flown home from a foreign hospital in medical transport it will be covered.

----------------

Date : 12/02/08 15:25

Good afternoon Ambrosia,

You are correct. The Coast Guard medically evacuates passengers in need of assistance from cruise ships at no cost--all the time. However, the process is not cut and dry. First, we have to have a helicopter available to support the mission. We obviously don't have helicopters in Europe or Africa. Second, a Coast Guard flight surgeon recommends the medevac of a person based on information provided by the cruise ships medical staff. Third, command cadre then looks at other missions currently ongoing, determines which is most important at that time and medevac options if necessary. Priority is determined on a case-by-case basis and often depends on life threatening situations. Sometimes the command may decide to have a cutter/small boat rendezvous with a cruiseship several hours after the initial request. This can be an option if is someone has non-life threatening issues but medical staff is not capable of properly treating aboard the cruise ships. The bottom line is, we want passengers and professional mariners to be safe and receive medical attention when necessary. However their are numerous circumstances in which the Coast Guard must decipher in order to determine the best course of action for removing someone.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

PA1 Jennifer Johnson

My son is a Lt. in the Coast Guard and is a pilot on their HH65 Dolphin helicopters. Though he is now stationed in Kodiak, Alaska and does SARs (search and rescues) in the Bearing Sea for fishermen and crabbers . . . during the four years he was at Air Station Miami, he medevaced quite a few passengers from cruise ships in the Caribbean. The Coast Guard does NOT charge for this service. It's but another example of the fantastic job the United States Coast Guard does (can you tell I'm proud of my son . . . :p).

First, and foremost, THANK YOU Coasties!

As a uniformed service the US Coast Guard, as well as all other uniformed services, are prohibited from charging fees. That's why we get fabulous air shows at Air Force and Navy Bases free of charge. The other side of the coin, regarding travel insurance, is getting from where you evaced to back home. I work, part time, for an air medical service, and we are NOT cheap. That combined with the hospital care and rehabilitation that may be required, can really add up.

Archived