small blow up pool for 1y/o?

deanna1178

Even if I'm in the minority, I still maintain that it WILL take up excessive space. Yes, a kiddie pool would take up about the same amount of space as a lounge chair . . . but, to point out the obvious, the lounge chairs are all still going to be there -- and you know that they're packed in there pretty tightly. Other passengers will have to walk around the lounge chair AND the baby pool, making an already crowded pool deck even more crowded.

And ?????

Just to remind people, the OP is talking about this NCL ship with this deck space....ummm, I think she is going to have some room...lol. :D

Norwegian_Dawn_1.jpg

That picture is a bit misleading as there are normally chairs on the beige deck area. Clearly, they have all been stacked to the side for whatever the reason (it's either early or late in the day).

CeleBrat

That picture is a bit misleading as there are normally chairs on the beige deck area. Clearly, they have all been stacked to the side for whatever the reason (it's either early or late in the day).

CeleBrat

OMG you are right! I can almost see the sunrise/sunset in the background!

Ok enough sarcasm from me lol. The truth of the matter is this... If I can walk passed 3 dozen chairs sprawled across the deck then I can walk passed 35 chairs and a duck tub that's placed in between 2 of the chairs. Period. If I can't then maybe I should make sure I keep my behind in my room as I'd be mad the whole trip that I couldn't go anywhere w/o someone being in my way.

To the OP Deanna...bring the pool. Your child will love being able to swim and you will love not having to worry about him being taken from the pool because of a diaper. When you go please do me a favor and make sure to take a few pics and report back with them. That way everyone can see just how much it was intrusive on others.:D:D:D

beachchick - no flames here either because I know you always take the time to put your concerns in a respectful and thought out way. :)

And I can see your point. If 100 parents show up with 100 pools...then it will no doubt, cause some problems. But at this point, those that bring inflatables are a very small minority. And those that just throw the babies in the main pool are the majority, in overwhelming numbers.

As much as we talk about inflatables around here, I haven't ever seen one in use onboard. But I always see parents ignoring the signs and putting the babies in the pool.

So, until the cruiselines make it official and outlaw inflatables for liability purposes, I will continue to recommend them. :D But I would hope that the cruise lines would instead, step up and actually provide a place for diapered tots - if RCCL and Disney can do it, then we know the others can as well. :D

Thank you for such a great answer and for the compliment. I do try not to get snippy or sarcastic--at least most of the time.:p

You are so right that the overwhelming problem is parents who don't follow the rules regarding non-trained kids and pools. It really peeves me off that so many of them are completely selfish about it. They even put their own children's health at risk by allowing them to swim in ship pools where other non-trained children are "sneaking" a swim. I guess they don't believe that the CDC regulations are there for good reasons, that cruise ship pools are not like large public pools on land, and that the health and safety of others is important.

I too wish the cruise lines would take a clue and retrofit as many ships as possible (especially larger ones and/or those that cruise family-popular itineraries) with at least a small "water play" or similar area for babies/toddlers who are not trained. I know the water requires special treatment and a separate, specialized filtration system. I actually thought this even before I became a grandma. Seems to me that the cruise lines could take a bit of money to do that, considering that families with children are one of their demographics. (Not the only demographic, mind you, so they should also try to have an adult-only pool area too, if possible, like RCI's Solariums--love them!)

deanna1178: Thank you for your nice response too. You sound like exactly the kind of parent and family that we would enjoy seeing onboard. Your thoughtfulness of other passengers and understanding of the whys of rules is comforting to read. I'm sure your DS will thank you later, even if he doesn't like hearing "no" now. No doubt you will have a wonderful cruise. I'd love to hear back on how many parents actually used blow up pools and how it went. Maybe if enough parents bring them, the cruise lines will realize that they need to try to provide something for the really young set to enjoy water-wise.

beachchick

just to throw a little fuel in the fire (rather than a start a new post)...

i am going on a RCCL cruise this summer with our 9 month old DD. it is not a ship that has the baby splash area. i have every intention of letting her get her feet wet in the kiddie area and letting her splash for a few minutes here and there. honestly, if you saw me sitting at the edge of the kiddie splash area, you would say something to me? would you call a RCCL staff member over to reprimand me? it would be one thing if i just plopped her down and let her just sit there in the water for an endless amount of time, allowing her diaper to just turn to mush and become one with the pool, but aside from no attention span, she is pasty white so our time in the sun is severely limited to minutes here and there anyway.

and lets be honest...half the kids that are "fully toilet trained" are no doubt using the pool as a toilet. they are prob contaminating the pool 100x more than DD would.

my in-laws planned this cruise for us not knowing the baby swim situation and our next cruise will most certainly be planned around that. for now, it is what it is.

and re: the blow up pool thing....like i need to pack something else and have a giant duck living my cabin all week? i think not. i'm in agreement with the whole liability factor too regarding other kids and whatnot. its also windy on deck and 2 inches of water isnt going to keep that thing from blowing around.

Dorito - me, personally, no, I wouldn't be calling deck patrol. But there are some on the ship that will. ;) For me, there is a difference between a baby splashing and a baby immersed. But that's me. Not everyone onboard would make that distinction.

Deanna - After looking at the ship pictures I can already predict what is going to happen. I wonder if you can come back and tell us if it does? The kid's pool deck on that ship is incredible. :eek: I am willing to bet that it will be filled with babies, with no crew telling parents to remove the babies. Which will make it unsafe for the babies to actually be in that water. :(

This place looks like alot of fun though.

norwegian-dawn-Kids-Pool.jpg

Beachchick........we did use a blow up pool on the Liberty when gd was

16 months old. It wasn't a rubber duck pool, but a small round pool with

and "arch" over the top. Our room steward was very happy to get it

blown up for us ( and received a token of our appreciation).

We placed the pool in the little "nook" behind the hot tub and beside the

aft deck adult pool. Little pool was entirely out of the way. We filled

with the shower water (little pail) and emptied into shower drain. This

was done each afternoon and not one person complained.

When choosing the dates for our cruises, we try to avoid weeks when

school is out. This helps with the overcrowding. I understand the complaints about children in the pools and agree with the rules. What

everyone needs to realize is that children are charged full rates and they

tooo can enjoy their cruise along with the adults. It's all about getting

along and not having the entitlement that it's my vacation.

Until all the lines provide some sort of water play area for the little ones

to enjoy, and the lines do not post rules banning the small pools, I

think they are fine to use. AND, i agree, they should not be out in the

middle of any walkway.

I'm leaving this Sunday on Mariner and fully plan on using a small blow up pool. It isn't the duck variety, but it's still small and we will do our best to find an unintrusive location. I will take pics and give a full report when I get back!

Personally, I can't see where anyone would be annoyed with a family bringing a small pool if it doesn't get in the way of others. While there may be some people out there that will just plop it down anywhere without consideration for anyone else, I think the vast majority that takes the time to bring one of their own in order to avoide diapers in the pool is already using good judment and is being considerate to the other passengers. People would applaud such actions not frown upon it. BUT, even if they did...WHO CARES?!?! There are no rules against it and I doubt there will ever be. Most families don't even know about these boards and would never think to bring a pool of their own so I doubt that there will eve be more than a few on the decks at any given time.

Dorito - me, personally, no, I wouldn't be calling deck patrol. But there are some on the ship that will. ;) For me, there is a difference between a baby splashing and a baby immersed. But that's me. Not everyone onboard would make that distinction.

Deanna - After looking at the ship pictures I can already predict what is going to happen. I wonder if you can come back and tell us if it does? The kid's pool deck on that ship is incredible. :eek: I am willing to bet that it will be filled with babies, with no crew telling parents to remove the babies. Which will make it unsafe for the babies to actually be in that water. :(

This place looks like alot of fun though.

norwegian-dawn-Kids-Pool.jpg

doesn't it look like fun?!?! we went on the same ship for our honeymoon so I knew the kiddie area was great but I know they don't allow swim diapers, like you said...there will probably still be lots of baby's in there.

just to throw a little fuel in the fire (rather than a start a new post)...

i am going on a RCCL cruise this summer with our 9 month old DD. it is not a ship that has the baby splash area. i have every intention of letting her get her feet wet in the kiddie area and letting her splash for a few minutes here and there. honestly, if you saw me sitting at the edge of the kiddie splash area, you would say something to me? would you call a RCCL staff member over to reprimand me? it would be one thing if i just plopped her down and let her just sit there in the water for an endless amount of time, allowing her diaper to just turn to mush and become one with the pool, but aside from no attention span, she is pasty white so our time in the sun is severely limited to minutes here and there anyway.

and lets be honest...half the kids that are "fully toilet trained" are no doubt using the pool as a toilet. they are prob contaminating the pool 100x more than DD would.

my in-laws planned this cruise for us not knowing the baby swim situation and our next cruise will most certainly be planned around that. for now, it is what it is.

and re: the blow up pool thing....like i need to pack something else and have a giant duck living my cabin all week? i think not. i'm in agreement with the whole liability factor too regarding other kids and whatnot. its also windy on deck and 2 inches of water isnt going to keep that thing from blowing around.

if I saw you on the edge..no I wouldn't say anything. Not my business or my problem, however...you have to remember those rules are not only posted to keep baby's out of the pool due to not being potty trained but also because of what OTHERS do in the pool that you could be exposing your little one too. Yes the pools are treated but like you mentioned, the other potty trained kids probably are peeing or whatever in the pool : /

Plus I don't know about your dd but my ds would not be content with just getting his feet wet ;) It would be all or nothing for him, lol!!

if I saw you on the edge..no I wouldn't say anything. Not my business or my problem, however...you have to remember those rules are not only posted to keep baby's out of the pool due to not being potty trained but also because of what OTHERS do in the pool that you could be exposing your little one too. Yes the pools are treated but like you mentioned, the other potty trained kids probably are peeing or whatever in the pool : /

Plus I don't know about your dd but my ds would not be content with just getting his feet wet ;) It would be all or nothing for him, lol!!

i completely agree. in fact, i originally had said something in my OP about what i'd be exposing DD to, but went back deleted for some reason or another. i figure we wont let DD chew on toys that have gone in the pool, and thank god she doesnt chew on her hands anymore and she'll get a good rinsing in the shower when we take her out. i cant sweat it all, right?

i completely agree. in fact, i originally had said something in my OP about what i'd be exposing DD to, but went back deleted for some reason or another. i figure we wont let DD chew on toys that have gone in the pool, and thank god she doesnt chew on her hands anymore and she'll get a good rinsing in the shower when we take her out. i cant sweat it all, right?

lol no but we can definitely do our best!!! probably why I have a small can of lysol on my packing list to spray down the room and pack n play :eek:

I am hoping I will be a little less of a germaphobe when baby #2 comes along, lol!

lol no but we can definitely do our best!!! probably why I have a small can of lysol on my packing list to spray down the room and pack n play :eek:

I am hoping I will be a little less of a germaphobe when baby #2 comes along, lol!

quick question for you--are you flying? if you said previously, i apologize for the redundancy! the only reason i ask is b/c a few years back, i had to remove a can of static guard from luggage. was told that the only aerosols allowed in luggage (even check-in) were things that you would actually spray on your body (hair spray, etc.). maybe they have loosened up on that (or i just had an anal TSA guy, ?), but just wanted to throw that out there....

quick question for you--are you flying? if you said previously, i apologize for the redundancy! the only reason i ask is b/c a few years back, i had to remove a can of static guard from luggage. was told that the only aerosols allowed in luggage (even check-in) were things that you would actually spray on your body (hair spray, etc.). maybe they have loosened up on that (or i just had an anal TSA guy, ?), but just wanted to throw that out there....

thanks! no we are driving...we are delaware and the cruise is out of NYC

Well I'll have to agree! Those deck chairs are in the way of all the walking that's possible. I know for me to remove a deck chair or slide them so that I can fit a 3 foot blow up pool (guessing on length) in between them will also waste atleast 30 seconds of my cruise and I can't have that! So having said that I move that we not allow anyone that's still in diapers on the pool deck so they can't throw tantrums. I also move that we remove all of the deck chairs since walking around them is intrusive to MY ability to walk from point A to point B in a straight line. It doesn't matter if their's space between them or not for said pool it's a "hassle" walking from one end of the deck to the other with all that stuff in the way!

(if you can't tell that's sarcasm)

PS. you ARE in the minority and if a 3 foot pool is in your way then a deck chair is also so maybe you should avoid that area. Maybe I can quote some of the frequenters of the carnival board "maybe cruising isn't for you"

I've been biting my tongue, so to speak, but decided to risk it anyway. Sure, MrsPete might be in the minority here on this thread on the CC Family Forum. That doesn't automatically mean she is in the minority anywhere else. And it's so unnecessary to say that because someone feels blow up pools on the public decks are inappropriate, then "maybe crusing isn't for" them. Really? Does that mean that maybe cruising isn't for all the parents who think it's completely unfair that most ships don't have pool facilities for babies/non-trained youngsters or who think that their children should be allowed everywhere at all times on the ship, even though it's clearly not appropriate. (Yes, I get that you are a sarcastic person. IMO, MrsPete did nothing to warrant your snippy and sarcastic response.)

dorito6778: If you allowed your DD to actually be in the pool and I saw it, then I would say something. If you allow her to put her feet--and only her feet--into the water for a few minutes, then no I wouldn't. IMO, you really do need to sweat it because so many parents don't give a rip about the health and safety rules. I fear for some youngsters and get a chill thinking about how it may take an actual outbreak of a serious illness for the cruise lines to enforce the regulations and for parents to understand that the rules apply to everyone. As long as you understand that there are many passengers who will say something even if you only allow your DD to put her feet into the water. Some would do it because rules are rules and exceptions to the CDC regulations are not supposed to be made; period. Some would because they would be concerned for either their children or your DD (and her developing immune system). Do make sure you rinse her feet off before and after to minimize any issues.

beachchick

I've been biting my tongue, so to speak, but decided to risk it anyway. Sure, MrsPete might be in the minority here on this thread on the CC Family Forum. That doesn't automatically mean she is in the minority anywhere else. And it's so unnecessary to say that because someone feels blow up pools on the public decks are inappropriate, then "maybe crusing isn't for" them. Really? Does that mean that maybe cruising isn't for all the parents who think it's completely unfair that most ships don't have pool facilities for babies/non-trained youngsters or who think that their children should be allowed everywhere at all times on the ship, even though it's clearly not appropriate. (Yes, I get that you are a sarcastic person. IMO, MrsPete did nothing to warrant your snippy and sarcastic response.)

beachchick

Ok well that wasn't what I was expecting. I posted that whole post with sarcasm. I was trying to be helpful in suggesting that placing a pool BETWEEN two deck chairs wouldn't at all be intrusive to any fellow pax. No I'm not a sarcastic person all the time but it just drove me nuts that someone would continue with how intrusive a pool would be when in fact it's the same as having a row of deck chairs. IMHO it'd be more of a hassle for the parent (who'd be willing to take the time/effort) to make a place for the pool then for any passenger to walk by the deck chair. I'm not saying it'd be alot of trouble to make the room just it wouldn't be as simple as flopping down into a chair. And as far as the "cruising isn't for you" that was sarcastic tone as well. I've been trying to stay away from the drama of the carnival board where that seams to be the norm lately. Between that and the "carnival can do no wrong" posts that are there in abundance. So if my sarcastic post struck you the wrong way I appologize. I'm just trying to help over here on the fam boards as much as I can because the "unknowing" can be stressful and vacations are supossed to be fun!

We bring ours along every cruise. We use it in the shower as a bathtub. It was great for DD on the lido deck even dry with some toys in it worked great as a blow up playpen between our chairs. We didnt find it intrusive at all but we picked a more out of the way spot. We have also used it next to the big pool on the open deck. No one minded a bit but we did make sure to move it once the pool games got started.

Even if I'm in the minority, I still maintain that it WILL take up excessive space. Yes, a kiddie pool would take up about the same amount of space as a lounge chair . . . but, to point out the obvious, the lounge chairs are all still going to be there -- and you know that they're packed in there pretty tightly. Other passengers will have to walk around the lounge chair AND the baby pool, making an already crowded pool deck even more crowded.

The duck pool is long and narrow, probably 2ft wide at most. We are not talking alot of space here. In that case, no one with a wheelchair, walker, rolling cooler, suitcase or any other space taking item should be aloud on the decks because someone might have to take an additional step and walk around them :rolleyes: Most families gathering information on this board are very considerate of other passengers. I am sure they would choose an out of the way area that is NOT in a direct walking path just as we have done in the past. I say bring it and enjoy. People will be so busy enjoying their cruise they wont even notice the pool.

And ?????
And it's rude to inconvenience your fellow travelers.

CeleBrat

Yep, more than a bit misleading, as anyone who's ever been on a ship will tell you! It's a lovely picture, but not representative of the pool deck on any ship.
I too wish the cruise lines would take a clue and retrofit as many ships as possible (especially larger ones and/or those that cruise family-popular itineraries) with at least a small "water play" or similar area for babies/toddlers who are not trained.
I agree that this is the only answer -- if the ship wants to attract families as customers (and I think they do want that), then they neeed to provide facilities for infants. It's not reasonable for individuals to try to change the ship into something it's not.

Ok well that wasn't what I was expecting. I posted that whole post with sarcasm. I was trying to be helpful in suggesting that placing a pool BETWEEN two deck chairs wouldn't at all be intrusive to any fellow pax.
But the problem is that most cruise ship chairs are butted up side-by-side. There isn't any "between" space. Here are a couple quick google-image pix. You'll see that the chair arms are literally touching. I wasn't able to locate any pictures of chairs with tables between them or real space that could be used for a small pool. This leaves ONLY the aisles for pools, and that IS going to impact other people as they move around the already-crowded chairs.

20080711_172708_DECK%2520CHAIRS%2520ON%2520CRUISE%2520SHIP(RF)_view.jpg royal-caribbean-cruise-lines-deck-chairs.jpg p_1173302.jpg

watermark.php%3Fi%3D120005 deck-chairs-eve.jpg istockphoto_425933-blue-cruise-ship-deck-chairs.jpg

We're leaving on Thursday for a vacation (a driving trip to the western national parks), and we're avoiding the trouble with carry-on liquids. We mailed all our toiletries (and a couple sharp knives for cooler meals, pocket knives, and a lighter) ahead so we don't have to bother with the TSA rules. We used a large flat-rate Priority mail box, and it cost $14.50 -- I did pay a little extra for delivery confirmation, so I have a tracking number and a phone number I can call on Tuesday. The package should waiting for us at our hotel on Thursday.

I did call the hotel ahead of time to make sure they accept packages, and they told me to label it clearly with my name and the phrase "Hold for guest arrival on July 2". They say they do this all the time.

I also checked on this with the post office before mailing the package. They DO have rules on what can be mailed:

If you're mailing liquids (i.e., shampoo, mouthwash), the bottles must be in ziplock bags.

You can only mail aerosols that are toiletry-type items (i.e., deodorant, sunscreen, bug spray), and the bottles must have lid on top that'll prevent the product from spraying in transit. I did put these into ziplock bags too, just to be safe.

I'm thinking that this is going to be way easier than dealing with TSA at the airport.

Ok I just dont get this thread anymore. I've read the whole thing and i still dont get it. people complain about other people letting their diapered children in the open pools and hot tubs and still have issues if a parent wants to bring a seperate pool for their diapered kid. :confused::rolleyes: I pesonally dont think it would be a inconvience to other travelers and workers. heck i know i'd be happy to see a few duck pools around the deck. I am sure the workers would love to help anyone out that has a blow up pool. whether it be a little inconvience to other travelers or not atleast I would know my child is having fun. just gotta keep in mind babies and toddlers are people too. why not move outta the way a few extra steps. It wont kill anyone to just walk around them if need be. just my opinion.

and yes mrspete it would be a nice option for cruiselines to add a place for diapered children. they gotta have some kinda fun onboard as well.but till they do parents gotta do what they gotta do and make their childrens cruise as memorable as possible too. not by being pushed around in a stroller. So I am all for bring the blow up pools. maybe then the cruiselines would get a area for them as well.

Ok well that wasn't what I was expecting. I posted that whole post with sarcasm. I was trying to be helpful in suggesting that placing a pool BETWEEN two deck chairs wouldn't at all be intrusive to any fellow pax. No I'm not a sarcastic person all the time but it just drove me nuts that someone would continue with how intrusive a pool would be when in fact it's the same as having a row of deck chairs. IMHO it'd be more of a hassle for the parent (who'd be willing to take the time/effort) to make a place for the pool then for any passenger to walk by the deck chair. I'm not saying it'd be alot of trouble to make the room just it wouldn't be as simple as flopping down into a chair. And as far as the "cruising isn't for you" that was sarcastic tone as well. I've been trying to stay away from the drama of the carnival board where that seams to be the norm lately. Between that and the "carnival can do no wrong" posts that are there in abundance. So if my sarcastic post struck you the wrong way I appologize. I'm just trying to help over here on the fam boards as much as I can because the "unknowing" can be stressful and vacations are supossed to be fun!

I appreciate your explanation. And your last sentence is one I can get behind completely: There is often far too much stress in planning vacations; I believe even the planning should be fun (whether traveling with or without children).

beachchick

I appreciate your explanation. And your last sentence is one I can get behind completely: There is often far too much stress in planning vacations; I believe even the planning should be fun (whether traveling with or without children).

beachchick

The only thing I find unfun (if that's a word) about MY planning is the fact I don't get to do enough of it! I usually start planning and get so wrapped up in it that I'm completed in a few short days and then have a LONG time to wait until I get to set the plan into motion. I need to win the lottery....

Archived