Boarding the Windspirit in Venice

steel magnolia

Found where the Windspirit docks in Venice, but unclear whether we have to go through one of the terminals or just go to the dock. The berth is at the S. Marta docks, which isn't very close to any of the terminals. As we will be coming from a hotel, I'd like to avoid wandering around with my luggage any more than I have to. Any suggestions?

I will be going on the Windspirit on July 18th, and I looked up the port information on line the Windsprit for my cruise is at San Basilo pier number29. If you wish I could email you the information and map.

I should have typed Wind Star instead of Wind Sprirt! We were on the Spirit last voyage, and I "had it on the brain". You can look up where your ship is docked on the VTP Venice Terminal web site. Both ships will be in Venice at the same time. My apologies for the confusion.

[Found where the Windspirit docks in Venice, but unclear whether we have to go through one of the terminals or just go to the dock. The berth is at the S. Marta docks, which isn't very close to any of the terminals. As we will be coming from a hotel, I'd like to avoid wandering around with my luggage any more than I have to. Any suggestions?

We were on the Windstar "Wind Surf" June 7-14, and ours was docked at the San Basilio terminal. Do NOT take the free port shuttle from the Piazzale Roma parking lot, because it takes you only to the main port for the larger Costa/MSC/Royal Caribbean ships.

Easiest, no hassle method (but most expensive) is to take a private water taxi for about 60E directly from your hotel to the terminal. For a cheaper method but involves more hassle & dragging your luggage, take the vaporetto public water bus to the San Basilio stop, near the Zattere stop. From San Basilio, walk to the left about 200 yds, go thru security screening, then walk 1/4 mile down the pier to the ship. Fine but if you are hauling a lot of luggage or have limited mobility, I'd recommend the water taxi. The vaporetto water buses can be confusing & very crowded in summer high season.

[Found where the Windspirit docks in Venice, but unclear whether we have to go through one of the terminals or just go to the dock. The berth is at the S. Marta docks, which isn't very close to any of the terminals. As we will be coming from a hotel, I'd like to avoid wandering around with my luggage any more than I have to. Any suggestions?

We were on the Windstar "Wind Surf" June 7-14, and ours was docked at the San Basilio terminal. Do NOT take the free port shuttle from the Piazzale Roma parking lot, because it takes you only to the main port for the larger Costa/MSC/Royal Caribbean ships.

Easiest, no hassle method (but most expensive) is to take a private water taxi for about 60E directly from your hotel to the terminal. For a cheaper method but involves more hassle & dragging your luggage, take the vaporetto public water bus to the San Basilio stop, near the Zattere stop. From San Basilio, walk to the left about 200 yds, go thru security screening, then walk 1/4 mile down the pier to the ship. Fine but if you are hauling a lot of luggage or have limited mobility, I'd recommend the water taxi. The vaporetto water buses can be confusing & very crowded in summer high season.

My TA contacted Wind Star to find out which terminal to go to for the Wind Star July 18 Venice to Athens cruise. The only info they had for our cruise was to go to the S. Basilio terminal. The actual ship berth is at the S. Marta zone, berth 27, per the VTP. After reading the advice given here, we will definitely take a water taxi to the S. Basilio terminal. Many thanks to those of you that responded to this thread (even if I had the wrong ship name posted!) Hope we all have a wonderful time as usual.

Steel Magnolia,

Still a little confused, but it appears that we are both on the Wind Star. Am I correct? I have already arranged for a water taxi to take us to the ship that day from our hotel. Do you need ther name of the company? Also, what hotel are you staying in, maybe we can split a taxi.

Took Windsurf out of Venice last year. The Vaporetto to San Basilio is fine and much less expensive as long as you can handle your luggage about 100 yards from the dock. You have to take one small bridge and then you meet up with the baggage handlers for Windstar. If you are using a roling suitcase it is no problem, other than the small hassle of getting on the vaporetto.

My wife and I are 57 and had little problem.

Steel Magnolia,

Still a little confused, but it appears that we are both on the Wind Star. Am I correct? I have already arranged for a water taxi to take us to the ship that day from our hotel. Do you need ther name of the company? Also, what hotel are you staying in, maybe we can split a taxi.

Yes, we are sailing on the Wind Star. Will wait until we get to the hotel for their suggestions as to the best way for us to travel to the S Basilio. We are staying at the Antiche Figure Hotel, which a lot of cruisers use pre or post cruise.

Archived