Info on Port Boston

Arties1945

We are leaving on a cruise out of Boston in Sept. and looking for suggestions as to where or what would be a good hotel to stay at the day before the cruise. We would like to see some of Boston area, and maybe take in the famous Cheers Bar. Any suggestions on a good hotel to stay at. Thanks.

Boston hotels are outrageously expensive. What date are you looking at? How many people? How many beds? Would you consider a nonrefundable reservation? Folks have been getting excellent deals by using Priceline or Hotwire. Any 3.5*+ hotel in Downtown, Quincy Market, Copley or Waterfront would be super and any 3* hotel would be more than acceptable.

138E is outraged by Boston hotel prices, but they are what they are. Big city hotels in the Northeast are expen$ive - they charge what the market can bear and seem to be doing pretty well.

Hunt around for good prices, then check back here and we can tell you what's good. Previous good choices on CC were the Boston Park Plaza and the Millennium Bostonian.

I'm not outraged - I just said the prices are outrageous. However, there have been lots of good deals recently on Hotwire and Priceline and occasional good offers from the hotels themselves. The OP needs to give us more info about his or her budget, dates, and people.

"Outrageous" is a value judgment that you're making. Boston hotel rooms are expensive, but not more so than other major cities. It's the times we live in. Shopping around can help. Let's not turn off folks to our fine city and make the prices seem like an aberration...

I'll tell you what's outrageously priced...Red Sox tickets sold by the local agencies. Now, we can talk about that! :eek:

I just wish I had the opportunity to see a Red Sox game upclose and personal.:D I'd pay the price.

OP - I won't tangle on the hotel issue, Boston prices can be high especially in Sept/Oct. Big college town, etc.

Anway, let me chime in on the Cheers Bar - it is near the Public Garden, which is nice in Sept. The only part of the bar that would be recognizable is the walk down the stairs. Once inside, its not your "Fathers Cheers Bar"

does not look like anything on the TV, etc. Expensive, but they have all kinds of T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. if you want something like that.

My advice. walk down the stairs, open the door take a peek and then go to another place and enjoy some atmosphere.:)

Anway, let me chime in on the Cheers Bar - it is near the Public Garden, which is nice in Sept. The only part of the bar that would be recognizable is the walk down the stairs. Once inside, its not your "Fathers Cheers Bar"

does not look like anything on the TV, etc. Expensive, but they have all kinds of T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. if you want something like that.

My advice. walk down the stairs, open the door take a peek and then go to another place and enjoy some atmosphere.:)

Northender is right ~ the bar only resembles it from the outside. They have a built a new Cheers bar in Feneuill (sp?) that is a recreation of the inside, but still looks different since it's always filled with hundreds of tourists!

Cheers is still cool to visit and take photos outside if you haven't seen it, just as long as you know what to expect.

Archived