?'s About Alaska

I am working on a cruise next year to alaska form seattle on the Spirit. Due to this economy we are not going to be able to get a balcony as planned. That being said we are considering a oceanview or a obstructed interior room. I like the idea of having a room with the french doors that open, so we can get some of that Alaskan cold air in our room. What do you think and suggest?

Also any pics are great!:p

Not on the Spirit, but we took an OV on the HAL Volendam. We spent most of our time on the Lido and in the Crow's Nest. At the glacier we were allowed onto the bow, and enjoy HAL's pea soup!

We have also had a balcony to Alaska. If the choice was Alaska in an OV or not go, I would choose the OV and spend time on deck.

I am working on a cruise next year to alaska form seattle on the Spirit. Due to this economy we are not going to be able to get a balcony as planned. That being said we are considering a oceanview or a obstructed interior room. I like the idea of having a room with the french doors that open, so we can get some of that Alaskan cold air in our room. What do you think and suggest?

Just off the Spirit last week. If you can't do the balcony do the ocean view. Frankly you won't spend as much time on the balcony as you do in the caribbean etccc... Too damn cold.

We had one of those obstructed view rooms with a railing (you can't get out on the balcony) and french doors on our trip on the Spirit last year...category 7a I believe. You don't see much with the lifeboats in the way, and it does let some fresh air in, but generally it doesn't serve any real purpose, unless you get it for $385 a person, like we did! You pretty much need to go to an open area of the ship to see anything. The Spirit is a very nice ship.

Just off spirit 2 weeks ago. We had inside room on deck 5. Never missed the balcony, was great for sleeping. Never in room, spent all our time on Lido deck.

I had the same as Flynlo, Inside cabin on the spirit and did not miss the balcony because I was never in my room. We had an OV on Holland America and although it was nice to look out the window every once in a while but we spent the bulk of time on the lido deck looking out the bigger windows. IMO I would save the money and take an inside cabin as the spirit has the best viewing areas on the lido deck.

Just off the Spirit last week. If you can't do the balcony do the ocean view. Frankly you won't spend as much time on the balcony as you do in the caribbean etccc... Too damn cold.

I would think this largely depends on the person. It sounds like the OP might just be like me. I was NEVER cold on our Alaska trip. I wore a light jacket on the northernmost days, but I loved the chill! I sat on our balcony a LOT in my pjs and robe.

We went to Alaska for the first time last year. Usually we get an inside cabin to save money. I don't see any value in a window but a balcony on an Alaska cruise is worth it!

You can go up on deck to view, but this is not like a typical Caribbean cruise where there is nothing to see while at sea. In the Inside Passage, there is almost always scenery to look at. Mountains, wildlife, you name it. A balcony is a must for this cruise!

My advice is: if you are really tight on cash, skip Alaska - you can save even more by going on a Caribbean cruise in the Fall, get an inside cabin there and you will save boatloads! Alaska slaps a $50 per head tax on cruise pax, plus the cruises are more expensive overall.

Save Alaska for when you can get a balcony!

My advice is: if you are really tight on cash, skip Alaska

I couldn't disagree more. I have done Alaska twice with a balcony, and I'd be surprised if I spent more than 2 hours total on the balcony between both cruises. 99% of the enjoyment I got had nothing to do with the balcony. You will enjoy the Alaskan cruise no matter WHAT category of cabin you get. Sure, you may enjoy a balcony a bit more, but that is not a good reason not to go if your finances won't allow for a balcony...

Archived