Flight conf'd Thomas Cook Airlines Gatwick to Barbados - what are TCX like?

Hello, we've just had our air notification for N928 in Dec, very early, however we are booked onto Thomas Cook Airlines. On a previous P&O cruise Thomas Cook Airlines had such poor reviews we chose to upgrade to premium and were actually moved to First Choice premium which was great.

After my initial dissapointment with the confirmation I found this on the Thomas Cook website in their press releases:

From 1 May 2008, fly with Thomas Cook Airlines and enjoy a 33 inch seat pitch as standard on all its long-haul flights. You'll get more than just extra leg room when you choose to travel with the most famous name in the industry, including seat back TVs, a complimentary four course meal and Thomas Cook's legendary in-flight customer service.

Please note: current economy long-haul seat pitch on Thomas Cook Airlines is 30 inches. British Airways offers 31 inches in World Traveller and Virgin Atlantic 31 inches in economy.

This is reassuring, and I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of the planes since they have increased the seat pitch?

Many thanks,

Tracy

We travelled with Thomas Cook last October to Barbados to join Ventura. We like you had heard bad things about them. I must say that we found them to be very good. The leg room has increased and the service was very good along with the free booze. The check in at Manchester was very quick and we even got the seats we wanted, two together. We found that being early for check in that it did help with selection of seats.

They are alot better these days and we are not troubled if they give us Thomas Cook again.

• 2 weeks later...

We have flown with Thomas Cook to BDS, we found them to be fine. We were also in Premium we always do if possible & we think it is worth the extra, not only for the extra room but the quick check in, priority boarding & disembarkation.

Hello all,

I haven't flown much before (twice last year to and from miami on BA) and having read a negative review on here about P&O using Thomas Cook charter flights I was a bit reluctant to book, so it's good to read some more positive reviews. Has anyone flown with them in the economy seats? What is the food like? Do they have online check in? I haven't recieved the details of my holiday yet, but I'm assuming the flights will be with thomas cook!

Thanks for any info!

You can't do online check in on any P&O charter flights. We flew to Barbados in March on Thomsonfly economy and found they have increased the seat pitch considerably since we last flew three years ago so legroom was not a problem

Brian

Hello all,

I haven't flown much before (twice last year to and from miami on BA) and having read a negative review on here about P&O using Thomas Cook charter flights I was a bit reluctant to book, so it's good to read some more positive reviews. Has anyone flown with them in the economy seats? What is the food like? Do they have online check in? I haven't recieved the details of my holiday yet, but I'm assuming the flights will be with thomas cook!

Thanks for any info!

We have tried the premium but now fly cattle class (really did not think the extra was worth it). If the flight is in the 2-4-2 configuration with the seat back in flight entertainment system then economy is fine. If it is in the older 3-3-3 configuration or uses the roof level in flight entertainment system then it is less pleasant.

I have been told the food is the same in both premium and economy ... except that in premium it is served on plates with cloth napkins rather than tin foil trays and paper napkins.

There is no online check-in. Your flights could be with Thomas Cook, Thomson or Monarch (I think ... have they been taken over?). You can get your flight details by contacing the P&O call centre or checking the online cruise personaliser (although flights are only posted a few months befoe departure).

• 1 month later...

We flew to Florida (and back) on one of Thomas Cooks new A330 airbuses in June, we always upgrade to premium. It was a nice new plane, loads of room, plus the premium cabin held approx 50 people and there were only about 15 of us in it:).....so after take off everyone really spread out. Service was very good, plenty of (free) drinks, food ok, the usual pamper packs, lots of tv channels to watch, and games to play on the seat back tvs. Flights were on time, check in was very quick and smooth and bags were off first when we landed. Have flown a few times with BA, but personal preference is for TC....but......the other side.............

My son and his girlfriend flew out a week before us and also upgraded, all ok going out, but coming home, they didnt have a plane available with a premium cabin.........I had read about this on another forum, which basically says they have 6 (not really sure of the amount) new planes, and on a weekly basis one is taken out for routine maintenance, so if you're unlucky you get the old banger replacement. What really annoyed my son, is that instead of offering you a form to claim your money back that you had paid for your upgrade when you checked in, you had to write in to claim it, it took them quite a few letters and emails to get their money back.

I prefer premium, I am not worried about the free drinks etc, all I want is the extra room, and as far as food and drink is concerned a cheese sandwich and a bottle of water would be fine, as long as I can stretch my legs out:D

As an ex Flight Attendant for 16 years, I will make a suggestion which you probably won't agree with! Try to do the flight just on water. By all means take the free miniatures and take them to the cruise or home with you, but if you only drink juice or water, you will feel soooooo much better when you get there. Flying is dehydrating and so is alcohol. You will avoid the headaches and the dryness if you get lots of water inside you.

Just a thought! Don't hit me!!

Archived