Dzibilchalyun???

Beth

Dzibilchaltun is a ruin about 20-25 minutes from Progreso. The easiest would most likely be the ship excursion, but I'd do this one on my own for more flexibility and freedom, and probably it'd cost less also. Speak to a cab driver at the port about taking you to Dzib. and waiting for you, and bringing you back. Let's say 25 minutes each way and 2-3 hours at Dzib. Get a rate, he should charge you around $12-$15 per hour. Entrance to Dz is about $7 pp. They have a great museum, interesting ruins, and a cenote for swimming. A cenote is a crystal clear pool fed from an underground river. There are thousands of them in Yucatan. They are lovely and refreshing. Bring your towel.

Dzibilchaltun is a ruin about 20-25 minutes from Progreso. The easiest would most likely be the ship excursion, but I'd do this one on my own for more flexibility and freedom, and probably it'd cost less also. Speak to a cab driver at the port about taking you to Dzib. and waiting for you, and bringing you back. Let's say 25 minutes each way and 2-3 hours at Dzib. Get a rate, he should charge you around $12-$15 per hour. Entrance to Dz is about $7 pp. They have a great museum, interesting ruins, and a cenote for swimming. A cenote is a crystal clear pool fed from an underground river. There are thousands of them in Yucatan. They are lovely and refreshing. Bring your towel.

Thanks for this info on Dzib. My family and I are trying to make up our minds about the shore excursions. I noticed that you are sailing on Fantasy in July. We will also on July 25th. Will you be on at the same time? We will be traveling with a 13 yo & 9 yo. Do you have any suggestions for activities at either Progresso or Cozumel? Thanks!

We are sailing on July 11th.

I think in Cozumel your kids might enjoy a good, old beach day, probably at Paradise Beach or one of the other beaches, where they can ride lots of water toys, swim, etc.

I think in Progreso they may enjoy the double decker bus tour, sitting up top, and then maybe to Dzibilchaltun, break up their ruins visit with a swim in the cenote for fun and to cool off.

Sorry that we will miss you on our cruise! Hope yours is enjoyable and everything is well at your other home.

How do you suggest doing Dzibilchaltun and getting there? Would you book a shore excursion through the ship or wait until we dock and book with an independent?

Personally, I am not a fan of the ship excursions in general, as I don't enjoy the bus/group experience, but they can be comforting in an unfamiliar situation, so it's a personal call.

You can just as easily hire a taxi at the pier, explain you want to go to Dzibilchaltun, that you want them to wait for you X hours (lets say approximately 2, maybe 3, depending on your interest in these type of things) and bring you back. You should pay probably around $12/hour for the taxi plus tip, plus about $7/per person (in pesos) to enter Dzib. Swimming in the cenote is free. There is not a restaurant, only some small snacks, so you may want to plan for this.

If you are having a hard time communicating with the taxi, just write down what you want.

Thanks for this info on Dzib. My family and I are trying to make up our minds about the shore excursions. I noticed that you are sailing on Fantasy in July. We will also on July 25th. Will you be on at the same time? We will be traveling with a 13 yo & 9 yo. Do you have any suggestions for activities at either Progresso or Cozumel? Thanks!

Just my two cents...............Having two children in the middle of a Mexican desert in July, get ready to be hot. I live in Texas and the heat is already unbearable in Houston. If you are not used to scorching heat could be a rough day. Not trying to talk you out of anything, just giving a little info. There is the Cenote there to swim in, so bring bathing suits.

Last year I went to Dz through the Autoprogreso tour. Carnival's tour is $53 a person and Autoprogreso offers what I believe to be the same exact tour for $29. It will save you a little money since you have a few people in your party. We booked it as soon as we got off of the ship in the little shopping center. You really can't miss their office there. The buses we took were nice and comfortable. We went on a tour of the museum and the ruins, then took a dip in the cenote! It was really refreshing to jump in the water! I had a good time!

The ride to the ruins was about 20-30 min. The tour of the museum, ruins, swimming in the cenote, then going back to the main entrance for a drink, restroom etc. before leaving all lasted approx. 2 hours. Then we rode back to the beach. There is still plenty of time to hang out at the beach after, do a little Progreso exploring, get some lunch, etc.

I can suggest Chankanaab (sp??) Park in Cozumel. You can catch a taxi there for $10. It's got great facilities! You can snorkel there or just relax on the "beach". The food and drinks were great! I did the Royal Swim with the dolphins with my mother-in-law. It was fantastic! It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience and I can't compliment the park, its trainers and staff enough about the experience I had. Your kids would love it! I can't wait to have a few of my own and bring them with me see the dolphins!

• 2 weeks later...
Just my two cents...............Having two children in the middle of a Mexican desert in July, get ready to be hot. I live in Texas and the heat is already unbearable in Houston. If you are not used to scorching heat could be a rough day. Not trying to talk you out of anything, just giving a little info. There is the Cenote there to swim in, so bring bathing suits.

Last time I checked there wasn't any desert in the Yucatan! :)

But yes, it is hot. A humid heat too, which makes it more sticky.

Happy planning!

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any danger of not getting back to the ship on time using AutoProgreso? I'm very nervous about that aspect of it. Do the buses seem well maintained?

Also, is the museum at DZ open on Mondays? I read on the AutoProgreso site that all museums in Progreso are closed on Mondays.

Thank you!

Archived