Hollywood Roosevelt or Sportsmen Lodge?? HELP CHOOSE!:-)

svetty

Hi, i read many reviews about both hotels and i am torn what is a better choice, to use shuttle, taxi and go to Hollywood Roosevelt and be close to everything and then take shuttle or taxi to the pier on sunday...OR...rent a car and stay at Sportsmen Lodge but then on sunday take the car to the airport and shuttle from there to the pier?

I am so torn...i can't decide:)) Please guide me in the right direction!!'

Thank you!!

Simple decision for you...

Do you want to be in more expensive, city, area?

Like you want to do more bars and nightclubs?

Are you feeling more like Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan?

Do you like high maintenance luxury?

Or do you want to have a more low key, relaxing poolside experience?

Close to the downtown Hollywood, but in it's own nice green neighborhood?

Are you feeling more like Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock?

Do you like down to earth history?

Both are good for different reasons, it just depends what you want.

I live near Sportsman's Lodge. It's old and run down now. They are renovating part of it from what I have read in the papers. I would not recommend that someone stay there. There really isn't much to see in Sherman Oaks. It's not even near the Galleria, which I do not recommend for tourists. Stay in Santa Monica, Stay in Beverly Hills/West Hollywood, Culver City, Marina Del Rey or Manhattan Beach. More to do there. There are other areas that are good - like Universal City - but, if you are going and coming from LAX/San Pedro - you will be driving too much to stay in Studio City/Sherman Oaks.

I live near Sportsman's Lodge. It's old and run down now. They are renovating part of it from what I have read in the papers. I would not recommend that someone stay there. There really isn't much to see in Sherman Oaks. It's not even near the Galleria, which I do not recommend for tourists. Stay in Santa Monica, Stay in Beverly Hills/West Hollywood, Culver City, Marina Del Rey or Manhattan Beach. More to do there. There are other areas that are good - like Universal City - but, if you are going and coming from LAX/San Pedro - you will be driving too much to stay in Studio City/Sherman Oaks.

It's not old and run down ChatKat!

it's a fantastic place to stay, especially for seeing Universal and Hollywood.

Free shuttles to and from.

The rooms and the pool are great.

It's one of the best secret deals in all of Los Angeles.

Most music celebrities stay there, when they have gigs in Hollywood and LA.

If someone's point and purpose is to be in the Universal/Hollywood area, then it's a perfect home base location.

I don't know why your thinking that it's closer to Sherman Oaks than it is...

It's actually a fast and free few minutes with the hotel's shuttles to and from Universal/Hollywood.

Lot's of recent Cruise Critic Members have had recent great stays there.:D

I guess, since we want to check out some clubs, it would be better to stay in Roosevelt this time, but next time we go we probably stay at the Lodge:))

i think there will be enough time to chill out by the pool on the ship, so in LA i'd just party and shop:))

Hi, i read many reviews about both hotels and i am torn what is a better choice, to use shuttle, taxi and go to Hollywood Roosevelt and be close to everything and then take shuttle or taxi to the pier on sunday...OR...rent a car and stay at Sportsmen Lodge but then on sunday take the car to the airport and shuttle from there to the pier?

I am so torn...i can't decide:)) Please guide me in the right direction!!'

Thank you!!

You may want to think about the Beverly Hilton. Its on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Blvd. ITs home of the Golden Globes and Rodeo drive and everything Hollywood. But not stuck right in the middle of it. I stayed there once while on vacation before I moved to LA. The bad thing about Sportsman Lodge is that it is close to Sherman Oaks...Not that sherman oaks is a bad place...I loved it and would like to live there. BUt to get to any of the "Hollywood" attraction you have to drive through the hills. Sportsman lodge is at the base of COldwater Canyon which will get you into Beverly hills. Basically where the Beverly Hilton is. It is also going to be alot less than the Roosevelt. I had dinner there with friends and our tab for 4 was $800.00. Also with either location, you will have parking cost. I think Beverly hilton was $21 a night in and out.....not sure about Roosevelt. The Roosevelt is right in the middle of to much traffic and to many tourist. The Beverly Hilton is a great central location. It really depends on "what" your really wanting to see or do the most in the short time your going to be there.

I agree re your post -- and I really DO live very near Sportsmens' Lodge, just about 4-5 miles away (Hollywood) and am in the area ALL the time for various reasons, not the least of which is that Hollywood per se (where I live in the hills) does not offer shopping, et al, that I am looking for.

Sportsmens Lodge in Studio City is not run down -- the main restaurant and banquet halls were sold but nothing has been torn down yet - no construction going on. No mess. I drove around the place recently and it all looks the way it always has.

If you want to see celebs, you can see them anywhere in the L.A. area -- there might be a few at the Roosevelt at times but for day to day viewing, you can't beat Studio City. I've seen multiple celebs around there -- most recently Mischa Barton at the Ralphs market across the street from Sportsmens Lodge.

Hollywood and Studio City are very close together -- just a few miles/short ride down the 101 freeway or via Cahuenga Blvd to Highland Ave. Sportsmens is open and airy with lots of trees in the entire area; Roosevelt is surrounded by concrete and buildings. Yes, it's been restored nicely, but the general area is really unattractive to me.

Either way, EITHER WAY, the visitor will have a long freeway ride to San Pedro. If the person wants to rent a car, I think they'd be better off renting one near Sportsmens' where parking is easy -- free and plentiful -- than haggling with valets and crowded streets around the Hollywood Roosevelt.

The only touristy thing near the Roosevelt is the Hollywood and Highland complex and ability to walk around there and look at celebrity names on 'walk of fame.' Not a dime's worth of difference time-wise for getting to Universal City et al. It's right in between Sportsmens and the Roosevelt.

If I were choosing between just those two, I'd pick Sportsmens Lodge over the Roosevelt. Otherwise I'd recommend either Beverly Hills, Santa Monica (or some other beach city closer to the ship's pier) for a brief stay and things to see and do.

Just my two cents.........

It's not old and run down ChatKat!

it's a fantastic place to stay, especially for seeing Universal and Hollywood.

Free shuttles to and from.

The rooms and the pool are great.

It's one of the best secret deals in all of Los Angeles.

Most music celebrities stay there, when they have gigs in Hollywood and LA.

If someone's point and purpose is to be in the Universal/Hollywood area, then it's a perfect home base location.

I don't know why your thinking that it's closer to Sherman Oaks than it is...

It's actually a fast and free few minutes with the hotel's shuttles to and from Universal/Hollywood.

Lot's of recent Cruise Critic Members have had recent great stays there.:D

hmmm...everyone is starting to slowly change my mind about the hotel...:)

i do suppose that the only thing near roosevelt is the walk of fame and such...for which i could just book a redline tour...

but if i were to go to a club in the evening, how much would it cost to take a taxi from the Sportsmen Lodge? approximately, i dont drink and drive, and i expect to have few drinks at the club

Perhaps I'll add further to the confusion by recommending the Farmer's Daughter on Fairfax across the street from the Grove shopping/entertainment center, and basically also across the street from CBS and the Farmers Market. Fun and funky, lobby full of pictures of The Price is Right contestants who've stayed there. The location is superb, it's not terribly expensive, it's relatively car-friendly and it's a lot of fun for first-time or infrequent visitors to LA. http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/

Perhaps I'll add further to the confusion by recommending the Farmer's Daughter on Fairfax across the street from the Grove shopping/entertainment center, and basically also across the street from CBS and the Farmers Market. Fun and funky, lobby full of pictures of The Price is Right contestants who've stayed there. The location is superb, it's not terribly expensive, it's relatively car-friendly and it's a lot of fun for first-time or infrequent visitors to LA. http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/

LOL!:D

I'm going to agree with you that Farmer's Daughter is a great hotel!

You can see my pics and report here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=555307

But I'm pretty sure that svetty wants a real "Hollywood" club type experience, and while there are fantastic local hole in the wall places there, not so much real "Hollywood" clubs...

(You'll see Gardyloo, I recommend that hotel a lot - we've got someone going on a cruise next year that is going to stay there to try to get on Price is Right)...

So, I'm not recommending that great hotel for svetty's specific needs - but for lots of other people - but let me know add a bit more to confusion...

hmmm...everyone is starting to slowly change my mind about the hotel...:)

i do suppose that the only thing near roosevelt is the walk of fame and such...for which i could just book a redline tour...

but if i were to go to a club in the evening, how much would it cost to take a taxi from the Sportsmen Lodge? approximately, i dont drink and drive, and i expect to have few drinks at the club

Sorry svetty, I didn't realize before that the Hollywood Club thing was part of your plans...

Therefore - I'm going to stick with Sportsmen's Lodge as the choice over Roosevelt because of that. There are actually a few clubs you can get to for $10 or less in a taxi.

You could even hit up Rhumba Room at Universal City Walk with the free shuttle to and from Sportsmen's Lodge.

But...

If Hollywood Nightclubs, and not worrying about driving is a factor here...

There is nothing better than

Best Western Sunset Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917446

There are TONS of nightclubs in walking distance along Sunset Blvd (in this Sunset Plaza area). A lot of super expensive ones, some that aren't expensive but are historical, and it's well lit and has lots of street and walking traffic late night, so very safe to walk around.

Check that thread out, see if that looks good, there's already some nightclubs nearby pictured in that post.

See if that looks good, and you're set.:cool:

Thank you so much for all the valuable information!! I checked out best western and it looks really good and seem to be so close to everything in Hollywood, i would rather be within walking distance of clubbing because we have decided not rent a car

how easy is it to get to Universal Studios from Best Western? are there shuttles? or will we need to get a cab?

Thank you so much for all the valuable information!! I checked out best western and it looks really good and seem to be so close to everything in Hollywood, i would rather be within walking distance of clubbing because we have decided not rent a car

how easy is it to get to Universal Studios from Best Western? are there shuttles? or will we need to get a cab?

Yes! It's the best place in Los Angeles or Hollywood to be walking distance close to so many clubs and restaurants.

Universal to Best Western, if you want to be super budget - there's a really easy bus that will take you to Hollywood and Highland.

Then just take one stop on the Red Line Metro from there, which will drop you off at the front entrance of Universal.

Or, it's probably about $10 for a cab. Pretty fast and easy.

Hey!

I just realized that the Hop On Hop Off bus goes right by the hotel!

So you can just use that! So even easier!

Click here:

https://media.city-sightseeing.com/images/library/media/inventory/79/Doc/tour-map.pdf

That makes the Best Western Sunset Plaza and even more convenient location without a car than I even realized!

Fun and awesome for you!:D

svetty, I'm trying to find the question you had in another thread here...

For your info - you are right there for the best tour in LA

Red Line Tours

http://www.redlinetours.com/redline/hmse.php

If you take the Hollywood Movie Star Experience on a weekday, that will include time in a Sony Studios Tour.

As we've discussed before Sony and Warner Bros. are the best.

Sony is more "real" and working studio, with more chance to see actual things going on...

Warner Bros. is halfway between "real" and "tourist" (like Universal); and you can get a cab from your hotel.

I would guestimate about $20 cab from Best Western Sunset Plaza, but the front desk there can tell you more specifically.

I would love to take that tour, it sounds really exciting but the thing is we arrive on friday at 11am, so by the time we get to hotel and take a breather it will probably be like 3pm, i figured those long tours are probably run in the morning so i need to book something for 4pm, i saw couple of tours for 4pm and noticed that WB runs a tour at 4pm, so maybe we could do that, do you know if its also possible to go to SOny for a tour later in the day?

i was also wondering what time do stores open in LA till? and are there liquor stores near best western sunset plaza ? woulndt mind buying a bottle of wine or something like that:))

Archived