A good inexpensive single day excursion in St. Pete?

We used Anastasia tours and loved it. Ask for Svetlana she's great! If you are willing to forgo the Hermitage Museum (mostly artworks, historical items, gems etc) and spend the day seeing other highlights you might enjoy your day like we spent our Day 1. We started are day by meeting our guide at the pier. Took us to Peterhoff (excellent place to see) then took a hydrofoil boat ride to downtown (our driver met us there) and went directly to the Savior of Spilt Blood and St. Isaacs Cathedral. Then went and did some shopping and used rest rooms. Then went to Kazan Cathedral, down Nvesky Prospect and then to another shop. We also went to a local cafe for russian meat pies and other yummy treats! Our tour was from 10am-6pm. We chose to met up late in the morning to avoid the lines at immigration. But they'll meet you at anytime you like! Day 2 we did the Hermitage. It was ok, but honestly I was bored and wished we just had the 1 day and spent more time in other ports. You'll love your day there though!

Thanks for the info.

I'm not particularly interested in art collections so Hermitage is not necessary, my interest is more with the architecture.

I see though only at least 2 day tours advertised? Any information on prices?

Do I still need a Visa?

Thanks in advance

KARLTH

The hermitage is FAR MORE than ART. My wife has little interest in that field either and was overwhelmed with the HERMITAGE. Dont miss it if you can help it. Remember these are all opinions. I truly agree with her. If you sign up with Alla or Red October they will take care of the VISA requirements which have recently been amended.

I know Anastasia priced our tour based on the entrance fees and then the driver and guide fees. Also if you have more people the driver and guide fees get split. Depends on how many in your party? I think the Hermitage is really dependent on your taste - some love it! I personally wished we had that second day in Tallin instead - it's really a matter of interests I think. I found the church's so much more interesting but that is just me!

Karlth,

first of all I suggest you set up an account with them (Alla) which will give you a chat opportunity with a delay. Remember they are Eight hours different from us. (similar to email, but private directly to you).

They have a few different opportunities available, but that can depend on how many from your sailing are interested or have signed up. If you are also on a Roll Call board for your sailing you might get others to join in with you. Have your own group.

The Cruise lines usually charge 400+ dollars. These people charge 300 and mattering on your tour selection, get your blanket visa, get an early start, cater to 16 or less (no long waits for all to return every stop).Alla is a very nice lady who understands the business well and treats you properly. You might also have the opportunity to work with Katya.

We heard rave reviews about all the guides. Register and contact them immediately for the availability and pricing.

I don't see any prices advertised. Approx. what would I be paying for a 2 day tour?

Julie and Dick:cool:

Our personal thoughts on Russia:

With your passport and (private) tour tickets, there were NO hassles at all coming and going for each day's plans! You do need to check in and out through customs each way, but there were no issue problems. Taking pictures was never an issue either!

Given that we may never be back there, we are so glad we made two very long days of it and visited both Moscow (ship's excursion) and St. Petersburg. They are two very different worlds and the Kremlin exhibits were absolutely AMAZING! If it's a possibility for you and you're wondering if you want to spend the money or energy, do it!

I think what made it work perfectly for us, was we did our St. Petersburg day privately with the driver and guide, which allowed us to dictate the pace; we also did not feel going into the Hermitage was a priority for us since viewing art wasn't the way we preferred to spend our short time there. Since it was a Sunday, traffic wasn't an issue either. This day cost $600 plus tips total for the two of us. We used Anastasia (be sure to ask for a guide with experience no matter who you book) and had much input pre-planning our itinerary with her in advance. She was very accommodating.

Our St. Petersburg private tour itinerary was as follows:

7am pick-up

Pushkin (Catherine's Palace) - early entry - where we were able to manuever around all the

groups through the rooms to see all the highlights

Peterhoff - gardens only (beautiful!)

Hydrofoil from Peterhoff to Hermitage (made for a faster return and unique experience)

Church on Spilled Blood (exterior) and great open air market for souvenirs

St. Isaac's Cathedral (interior & exterior)

From place to place we were able to see, hear about, and had photo opportunities for, Yusopov's Palace, Peter & Paul Fortress, among other key sites. We returned to the ship at 4:00pm.

It was a great, once in a lifetime experience for us!

Happy, safe travels!

Michelle

THE HERMITAGE IS NOT JUST ART ! ! !

If you have not experienced it you will be delighted with the enormity and diversity within.

.....and yes One-day private tours can cost about the same as two-day small group tours (under 16 people, not cruise line bus loads). The small groups usually arrive at earlier times than the mamouth cruise ship ones to the Palaces and Museums which affords you quicker transit through and better exposure to the highlights.

"Alla" also has the private tours available. Some friends of mine thoroughly enjoyed it and said it was well worth the cost.

Julie and Dick:cool:

In case anyone didn't catch my apparent error, as Dick so emphatically pointed out:

THE HERMITAGE IS NOT JUST ART ! ! !

As you may notice, I emphasized in my personal thoughts that "we did not feel going into the Hermitage was a priority for us".

Michelle

Archived