Where to go with 3 yr old and 1 yr old?

SusieQT

I would recommend Paradise Beach, hands down. We were just there in November with our 3 and 5 year old. They loved the place!:) The beach is free to enter, unlike Chankanab, that charges $12 per person to enter. And at Paradise beach, you can pay just $5 per person to use all of the beach toys all day long. That includes use of the floatie mats, the water trampoline, the space walker, the kayaks, climbing the floating iceberg, and use of all snorkel equipment. Our kids had a blast playing with the snorkel masks up near the shore. They just used the masks to look into the water. They saw all types of little fish, sea shells, and other neat under water stuff.They also liked playing around on the floatie mats too.

Plus, Paradise has a very good restaurant, bar, beachside food and drink service, fresh water showers, and clean restrooms. It's my favorite beach in Cozumel.:D They have nice cloth covered lounge chairs and large umbrellas for shade that are free to use. I saw several people getting the massages and henna tattoos. You can't go wrong by choosing Paradise beach!;)

Okay Zydecocruiser, you are making me laugh!!

On the GC board you said you preferred another area over PB. I want the best place for us, not necesarily the most popular spot! :)

In GC, I prefer GC activities.

In Cozumel, I like Nachi-Cocom, but based on your requirements, I think PB is probably a better match.

The most popular spot is where the cruiseship tours dump the masses and that ain't PB or Nachi.

Paradise beach was definitely not a real touristy spot with lots of people. In fact, the opposite was true, there were very few people there when we went. I was told by the locals that this is normal for PB.

But Chankanab was definitely a tourist spot when we went there on the cruise before this last one. Chankanab had lots of people, and at one point, an entire tour group walked down the middle of the beach and into the water. There were so many of them that I could no longer keep my kids in sight, so we left. On our most recent trip we went to Paradise Beach and fell in love.:) It's not touristy or crowded and you really get to kick back and relax.

Zydecocruiser, you've got me curious about Nachi-Cocom. I haven't been there yet, but I'm open to new things. How does it compare to Paradise? Is it close by? We've already got one cruise booked for next year that goes to Cozumel. I'm trying to talk DH into going on another one.;)

In GC, I prefer GC activities.

In Cozumel, I like Nachi-Cocom, but based on your requirements, I think PB is probably a better match.

The most popular spot is where the cruiseship tours dump the masses and that ain't PB or Nachi.

Thanks! Exactly the input I am looking for! I need honest input when traveling with very small children. We can be more adventurous when it's just adults or when they are older.

Also, we have cruised enough to know to go where the cruise tours do not go!!! But, I hope too many cruisers don't figure that one out! :)

SusieQT--We just got back from PB with my 16 mo. old and 9 yr. old. I brought a bunch of sand toys for the little one to play with. We got there early so we could find a good shaded spot (they do provide umbrellas). We sat in the last rows of chairs near a few trees, showers, restrooms, and bar/restaurant.

At first, my daughter wasn't too thrilled with the coarse sand, but got used to it. Plus, it gets everywhere! Also, remember the water is saltwater, and stings the eyes, so try to keep theirs heads up.

You can get custom-made non-alcoholic fruit smoothies. My kids enjoyed those.

You can see the pictures (link below) in the "Rhapsody of the Sea" album, plus an album called "Paradise Beach" (we went twice).

Have fun!

Paradise beach was definitely not a real touristy spot with lots of people. In fact, the opposite was true, there were very few people there when we went. I was told by the locals that this is normal for PB.

Zydecocruiser, you've got me curious about Nachi-Cocom. I haven't been there yet, but I'm open to new things. How does it compare to Paradise? Is it close by? We've already got one cruise booked for next year that goes to Cozumel. I'm trying to talk DH into going on another one.;)

I think they are both touristy as in catering to tourists, but not touristy, as in as crowded as a cruise ship tour. Tourism is the name of the game in Cozumel. It's what they do.

PB is the newest, but a lot of features are don't cares to me. I don't care about a trampoline or an iceberg. If I use a beach chair, it isn't for long, but I found Nachi's to be comfortable enough. If I'm at a beach club - any of them - I'm most likely in the water or sitting at the bar.

The water is the same at both - they aren't that far apart. One thing Nachi has is a pool and jacuzzi, which PB doesn't (even though a popular Cozumel map indicates that it does). Both have showers. Edge to Nachi on choice of water to play/cool off in.

The sunsets are the same - a push.

You can get a Cruise Critic discount at Nachi and can easily find a 20% off coupon for food and beverage. If it is a serious boozing kind of day, Nachi has an all you can drink package, or a combo with a the buffett. Less expensive - Nachi - but your mileage may vary on this one.

By law, all of the beaches - with the exception of the government owned ones (of course) (like Chank), are free.

There is a pier a Nachi where you can tie up boats and where you can take a snorkel or a snorkel/snuba trip on the Zorro - run by Mayan Paradise. It is also where Eagle Ray often ties up for lunch. I recommend both.

Snorkeling is one activity I love. I bring my own equipment, so have no experience renting equipment at either location. Neither would be my first choice for a snorkeling destination, but since I can catch a really good snorkeling trip from Nachi, I give Nachi the edge for snorkeling.

The sunsets are the same

If Epcot had a Mayan Beach club (modified to be suitable for gringos), it might well be like PB - sanitized for your protection. Nachi to me has more of an estate type feeling for me - and seems more Mexican to me.

This is perhaps, unless it has changed, because the owner of Nachi also owns a hotel across the street - or is it the other way around? Casa del Mar - is that it? Is there a hotel associated with PB? I'm not sure.

No matter how crowded or lack of at PB, Nachi will be less crowded.

Just my 2 cents...

Archived