santorini

lulubell

not telling you to miss Oia..just suggesting its not a must do....Fira is pretty and there is lots to see there....there is a museum near the top of the cable car too...(never made it there myself)

we have been to Santorini twice...last time we intended to take the bus to Oia but ended up going for a long walk in that direction...views from the walk were fantastic....Fira has narrow streets with lots of shops..but with 2 ships in port there were 3600+ passengers in port..made the streets hard to walk....the crowds made the line up for the cable car down too long for us to wait..so we walked down...think it would have made the bus hard to do too....

there is a website that will tell you what ships are in port...if lots this may change your plans...

all I can suggest is do some search on cruise critic and the web for pictures of Santorini to help you decide what to see...if you don't see it all you have an excuse to go back

i haven't taken a taxi to Oia, only the bus... but there's only one road that takes you to Oia. once you get to the Oia, there's a turnaround area where cars park and the bus stops. i'm going to assume that if you just tell the taxi driver to take you to Oia, they will take you to the same place the bus drops passengers off.

it's a small city, on a small island... just say oia, the driver will understand you.

and thats pronounced "ee-ah," the "o" is pretty much silent

I've been to Santorini once about 8 years ago and took the ship offered excursion to Oia. Loved Oia, and wished we had more time to see the rest of the island. Going back in October, and the only excursion offered to Oia is 3 1/3 hours - when I have 10 hours in port.

I'm not concerned about getting lost....but for those that have rented a car, how are the roads? Any cliffs I have to worry about driving off of, or a fairly easy drive? any insight would be appreciated!

Jen

not telling you to miss Oia..just suggesting its not a must do....Fira is pretty and there is lots to see there....there is a museum near the top of the cable car too...(never made it there myself)

we have been to Santorini twice...last time we intended to take the bus to Oia but ended up going for a long walk in that direction...views from the walk were fantastic....Fira has narrow streets with lots of shops..but with 2 ships in port there were 3600+ passengers in port..made the streets hard to walk....the crowds made the line up for the cable car down too long for us to wait..so we walked down...think it would have made the bus hard to do too....

there is a website that will tell you what ships are in port...if lots this may change your plans...

all I can suggest is do some search on cruise critic and the web for pictures of Santorini to help you decide what to see...if you don't see it all you have an excuse to go back

I saw that cruise site on another CC post, and I did check the ship schedule. Besides Grand Princess, Royal Princess will be there also. Royal is a smaller boat, but with two Princess boats there, there are still over 3000+ passengers.

I thought of going to Oia because I read a lot of posts saying how beautiful it is; also, I am not sure if there are enough things to do in Fira to take up the whole day. From your reply, it seems like I will find plenty to do and see in Fira. I guess I will decide after I get to Fira. If the taxi or bus lines are long, then I will just stay in Fira.

Thank you for your suggestions.:)

i haven't taken a taxi to Oia, only the bus... but there's only one road that takes you to Oia. once you get to the Oia, there's a turnaround area where cars park and the bus stops. i'm going to assume that if you just tell the taxi driver to take you to Oia, they will take you to the same place the bus drops passengers off.

it's a small city, on a small island... just say oia, the driver will understand you.

and thats pronounced "ee-ah," the "o" is pretty much silent

Thank you for the information. I read on CC posts that the taxi fare to Oia is about USD $14 (about 10 euros). There will be two of us, so the bus fare will be USD $4. I figure for only $5/person more, we will not have to get in unorganized long bus lines for a possible "no seat" ride to Oia.

Did you enjoy Oia? The round trip ride will be at least an hour. Do you think it is worth the trip?

I absolutely LOVED Oia!

This is what I've always said... if a picture is worth a thousand words, then being in Oia in person is worth at least a million. Pictures don't do the island, or the city, justice at all.

In fact, my main motivation for going on another Mediterranean cruise is to go back to Oia. When I was looking at itineraries for the cruise I'm leaving for on Saturday, my main stipulation is that I wouldn't look at at itinerary that didn't take me to Santorini so I could go back to Oia.

Last time I was in Santorini, I was off the ship on the first tender. No lines for the cable cars, etc. I took the very first bus to Oia. In fact, I was like the 4th person to get on the bus. The ride was about 30 minutes. And the bus was less than half full. When I went it was 1,10 Euros for the bus. I believe it's 1,30 per person now.

Anyhow, when I got to Oia, there were NO PEOPLE whatsoever. It was GORGEOUS! Whiel I started wandering the city, the cruise ship shore excursion people showed up and it got a bit crowded. But I had wandered far enough away and they are under limited time. So then they all left and the city was quiet again and I was still there.

I spent 75% of the my day just wandering through Oia.

When I got to the Oia turnaround, there were posted signs as to the bus schedule back to Fira. So when it was time, I wandered back to the bus stop and got on the next bus. It wasn't quite full coming back, but there was a line waiting for the bus to come. Everyone, however, was very organized, as they were all pretty much tourists and stood in a very orderly line.

When I got back to Fira, I just wandered around for a little bit before heading back down the cable car and tendering back to the ship.

I wouldn't go to Santorini without going to Oia, if it could be helped.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm not concerned about getting lost....but for those that have rented a car, how are the roads? Any cliffs I have to worry about driving off of, or a fairly easy drive? any insight would be appreciated!

Jen

check out this website

http://www.thepreismans.com/

it was made by a couple that uses CC a lot.

click on their link to their Mediterranean 2007 Grand Princess cruise.

they talk all about renting a car in Santorini for their second trip there. it describes what they did, what they saw, and what the parking and driving condititions were like

I absolutely LOVED Oia!

This is what I've always said... if a picture is worth a thousand words, then being in Oia in person is worth at least a million. Pictures don't do the island, or the city, justice at all.

In fact, my main motivation for going on another Mediterranean cruise is to go back to Oia. When I was looking at itineraries for the cruise I'm leaving for on Saturday, my main stipulation is that I wouldn't look at at itinerary that didn't take me to Santorini so I could go back to Oia.

Last time I was in Santorini, I was off the ship on the first tender. No lines for the cable cars, etc. I took the very first bus to Oia. In fact, I was like the 4th person to get on the bus. The ride was about 30 minutes. And the bus was less than half full. When I went it was 1,10 Euros for the bus. I believe it's 1,30 per person now.

Anyhow, when I got to Oia, there were NO PEOPLE whatsoever. It was GORGEOUS! Whiel I started wandering the city, the cruise ship shore excursion people showed up and it got a bit crowded. But I had wandered far enough away and they are under limited time. So then they all left and the city was quiet again and I was still there.

I spent 75% of the my day just wandering through Oia.

When I got to the Oia turnaround, there were posted signs as to the bus schedule back to Fira. So when it was time, I wandered back to the bus stop and got on the next bus. It wasn't quite full coming back, but there was a line waiting for the bus to come. Everyone, however, was very organized, as they were all pretty much tourists and stood in a very orderly line.

When I got back to Fira, I just wandered around for a little bit before heading back down the cable car and tendering back to the ship.

I wouldn't go to Santorini without going to Oia, if it could be helped.

But that's just my opinion.

Thank you for the information.

We will be there on a Sunday in November, I hope most of the shops will be open. I will definitely go to Oia and check it out.

We have been to Santorini twice in the past year, the first time last September and the second time last month. We rented cars on both visits, although the first time was after we visited the fantastic, do not miss, Museum of Prehistoric Thira near the bus station in Fira, where the known story of the peoples who inhabited Akrotiri is told in well-captioned chronological order with lovely wall paintings included.

In our opinion, you need to leave Fira to enjoy Santorini, unless you love crowded narrow shopping streets, tons of shoppers, and duplicative stores galore.

The island itself is unique, and Oia is unforgettably beautiful. We spent about four hours in Oia last month, and probably 30 minutes in Fira.

Driving is easy on Santorini once you leave the few streets in Fira which permit automotive traffic. Parking is easy and free everywhere. It's about a 20 minute easy drive from Fira to Oia.

I have never been in Fira and Oia. Are you saying that I should not bother to go to Oia, and just spend the day in Fira?

I don't see anyone replying to my question in regards to where I should tell the taxi driver to drop me off at Oia; I guess probably not many CC members have gone there.

Walk around Firsa then take either a taxi or the bus (bus is 1 1/2 Euro) to Oia, they will know where to drop you off. They can not drive down the main street, no cars allowed. All of the pictures you see of Greece and of the sunset are photographed in Oia. Everything on the island is wonderful and you will love it.

I have never been in Fira and Oia. Are you saying that I should not bother to go to Oia, and just spend the day in Fira?

I don't see anyone replying to my question in regards to where I should tell the taxi driver to drop me off at Oia; I guess probably not many CC members have gone there.

Definitely go to Fira and Oia, they are both fantastic. So much to see and do.

Thank you everyone for the useful information and suggestions.

I will try to get on the first tender, and most likely will do Oia first. I hope to get to Oia by 9:30 a.m. Then either have lunch in Oia, or leave Oia before noon to return to Fira. My boat leaves at 6 p.m., meaning I need to be on the boat by 5:30 p.m. I need to be at the cable car line by 4 p.m. (just in case the wait will be for an hour). Then catch the tender before 5:15 p.m. back to the boat. Really not too much time after deducting the RT cable car, RT ride to Oia, RT tender. Probably only 2 hours in Oia, and 2 hours in Fira.

Our AAA membership expired and the International Driver's License is $25. Just FYI

From all of the threads that I have read about car rentals, no one had to have an International drivers license, just a valid one from home. If anyone disputes this let me know. I had decided not to get one. We have rented cards and never had to have one before.

Thank you everyone for the useful information and suggestions.

I will try to get on the first tender, and most likely will do Oia first. I hope to get to Oia by 9:30 a.m. Then either have lunch in Oia, or leave Oia before noon to return to Fira. My boat leaves at 6 p.m., meaning I need to be on the boat by 5:30 p.m. I need to be at the cable car line by 4 p.m. (just in case the wait will be for an hour). Then catch the tender before 5:15 p.m. back to the boat. Really not too much time after deducting the RT cable car, RT ride to Oia, RT tender. Probably only 2 hours in Oia, and 2 hours in Fira.

You should have plenty of time. We did this two years ago and had no problem. The only problem was that it got rough and they had to stop the tenders for a couple of hours, but they know this happens and will not leave you. They check to see if anyone from the ship you are on is in line.

From all of the threads that I have read about car rentals, no one had to have an International drivers license, just a valid one from home. If anyone disputes this let me know. I had decided not to get one. We have rented cards and never had to have one before.

No car rental company ever will ask to see it, but if you have any contact with the police anywhere in Greece while driving your rental car and cannot produce one, you will have to pay a very hefty three-figure fine.

If you belong to AAA (and most do), it costs only $15 to get one, and it is good for one year, a worthwhile insurance investment in my opinion.

Also, while getting mine for my cruise last month, I picked up a bra stash from AAA for $5, and the peace of mind wearing that comfortable item gave me (putting away my sweaty money belt for my summer cruise) was priceless! :)

We debated about getting IDL's on our last two trips ... didn't get one for Santorini in '05, but probably should have. We did get them for Chios, Greece in '08 (a requirement of the rental company). If CinitPam's post didn't convince you to get one, this information might: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1127.html (scroll down to the 3rd paragraph under 'Traffic Safety').

Thanks, Susan, nice to know that the US Government backs up my position.:)

I post at least once a week about the three-figure penalities you will incur if you have a police encounter anywhere in Greece while operating a vehicle and cannot produce one, and still people resist. For goodness sake, it costs $15 and is good for an entire year!

We'll be in Santorini mid-September, for the first time. I am having hard time deciding if we should spend the money to rent a car. If we just take a bus to Oia, what will we be missing out on? I realize renting a car is not that expensive, but I would want to get an international drivers license to be on the safe side, and it seems that at this point, the fees to expedite the process to get the license in time for our departure from the States will end up costing as much (if not more) as the car rental; we are trying to cut costs wherever we can... BUT, at the same time, Santorini is really the one place I want to see the most on our cruise. But, I also don't know where else we would go on the island other than Oia, so renting a car just seems a bit pointless to me. Any insight/advice would be much appreciated!

We'll be in Santorini mid-September, for the first time. I am having hard time deciding if we should spend the money to rent a car. If we just take a bus to Oia, what will we be missing out on? I realize renting a car is not that expensive, but I would want to get an international drivers license to be on the safe side, and it seems that at this point, the fees to expedite the process to get the license in time for our departure from the States will end up costing as much (if not more) as the car rental; we are trying to cut costs wherever we can... BUT, at the same time, Santorini is really the one place I want to see the most on our cruise. But, I also don't know where else we would go on the island other than Oia, so renting a car just seems a bit pointless to me. Any insight/advice would be much appreciated!

If you just plan to visit Oia, certainly taking the bus is fine and cost-efficient. We wanted to explore other parts of the island as well and not worry about bus schedules or crowds back from Oia.

Also, in Fira itself (where the cable car terminus is), the Museum of Prehistoric Thira is a wonderful stop. It is near the bus station and contains the story of what is known today of the Aegean civilization that inhabited Akrotiri and other Greek islands, as ancient to the Classical Age Greeks as those Greeks are to us. Modern building, modern bathrooms, and excellent a/c, as well as great chronological galleries with good English captions, not to mention gorgeous Akrotiri wall paintings.

BTW, you purchase an international drivers permit at your local AAA office (not some kind of visa you need to apply for). Takes just a few minutes of your time and costs $15 if you are a member.

Enjoy Santorini; it absolutely will bowl you over with the beautiful views of the caldera. Have a great trip!

Since I have heard they don't stop at Santorini all the time due to weather (and I'd just die if this happens) I am not making rental reservations. Just winging it.

If you need an automatic car, you really need to reserve ahead of time. Last month, several customers were turned away at Tony's when I was there because all the automatics were reserved. If you drive a stick shift, no problem at all.

BTW, a miss at Santorini is much more unusual than a miss of Mykonos.

Archived