Fin advice

prchoudh

Previous snorkel trips, I was always the first one back on the boat because I could not see underwater. Now I have a corrective snorkel mask and my own equipment. I do have a bad knee so when I used the fins the last time, it bothered my knee. Is there a fin that I could bring with me that would place less stress on my knee?

Any of the split fins that they sell will work for a bumb knee. When I went into my local dive shop a while ago to ask the same Q for my Mother In Law I was told that Aquafins split fin is just fine but that there are other more expensive fins out there that will work slightly better. Sorry I don't have any brand names...if anyone else knows of one through experiance I would also love to know the name.

I tore my mcl about 9 years, so I have issues with my right knee as a result. I switched two years ago to the Tusa Xpert Zoom split fins, and I absolutely love them. Going to a split fin gives you better propulsion, so you don't have to work as hard to move through the water. On thing to be aware of with the zooms is that the fin has an arc. This arc makes it a little more ackward to walk on a boat deck. My advice if you buy these fins is to put the fins on at the edge of the boat (in the water if you are doing a beach entry).

They are not cheap at $100 (www.scubatoys.com). If you are just looking for fins for snorkeling, I would look for a less expensive split fin.

Thanks for the info. I just passed it on to my MIL. She is excited because she just booked her cruise for Hawaii at the end of the year so she can buy these to surprise FIL with booking a snorkeling shore excursion.

I hate to tell you this but split fins do not work very good at all for snorkeling. They loose their water on the surface very quickly and cavitate. Under water they are great and I dive with the Tusa Xpert Zoom fins as well.

If a dive shop told you to buy split fins for snorkeling I would try a different shop, they are just trying to sell you their most expensive fins (more money larger mark up) and they will not work well for your needs (snorkeling).

If your present fins are extremely pliable you might try a stiffer fin, if the fins you are having problems with right now are stiff try a softer plastic less ridged fin. More money is not always the answer, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

We use smaller fins - either the cheap snorkel fins provided on excursion providers or at beachfront rental shops, or US Divers Shredder II fins we carry with us - which are very small. These work fine and are easier to use, rquireing less effort, than larger dive fins.

Archived