The Good For Nothing Food Tongs

cfc525

In our experience on the Dawn last week, we found more people talking about the awful tongs in the Garden Cafe'. You would try and try again to pick up the food only to get so annoyed, you just move on to something else. Only to find another pair of tongs that also doesn't pick anything up. One morning after several attempts, I finally got a piece of sausage to stay in the tongs. I very carefully eased it over my plate to release it and it falls to the floor. Yes...I did pick it up so that no one would slip and fall on it. Did I try again for another piece of sausage...HECK NOT!! A woman sitting next to us said she caught her thumb in the tongs more than once, and so did I. A man in line behind me said this way they get to use the left over food again the next day on the buffet in a different form. Like maybe using the meat no one could pick up in a hash style food item for breakfast. That's one way of keeping the $ down.

When the tongs fail you, look for a serving spoon instead in another pan close by and use that, I did. Good luck!

Now here is another thought on this if you don't want to gain any weight on your cruise. Just keep on eating at the Garden Cafe'. Not a whole lot makes it to your plate.

Funny, it is nice to see a complaint that we can all identify with and yet take lightly. I have often noticed the same thing about the tongs. I don't think I have even been in a conversation with someone about this, but yes, they are a pain.

Nita

Have not heard any reports of folks suffering from malnutrition cause by inability to handle food tongs on NCL cruise ship buffets, yet!:D

Yes, but have you ever actually counted how many passengers got on the cruise, and how many of them got back off alive at the end? Besides, read what it says eighteen verses earlier than the Psalm you quote. ;) Perhaps some of those who had so much difficulty dishing up the casserole actually ended up IN the casserole? Who can say?

In our experience on the Dawn last week, we found more people talking about the awful tongs in the Garden Cafe'. You would try and try again to pick up the food only to get so annoyed, you just move on to something else. Only to find another pair of tongs that also doesn't pick anything up. One morning after several attempts, I finally got a piece of sausage to stay in the tongs. I very carefully eased it over my plate to release it and it falls to the floor. Yes...I did pick it up so that no one would slip and fall on it. Did I try again for another piece of sausage...HECK NOT!! A woman sitting next to us said she caught her thumb in the tongs more than once, and so did I. A man in line behind me said this way they get to use the left over food again the next day on the buffet in a different form. Like maybe using the meat no one could pick up in a hash style food item for breakfast. That's one way of keeping the $ down.

When the tongs fail you, look for a serving spoon instead in another pan close by and use that, I did. Good luck!

Now here is another thought on this if you don't want to gain any weight on your cruise. Just keep on eating at the Garden Cafe'. Not a whole lot makes it to your plate.

They do it on purpose so that those that are at te troughs don't eat as much, maybe even cut down from 10 plates to 5.

Lets start another thread about all the over weight people who you continually see going back to the troughs, they can't even wait to get to their chair and their eating with their fingers while they waddle to their chair.

Now I've heard it all.....haven't I?:confused::confused:

Yes, but have you ever actually counted how many passengers got on the cruise, and how many of them got back off alive at the end? Besides, read what it says eighteen verses earlier than the Psalm you quote. ;) Perhaps some of those who had so much difficulty dishing up the casserole actually ended up IN the casserole? Who can say?

ROFLOL!!!:D Good one InTheCruisingYearsOfLife !!!

Psalm 107:5 - "They were hungry and thirsty and their lives ebbed away."

Perhaps the result of tongs used at the buffet!!!! Who knew?

:) Do NCL Food department managers read this thread?

Perhaps they should change the tongs, maybe then there'll be more satisfied customers at the buffet. They should perhaps replace this with forks!

Nobody wants skin and blood on their food.

Aha! These may be the secret ingredients that keeps you coming back for more... Yummy!

Buffet Etiquette 101

No matter how much the standards of fairness and justice cry out for you to do it, please avoid smacking the person in front of you who has not grasped (pun alert!) the concept of using tongs

from

No matter how much the standards of fairness and justice cry out for you to do it, please avoid smacking the person in front of you who has not grasped (pun alert!) the concept of using tongs

Golly, why do so many have no clue how to operate a them? Instead of handling them at the end, grab them and operate them half way down.....

Always work simple and easy.....

Gross! Halfway down! Then the germs end up halfway in the food!!!!!!!

:) Just in a playful mood tonight.....

Gross! Halfway down! Then the germs end up halfway in the food!!!!!!!

:) Just in a playful mood tonight.....

Its similar to chop sticks, they function much better operating them half way down than at the top end. Think of a stapler.... you wouldn't attempt to use a stapler at the wrong end, would you?

I am positive all of these remarks about tongs would pass if everyone used the tongs properly half way down.....

Its similar to chop sticks, they function much better operating them half way down than at the top end. Think of a stapler.... you wouldn't attempt to use a stapler at the wrong end, would you?

I am positive all of these remarks about tongs would pass if everyone used the tongs properly half way down.....

Oh, oh, oh!!! If NCL reads these boards..... I think this would be a great new NCL U class....and I'd be JUST the person to teach it!

I think that running the course twice a year, somewhere exotic....would do the trick....you pay my cruise fare, and I'll speak for 20 minutes on buffet behavior, including tong manipulation.

So, NCL....whaddya think? Huh? :confused::confused::confused:

If someone had to actually help get your thumb out of whatever kind of thong it was I can very much understand how that had to be painful.

:p:D:rolleyes::cool: Why would you want your fingers OUT of a Thong? Just curious...

And I ThANk yoU

JWK: Funny Guy

PS: There goes THIS thread down the shoot....

I had the same problem. Thought it was just me. Halfway through the cruise (yea, slow learner) I figured out you need to hold them halfway down. Then I thought, we just all disinfected our hands, but we are sharing the tongs?

I had the same problem. Thought it was just me. Halfway through the cruise (yea, slow learner) I figured out you need to hold them halfway down. Then I thought, we just all disinfected our hands, but we are sharing the tongs?

didn't you know that disinfecting puts us all on the same level of cleanliness? (nevermind that we could have sneezed in our hands). or licked our fingers while eating...

...think about that one when someone goes for seconds after eating with their fingers. :D still hungry?

Archived