Just returned from 2 weeks in Alaska

paia40

We travel to alaska the 1st 2 weeks in June and had great weather. Sunny and perfect. Hubby took 2235 photos. Would like to share the highlights of our trip.

http://w101.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/69gs400s/Alaska%202009/db0ef6ab.pbw

I took close to 2800 photos last year on a 2 week Alaska cruise. My wife thought I got a bit carried away, but I see I am not alone. Alaska makes you appreciate the true meaning of the word "awesome" and the photos you posted reveal the awesome experience of seeing Alaska. Thanks for making the photos available.

Thanks for sharing your photos. Where were you when you saw the whales?

An interesting fact: Orcas are not really whales, they are the largest member of the dolphin family. If memory serves me, they got the name 'killer whale' because they have been known to kill whales that are larger than themselves. Just thought you'd like to know something about them in case you see them, or have seen them, in your travels.

Now for my question. I noticed a photo of a puffin (the cute bird in the water with the toucan looking beak). Where did you see it and did you see many on your trip? When I went to Alaska (30 yrs ago) I remember seeing lots and lots of them and thought they were the cutest birds ever.

Thanks for sharing--it looks like you had a lot of fun and nice weather. How did you enjoy the 3 hour glacier trek with North Star? We are planning to do that next year but I wam wondeing how hard the wall climb was? Is it just up and down (so if you don't make it to the top, does it matter?) I only ask cuz while I am in decent shape, I have a hard time rock wall climbing cuz my hands cramp up. So I am a bit worried about it for that reason. However, everyone says that only 2 hours up there is too short. So I would love to hear you comments on that tour.

All water shots/ glacier up close/bear were taken on the Kenai Fjords cruise. There was a dozen or so Puffin birds at the bow of the boat.

Wildlife/Mt McKinley photos taken at Denali Park Tundra Tour.

Eagle photo taken in Ketchikan kayaking.

Glacier Trek done thru NorthStar. $$$ But worth it. Photos don't capture the colors or experience. 3 hours seemed like 20 minutes.The trek is not difficult and walking with crampons takes practice. The climb was the highlight We only had 4 people in our group. I highly recommend this tour if you can swing it.

We travel to alaska the 1st 2 weeks in June and had great weather. Sunny and perfect. Hubby took 2235 photos. Would like to share the highlights of our trip.

http://w101.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/69gs400s/Alaska%202009/db0ef6ab.pbw

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Check out my photo that is shot from about the same PRECISE location as yours. You'll recognize it.....

/Users/bill/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Alaska:Vancouver '09/IMG_0648.JPG .........copy and paste into your Web browser to view.

WOW!!! Those are some breathtaking photographs. Do you mind if I ask you what kind of camera you used for those shots??? I'm going to Alaska in September and can't wait!! It would be nice if I could buy myself a nice camera for the trip...even though I'm not the best photographer, unlike yourself :D

Thanks for sharing the photos!! Just beautiful!!

Corinne

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing those great pics of Alaska. We are going on July 31st. Where were your whale pics taken? We are doing glacial walk. Do u think we need to wear thermals under jeans, or will be warm with just jeans? Did the whales come close enough so u could take pics with point & shoot camera? thanks again,

All water shots/ glacier up close/bear were taken on the Kenai Fjords cruise and point and shoot camera is fine. The glacier is 10 degress cooler than port.The day we went it was 60 on the glacier. noextra clothing needed.

Hi and thankyou for sharing those sensational photos with us :)

We leave in 7 days and looking at your photos sends shivers down my spine with excitement!

Can i please ask you what you wore on your excursion with North Coast - and did you just wear joggers on your feet or do they provide the footgear?

We have the same day planned and would love some help with planning ...

Thanks in advance ~ :)

Northstar provided gloves, jacket,pants, backpack, crampon -high ankle boots. I wore pants, t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt. Remember its only 10 degrees cooler on the glacier and once you start treking you warm up.There are lockers to store your stuff before you leave for the glacier... Very important.!! Make sure your boots are laced properly.Somepeople the boot was tied too tight and walking for 3 hours in pain would not be fun. And if it's too loose you can step out of your boot while ice climbing. Have fun........

Archived