Cruise George inlet & crab feast

marycang

Regent says: "Please note: This tour involves walking on uneven surfaces, negotiating steep inclines and stairs. This tour is not recommended for guests with limited mobility or guests who utilize a wheelchair. Depending on the tide, the gangway to the boat can be steep (15-25 degrees). There are 79 covered stairs from the bus drop off to the lodge deck; however, there is a vehicle available to drive guests down and back up to eliminate the stair factor."

I have a question about your experience on this tour re: how long you were walking on uneven surfaces and was there a vehicle to drive people in order to avoid the 79 stairs.

Thanks for any info.

We did this excursion last June and I recommend it, especially if you love Dungeness crab like I do!

Yes, there was a shuttle van to drive people down and back up to the dock/crab restaurant. The only other uneven footing would be on the wooden-planked dock itself, and of course stepping onto the boat, though I'm certain the crew or other passengers would be quite happy to assist anyone with trouble navigating these hazards.

The pontoon boat is very stable and has fixed seats that offer stable handholds, so when they anchor by the crab pots, it should be an easy enough walk outside to view the goings-on. Back at the restaurant, the crab and accoutrements are served as a sit-down affair in a normal carpeted dining room (no uneven footing inside!), with accessible restrooms and, of course, the obligatory gift shop.

Honestly, this was one of the better cruise sponsored excursions I have ever taken.

We had been to Ketchikan before and were looking for something different. It is a nice ride around the bay to the place. Yes they had a van to transfer the less mobile guest. The wake was several steps, but not very steep and not all that unpleasent. The took anyone in the van both ways that wanted to avoid the walk. There is a very stable dook to enter the boats and they had plenty of strong young men to assist. There was a beautiful ride out and back to the place and we had a wonderful meal. The crab was great and the staff was very entertaining. I would recommend this to anyone.

Archived