Byron Glacier

woowoochick

Can someone give me more details on the hike to Byron Glacier? I've heard it is an easy hike, but my husband does have some difficulty walking in certain conditions. Is the hike on fairly level ground or does it have a lot of inclines and declines? Do you need to walk through any creeks or water? Thanks for any information you can provide.

If you are in the vicinity of Portage Glacier you will most likely pass by Byron Glacier. Taking the road to Portage there is a well marked sign for Byron Glacier where parking is at no charge. At least it was in July of 2005. It is not a difficult trail to the Glacier. If the weather has been wet this summer you might run into a shallow stream bed that may or may not have some water in it. The Glacial melt has to go somewhere. I do have a picture taken back in 2005 of my son with the Glacier in the back ground. There are signs marked what to watch for as far as the "danger areas". I even got my wife up to the snow level of the Glacier. Really a nice and pleasant place to hike. If the weather is clear the scenery is spectacular. See the attache picture. Tim

Brian_Glacier.jpg.4fdf513fed3149b6b292d5604ae49563.jpg

While the first half of the trail is very good, the second half could easily be considered rough for someone with any walking difficulties. There is a lot of uneven ground, rocks to go over and so on.

Archived