Sydney

Not a whole lot. The pier area is large and has a building where local vendors bring their items to sell. The vendors are very nice and welcoming. Everything is within walking distance of the pier. Across the street is a nice neighborhood of cute houses and historic churches which you can view. The town is a couple of blocks away but there isn't much there in the way of tourist shops. If you need any personal items, or if you want to buy some Canadian chocolate, there is an all-purpose store on the main road as well as a couple of gift shops. Walking along the waters edge is nice, but all in all, not really enough to keep you busy all day. I would advise a tour or renting a car for at least half the day. We have been there twice, so this time (we go in Oct.) we have a tour reserved that will last most of the day. It is beautiful there.

Think the OP is referring to Sydney, NS not Sydney, BC but they are easily confused on these boards.

Sidney, BC/Sydney, NS ------ St. John's, Newfoundland/Saint John, New Brunswick----no wonder our tourists get confused eh?;)

Is there anything to do in Sydney if you do not take a ships tour or rent a car?

There are two interesting historic houses within walking distance of the port. Cossit House (75) and Jost House (54) are on the same block of Charlotte Street, different sides of the street. Both are well restored, although if you only had time for one, I'd do Cossit House.

Hello -

I am assuming, but have to ask -- can you drive and rent a car in Sydney with a U.S. driver's license? Also -- can anyone recommend an ambitious but not unrealistic route that takes in part of the Cabot Trail from Sydney? We will be in port from 8-4 (assume we want to be back on board by 3:15)

Many thanks!

Cindy

Hello -

I am assuming, but have to ask -- can you drive and rent a car in Sydney with a U.S. driver's license? Also -- can anyone recommend an ambitious but not unrealistic route that takes in part of the Cabot Trail from Sydney? We will be in port from 8-4 (assume we want to be back on board by 3:15)

Many thanks!

Cindy

We rent and drive cars in the US all the time with Canadian Driver's Licenses so I cannot imagine that there is a problem coming the other way.

I do not recommend trying to do the Cabot Trail in the time allowed. It may not look far on a map but it is a two lane twisty road with little opportunity to pass. When we do the trail we allot a full day. You would just nicely reach the scenic section when you would have to turn around and come back. There is no way you could do a complete circuit.

We are going to be in Sydney on the Eurodam in August and I thought it was interesting to note that they do not offer the trail as a shore excursion. You can bet they would if it were closer.

It is a most beautiful drive but you would be disappointed by not being able to see much of it. The best part starts after you pass through Ingonish.

Hello -

Many thanks!

Cindy

Yes you can, provided the car is available. Enterprise in Sydney did not have any cars to fulfill our reservation, but made up for it with a nice car and great pickup-delivery service in Halifax. This is the only rental company in those parts with unlimited mileage (kilometerage?) as long as the car stays in the Maritimes.

You might want to look at some alternative destinations which would be doable as a day trip, like Baddeck (scenic drive over Kelly Mountain and around beautiful lakes, fascinating and well-presented Alexander Graham Bell museum). We did it in a cab, but a rental would have been better. If you get going early enough, the Scottish village at Iona should be doable as a day trip.

Thank you all! Good information and advice.

Bob K., what do you know about Iona? I haven't heard that mentioned before.

And again this may be too ambitious, but instead of exploring the lake area, could we possibly fit in a whale watching Zodiac tour? I can't find any out of Sydney (although I did find one out of Sidney, that got me excited for a moment LOL), and fear that the ones out of Ingonish would be pushing it.

Has anyone tried this out of Sydney, NS?

Cindy

Think the OP is referring to Sydney, NS not Sydney, BC but they are easily confused on these boards.[/quote

So sorry, I can't remember which board we were communicating on about fishing. Please direct me to the right place to wait for your reponse.

Thanks!!

jj

We plan on renting a car in Sydney and driving over to the Fortress of Louisburg. If we have time left after seeing the Fortress, how long would it likely take to drive back to Sydney along the coastline through Glace Bay? Is it doable? I imagine it would be very scenic.

Bonnie

We are planning to do the same - rent a car in Sydney and go to Louisbourg then Glace Bay. I read on one of these boards that it is a good day trip with a rental car. We have reserved a car from Budget - they will pick you up at the cruise pier. I looked up the directions on MapQuest. It looks to be about 35 minutes from the Sydney to Louisbourg, about 50 minutes from Louisbourg to Glace Bay, and about 30 minutes from Glace Bay to Sydney. If we are in port for 8 hours we should have plenty of time . I'm looking forward to the Miner's Museum in Glace Bay.

Hey there:

Well I was very interested in reading what other had to say about my home lol. Although I have been landlocked in the cold Canadian Prairies for 19 years Cape Breton will always be my home.

So to give you my thoughts I would say that I absolutely agree with everyone who said that there is not a lot to do in downtown Sydney. The Boardwalk is newer and very nice but that will only take about 1/2 an hour to do. When the coal mines closed and the steel mill closed when I was very young our little town really diminished. What you will notice if you do shop around is that there are not a lot of young people working as most have either left the island or with the extremely dire economy it is the older generation working the most mundane jobs to make ends meet.

However Cape Breton is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I would suggest renting a car and going out on your own. I also agree that you cannot do the entire Cabot Trail in a day. It's impossible. It is possible to drive up to Ingonish and have lunch and come back. However if you visit Cape Breton only once in your life and you do not visit the Cabot Trail you will really miss out on something spectacular.

Other idea's are driving over the Seal Island bridge and Kelly's Mountain and visiting the town of Baddeck for lunch or dinner. Driving out to the Fortress of Louisbourg is also fantastic. Driving down to Margaree Valley and going whale watching is another idea. What you will find in all of Cape Breton are the most down to earth people in the world. The freshest fish and most amazing scenery. So no matter how far I roam and no matter how long I am away it will always be my home. :)

We stopped in Sydney last September and didn't take a tour or anything. We just walked around and found it to be absolutely charming. What a sweet town. We grabbed ourselves some Tim Horton's coffee and just walked and walked. Very historical, lots of churches and old buildings with plaques. It was lovely. :)

Bob K., what do you know about Iona? I haven't heard that mentioned before.

Sorry, I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Iona is a recreated Highland Scots village at the western end of Bras D'Or lake. "On a 43 acre hillside overlooking the world renowned Bras d'Or Lakes, Nova Scotia's rich Scottish Gaelic culture comes alive with costumed staff, farm animals and period buildings & artifacts. In addition to daily demonstrations in language and craft, the museum also has special education programs, learning vacations, and special cultural presentations. Roots Cape Breton Genealogy & Family History Centre is a service which assists researchers in searching for family history information. The Highland Village Gift Shop carries a wide range of Cape Breton and Celtic music, Gaelic language and local history books, local crafts and Highland Village souvenirs." from their web site, http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/

We stopped in Sydney last September and didn't take a tour or anything. We just walked around and found it to be absolutely charming. What a sweet town. We grabbed ourselves some Tim Horton's coffee and just walked and walked. Very historical, lots of churches and old buildings with plaques. It was lovely. :)

Sounds Lovely!!

We will be at Brentwood Lodge and Spa outside Victoria and have schedule whale watching out of Sydney. How far is the Cape and your other recommedations from Sydney or Victoria?

Thanks

jj

Hey there:

Well I was very interested in reading what other had to say about my home lol. Although I have been landlocked in the cold Canadian Prairies for 19 years Cape Breton will always be my home.

So to give you my thoughts I would say that I absolutely agree with everyone who said that there is not a lot to do in downtown Sydney. The Boardwalk is newer and very nice but that will only take about 1/2 an hour to do. When the coal mines closed and the steel mill closed when I was very young our little town really diminished. What you will notice if you do shop around is that there are not a lot of young people working as most have either left the island or with the extremely dire economy it is the older generation working the most mundane jobs to make ends meet.

However Cape Breton is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I would suggest renting a car and going out on your own. I also agree that you cannot do the entire Cabot Trail in a day. It's impossible. It is possible to drive up to Ingonish and have lunch and come back. However if you visit Cape Breton only once in your life and you do not visit the Cabot Trail you will really miss out on something spectacular.

Other idea's are driving over the Seal Island bridge and Kelly's Mountain and visiting the town of Baddeck for lunch or dinner. Driving out to the Fortress of Louisbourg is also fantastic. Driving down to Margaree Valley and going whale watching is another idea. What you will find in all of Cape Breton are the most down to earth people in the world. The freshest fish and most amazing scenery. So no matter how far I roam and no matter how long I am away it will always be my home. :)

WHOOPS, I used the wrong quote in my thread above -- sorry. I intended to quote and ask you.. sorry for the confusion.

WHOOPS, I used the wrong quote in my thread above -- sorry. I intended to quote and ask you.. sorry for the confusion.

Geez,,,,,,,,,,wrong Sidney -- I'll be in BC --- good grief!

Sorry all!!

lol.. no worries.. I have been to Victoria. One of the most beautiful cities in Canada. Although after living in Winnipeg it was funny to see people all bundled up in November in +12-15 degrees. That's still fall to us lol.

Archived