Empress Of The Seas 11 Night Cruise Review

Alexis

We rented a car on our own on St. Barts. What a treat that was, the roads feel like they are only 3 feet wide! But we got to see 5 different beaches, our favorite was Governor's Beach. It was nice and secluded and you could snorkel there. Please note that most of the beaches on most of the islands can be topless. Didn't bother us but I wanted to pass it along.

How did you arrange for the car rental? Was it done ahead of time or made after at the port?

What is the best way to arrange for a car rental in St. Barts?

Also, what is the daily rate for the car rental?

I posted this on the Roll Call board.:D

Hi snackdaddy,

Sorry, but I can't remember anything except his first name was Jimmy. My husband and I are seniors and we really do not pay much attention to the cruise directors. We do not partake in any of the games that the youngums do. :D From what I saw he was a nice guy. The skit he did with the pastry chef on how to ice a cake was a riot.

Post on the main boards and I am sure a lot of the people who cruised with us can help you.

We just got your paperwork package for the Jan 31 Empress of the Seas trip. We are still showing Grenada in our itinerary. We are only showing two formal nights though. Do you think it's possible that, because you had an extra "at sea" day they compensated by adding a third formal night? Just wondered.

Gini

The 'normal' schedule is..

Casual (departure San Juan)

Formal (St. Maarten)

Casual/Caribbean (St. Barts)

Smart Casual (St. Kitts)

Casual/70s (St. Lucia)

Casual/Western (Barbados)

Formal (Grenada)

Smart Casual Margarita Island)

Formal (Curacao)

Casual (Aruba)

Casual (at Sea)

This is what we had.

Day 1- San Juan- is Casual.

Day 2- St. Maarten- is Formal.

Day 3- St. Barts- is Casual/Caribbean.

Day 4- St. Kitts- is Smart Casual.

Day 5- St. Lucia- is Casual/70’s.

Day 6- Barbados- is Casual/Western.

Day 7- Grenada- A scheduled formal night from the time of booking

Day 8- Venezuela- is Smart Casual.

Day 9- Curacao- is Formal.

Day 10- Aruba- is Casual.

Day 11- Sea Day- is Casual.

The tuxedo man said they have three formal nights now on the Empress.

This is what is now on the RCCL website for formal nights. I guess it was cheaper to post on the website rather than change all the booklets.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart

Screagon, our friend arranged to have a car for us when we got there, a company that began with an M (Maurice, Morris?) I just don't remember who. However, our tenders ran late and he didn't wait past the 1st tender. No money was paid upfront. However, as you get off the tender there are shops across the street. One boutique had a BUDGET Rental sign (as you look across the street it is to your right). I went in there and rented the car. Very easy, they take credit cards or cash. It cost us 56 Euros, which I think added up to $ 80.00 US. (45 euros for the rental and 11 for the insurance, which we decided we should take). The car was a 2 door Jimny and was easy to get in and out of, and definately easy to drive and park as everything is narrow and small.

They give you a map but there are very little street signs. However, there really is only one main road going around all around St. Barts. We really enjoyed this as we could stop wherever we wanted and enjoy the beaches or scenery. I hope you have a wonderful time. I loved St. Bart's!

• 1 year later...
Twelveohone: I would love to see your pics of the Owner's Suite! How can I access them? Thanks so much!

Good grief, where did you dig this up after all that time?:D

If you do not get an answer from him on here, start a new thread on the boards and just put "To Twelveohone".

Ask him that question about the pictures.;)

Sounds like most cruises like the 11-night cruise on the Empress. Thanks for the reviews. I'm scheduled for February 2006. I booked in March and was disappointed to see the change in the itinerary--omitting St. Barts.

This will be 4th time on this ship (1-Eastern, 2-Western) and looking forward to seeing the rennovations. A few qestions:

1--Does RCCL still tender into St. Marteen? The itinerary says "docked."

2--Is the final sea day rough? Saw a few postings.

3--Is the Platinum debarkation FAST? have a 10AM flight!

4--Any references for transfers to & from the airport?

Cruzn Suzn

Sounds like most cruises like the 11-night cruise on the Empress. Thanks for the reviews. I'm scheduled for February 2006. I booked in March and was disappointed to see the change in the itinerary--omitting St. Barts.

This will be 4th time on this ship (1-Eastern, 2-Western) and looking forward to seeing the rennovations. A few qestions:

1--Does RCCL still tender into St. Marteen? The itinerary says "docked."

Cruzn Suzn

We were at SXM in the middle of November on the Constellation. There were 4 ships docked that day, the Connie, a big Carnival, the Empress and another big RCI (Voyager type I think, don't remember.)

So it appears that the Empress is docking at the pier as a regular visitor.

Did I read correctly that there are now 3 formal nights instead of just 2?? DH and I will be going on this cruise next year in February and want to be prepared, dinner in the dining room is something we always look forward to and I'm "messy Marvina" so it is likely I won't be able to wear the same thing twice! LOL When you look on Royal Caribbean's website they say that on 11 night cruises there are 3 formal nights but up until now everyone has said there were only 2. If you could answer this for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

"A few people of the Jewuish faith were upset that they did not have a Menorah for Hanukkah. Every other cruise ship including RCI has a small Menarah for the holidys. When they brough this to the pursors desk they were told that they dio not have religious items on dispaly. The christmas tree and christmas decoration is not religious? Every person they asked at guest relation gave them a different answer. From what I could make out guest relations did nor resolve one problem all they did was lie and tell you how sorry they were. There was one person at guest relation who said he acme from other RCI ships and they always had a Menorah. He did not know why there was none on this ship."

"They never had Filet Mignion on any dinner menu."

Twelveohone, I'm sorry to hear that you were left with such a negative opinion of The Empress. My family and I cruised the eleven day cruise upon The Empress for the winter holiday both 2004 and 2005.

In your post, you stated that there were unhappy people because of the lack of a Menorah. There was a Menorah both years. As a matter of fact this year I noticed that two Menorahs were lit during Chanukah. One Menorah was tabletop and the other was at least four feet tall and located where formal pictures are taken near the piano.

You also state filet mignon was not on the menu. Three of us enjoyed the filet mignon in the main dinning room the day after Christmas.

JK

Archived