Full day in Anchorage suggestions

AlanAllyn

We will be in Anchorage (not Seward or Whittier) on the Amsterdam on June 21, 2010 from 7am to 11pm. I am looking for an excursion that will show me things that I won't otherwise see on this 14-day cruise r/t Seattle. (Ketchiken, skagway, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Homer Kodiak, Juneau and Victoria).

Ideally, this would last no more than 8 hours and would start after 10. I'd like to keep the cost to $500 for two, but am somewhat flexible on timing and cost.

Thanks for suggestion of tours and tour operators. (HAL has not yet come up with any ship tours.

Alan

Check out half-day or their slightly longer hi-speed catamaran cruise seeing 26-glaciers, a few very CLOSE-UP, thru Prince William Sound from Whittier. Website below - they have round-trip bus-or-train packages available from ANC, I think indicated at the website or in the past thru Phillips Travel in ANC.

Amazing how large catamaran SMOOTHLY zooms at 40-knots thru PWS to see so much. Enjoyed our trip alot despite dreary drizzly day. Good Luck

http://www.26glaciers.com

rent a car and drive north to the Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine area...stop in Palmer to see musk oxen and or reindeer, go to the Iditarod museum in Wasilla...go to Talkeetna for a fliightsee trip.

We will be in Anchorage (not Seward or Whittier) on the Amsterdam on June 21, 2010 from 7am to 11pm. I am looking for an excursion that will show me things that I won't otherwise see on this 14-day cruise r/t Seattle. (Ketchiken, skagway, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Homer Kodiak, Juneau and Victoria).

Ideally, this would last no more than 8 hours and would start after 10. I'd like to keep the cost to $500 for two, but am somewhat flexible on timing and cost.

Thanks for suggestion of tours and tour operators. (HAL has not yet come up with any ship tours.

Alan

Next year will be the first year that Anchorage will be a port of call so really not a whole lot of companies catering to something like this yet. You could do lots of stuff on your own by renting a car and heading out.

Check out the Anchorage Visitor's Guide at www.anchorage.net

Susan in Anchorage :)

We drove up to spend a day in Anchorage while touring down in the Kenai area. We stopped at the Natural History Museum and asked your question to the woman working there......if she had one day to spend in Anchorage what would she do and where would she go.......(we already had a rental car).....she suggested driving up to Hatcher Pass. It was a beautiful drive. We went up to the mine and came back down and drove along the knik river back to Anchorage...then went to Earthquake park and the airport to watch the seaplanes land/take off.

I attached a picture of the drive up there......through the mat su valley (probably didn't spell that correctly)

691217119_mat-suvalley(3).jpg.dc7858171dbd9dff0268596765b3212b.jpg

Archived