Which Itinerary Would Your Recommend out of Seattle (HAL vs Princess)

NewToCruise22

My husband and I are planning our second cruise ever (and first to) Alaska. We live in Seattle and are currently targeting some last minute cruise deals. Since we live in Seattle we do want to leave from and return to Seattle. I've narrowed it down to 2 itineraries and would love some input. Pros and Cons, etc. Both cruises are approximatley the same price. We are in our early 30's - no kids. We like some night life, but are not major party people.

Itinerary 1

Princess - Golden Princess

Depart 8/15

Day 1 - At Sea

Day 2 - Juneau

Day 3 - Skagway

Day 4 - Tracy Arm

Day 5 - Ketchikan

Day 6 - Victoria

Itinerary 2

Holland America - Zaandam

Depart 8/21

Day 1 - At Sea

Day 2 - Juneau

Day 3 - Glacier Bay

Day 4 - Stitka

Day 5 - Ketchikan

Day 6 - Victoria

Thank you for all your advice and guidance. Once we decide on a cruise I'll be looking at excusions etc.

Based on itinerary alone, I'd go with HAL since it includes Glacier Bay which I found to be more spectacular than Tracy Arm. But it's a smaller ship so you might want to read some reviews to see if it'll suit your needs for nightlife, ambiance, etc.

My husband and I are planning our second cruise ever (and first to) Alaska. We live in Seattle and are currently targeting some last minute cruise deals. Since we live in Seattle we do want to leave from and return to Seattle. I've narrowed it down to 2 itineraries and would love some input. Pros and Cons, etc. Both cruises are approximatley the same price. We are in our early 30's - no kids. We like some night life, but are not major party people.

Itinerary 1

Princess - Golden Princess

Depart 8/15

Day 1 - At Sea

Day 2 - Juneau

Day 3 - Skagway

Day 4 - Tracy Arm

Day 5 - Ketchikan

Day 6 - Victoria

Itinerary 2

Holland America - Zaandam

Depart 8/21

Day 1 - At Sea

Day 2 - Juneau

Day 3 - Glacier Bay

Day 4 - Stitka

Day 5 - Ketchikan

Day 6 - Victoria

Thank you for all your advice and guidance. Once we decide on a cruise I'll be looking at excusions etc.

I am booked on Golden Princess out of Seattle. This is my 3rd trip to AK. I cannot comment on Tracy Arm. Have read lots of nice (translate beautiful) things about it. HOWEVER, I second the other poster - go with HAL's itinerary because of Glacier Bay. It is a must see.

So many of us say it is a once in a lifetime cruise and end up going back multiple, if not many, times to AK. IMHO, Glacier Bay is a not to be missed experience. Do you have a balcony cabin? If so, plan to spend some time on it. The naturalist last year said to get away from the crowds to hear the glacier. It was the best advise I got. Watch for the calving.

I have not sailed on HAL in years. HAL has a lot of faithful passengers. I do love Princess though. I don't know the median age of HAL AK passengers. Princess is a little older than you. I would bet the night life on both lines would be comparable.

If you have sail dates, why not go to the respective roll calls? You might find another couple your age looking for someone to share excursions.

Good luck with you decision.

shootingstar07

We looked at both and chose the HAL Westerdam. At the time, balcony cabins were less expensive and the Sunday to Sunday sailings worked better for us. We also liked having the first two full days on the ship to unwind and relax.

I would go for the HAL cruise because of Sitka. This is my favorite port! Consider going to Tracy Arm on a small boat out of Juneau if you have a long enough port time. We went this year and it was an awesome experience! The small boat will get in closer than the Princess cruise ship. We used Adventure Bound. However, they leave at either 8 AM or 9 AM and do not return until 6 PM, so you need a long enough port time.

Thank you all for the insight! I was leaning toward HAL because of Glacier Bay and your posts have pretty much made up my mind. Keep the thoughts coming! I'm going to check out the boards to get specific reviews of both ships.

Most seasoned Alaska cruisers do recommend choosing an Alaskan cruise for its itinerary rather than for the cruise ship. After my Alaska cruise, I fully agree with that point of view. We actually did not take advantage of what our ship had to offer on the inside, as we were too interested in what was outside the ship.

A lot depends on what you want out of the experience. ALthough Tracy Arm is beautiful, it is better if you are on a small boat. If glaciers are a priority, don't even consider Tracy Arm. There are two glaciers at the end of the Tracy Arm fjord, but cruise ships often can't navigate the waters to get to see them. On occasion even the small boats can't get in. Glacier Bay is just one amazing cruising day. We were in awe the entire time!!!

Although I haven't been to Sitka, all the reading I have been doing about it on these boards have me convinced that it is a don't miss. I will have to go back to Alaska to see it. I think the HAL itinerary is superior!!! However, I am sure you will have a great cruise, whichever you decide to take.

I too would definately choose HAL for myself, for the itinerary. But both offer you plenty of nice options for Alaska. It is simple to get back and forth to Vancouver via Amtrak, Quick Shuttle- if an option. Most Seattle sailings have the least scenic routings with Vancouver grossly superior.

No contest. Glacier Bay. Make sure when you are cruising the bay to be on one of the top decks so you can see all sides. You will also be able to be on the front deck. This is normaly closed but they will open it and serve coffee.

Archived