Trays and Plates???

CruzzyToozy

You are such an asset to this board 'KK', always so willing to assist..I hope I speak for others also when I say - I am most grateful!! :)

In the Neptune Lounge does the food service continue from lunchtime (usually noon to 1:00pm) thru into the afternoon - If one boards at 2:00pm, wld the lunchtime items still be available or is what offered changed?

Thanking u in advance.

Happy cruises & lots of 'em! :)

They will have these snack sandwiches and cookies all afternoon.

Around 3 some of the ships have pound cake -- the marbled chocolate is really good. This is considered tea time -- but there will still be some sandwiches and or wraps. There are also cookies and other desserts.

The food is constantly being replaced as platters get low.

At 5 cold appetizers and crudites replace the sandwiches and desserts. They are there until around 8.

My wife and I together with a friend were on the Prinsendam Cruise from 17th July to 23rd August, a total of 37 days. Having read in May and June all the "tray" posts, my wife and her friend took their own trays. We had breakfast in the Lido every day, and lunch there most days. My wife took her tray to breakfast and lunch for the first few days, but then did not bother after that. She has said she will not bother to take a tray on our next cruise. We did not see other people with trays, but two asked where we had got them - and then at the next port they bought their own. We did notice that after a few days they did not bring them!

A number of posts have mentioned other possible problems, and I would like to offer my comments. There were a lot of staff around most of the meal times, with drinks trolleys being wheeled around with coffee, tea, water etc. There were staff carrying food to tables, and generally helping those who needed help. As for being handed hot plates, yes this happened a number of times but the server always passed it over with a couple of paper serviettes making it quite possible to carry it to the table. The time spent waiting in line to get food was a lot less than on previous cruises when you had to join the end of a long queue.

Taking all things into consideration, and assuming that our experience is typical for all HAL ships, I prefer the trayless system and the individual food stations as it means that I can get my hot meal after eating my cold starter, which means that it is hot when I eat.

I hope this might be helpful, but I stress that this is my personal view, and others will see it differently.

Can`t wait to go on our next cruise.

Happy cruising everyone.

Hmmm, I may have to rethink my idea of bringing a tray. Thank you for this post. I am stubborn, but not totally:)

A number of posts have mentioned other possible problems, and I would like to offer my comments. There were a lot of staff around most of the meal times, with drinks trolleys being wheeled around with coffee, tea, water etc. There were staff carrying food to tables, and generally helping those who needed help. As for being handed hot plates, yes this happened a number of times but the server always passed it over with a couple of paper serviettes making it quite possible to carry it to the table. The time spent waiting in line to get food was a lot less than on previous cruises when you had to join the end of a long queue.

Taking all things into consideration, and assuming that our experience is typical for all HAL ships, I prefer the trayless system and the individual food stations as it means that I can get my hot meal after eating my cold starter, which means that it is hot when I eat.

I hope this might be helpful, but I stress that this is my personal view, and others will see it differently.

Can`t wait to go on our next cruise.

Happy cruising everyone.

Sandy64, our "trayless" experience on the Westerdam was identical. We also prefer the new system, and agree that it greatly cuts down on waiting in lines in the lido. We also saw lots of staff members assisting those who needed help.

Goodness, something else to pack! Hubby suggests taking off the top lid of a hard suitcase (does anyone travel with those any more:confused:) and using it as a tray. Of course, you gotta put it back on to get home, so-o-o that means packing a tool kit maybe.

My idea to an enterprising entrepreneur---sell trays dockside before passengers check-in.

For any CC members who were on the Maasdam for the December 2008 cruise and happen to see this thread................

WHAT will we do now with no trays?

For others understanding, our group that formed spontaneously chose to put together that monster 3000 piece jigsaw puzzle of the aquarium/fish/etc. We had around a DOZEN or more trays "borrowed" from the Lido to try and sort out pieces by color, content, etc. etc. When done, these were returned to the "used" dirty stack and not used again until washed for those who fear puzzle-piece-poisoning.

WE completed the puzzle and would be happy to send a picture for others who want to consider this challenge for their cruises on the Maasdam (it took around 15 people working whenever to finish it in about 9 days). Yes you have to be a bit crazy but this was only done when everything else was at a lull. One of our great new Canadian friends admitted that he had become a puzzle-holic after spending the previous evening working on the puzzle until 2 AM. Those Canadians are tough ....or something! We miss you Gaston.

Ask the librarian to get the puzzle from the "secret" back room!!!

Could not believe that this tray thread re-surfaced..However, when I saw the "Maasdam" mentioned thought I would take a glance at it..

DH loves jigsaw puzzles..I bought him three for his June Birthday..Right now he is in our Guest Room working on a 1000 piece puzzle..He's using the tops of all my plastic shoe boxes to sort the pieces..

Have printed up your post & he'll check to see if they have one in the "secret" back room of the "Statendam" in Nov....Next year if we book the BOS 2 BOS on the "Maasdam", he would love to join in..I often remind him that's it's after one or two in the morning when he gets into a puzzle..

He has until mid Oct. to do his puzzles in the Guest Room, then we'll have to get the suitcases out!...:)LOL He'll probably go back to using the Dining Room table then..

Hmmm, I may have to rethink my idea of bringing a tray. Thank you for this post. I am stubborn, but not totally:)

LOL...:)I briefly thought about it a few months ago.. Decided against it, as don't want to stand out & be embarrassed as the only one with a tray...:o

The only time it might be handy is when one of us in our little group, goes to the Lido for coffee, tea, or water for those of us who are relaxing on the Promenade deck..

We might find something to use for those occasions only, although DH & I take our covered thermal coffee mugs with us...We pack them in our bags stuffed with socks..

Cheers..:) Betty

Archived