Canadian Passport Renewal

faymuiheng

Hi all..

Thought I'd share some good news to us CANADIANS. Had to renew my passport for my trip in Sept. Kept putting it off, as expiry was Feb 2010. I also kept dreading the fact, of the long line ups and all that paperwork with the guarantor and all.

Surprised that there is now a separate form for people who still have active passports that are due to expired in less than 12 months. You can download them from the website, and with that filled out, and with your 2 passport pics, you can take it to their office to process. I was in and out of there on a thursday afternoon in 45mins. Record time! They advised that they will mail you your passport by registered mail. That arrived at my home 2 weeks later.

It's called the simplified method, and the best thing is, you don't need a signature from a guarantor.

Hope this makes someone else's day, as it did to me.

We are booked on the overnite repositioning cruise from Seattle to Vancouver. Lucky that we live on the west coast, as no airlines required if cruising from Seattle or Vancouver!

I used to live in Toronto until I moved out here in 2006!

Miss my fave restaurants downtown:(

Hi all..

Thought I'd share some good news to us CANADIANS. Had to renew my passport for my trip in Sept. Kept putting it off, as expiry was Feb 2010. I also kept dreading the fact, of the long line ups and all that paperwork with the guarantor and all.

Surprised that there is now a separate form for people who still have active passports that are due to expired in less than 12 months. You can download them from the website, and with that filled out, and with your 2 passport pics, you can take it to their office to process. I was in and out of there on a thursday afternoon in 45mins. Record time! They advised that they will mail you your passport by registered mail. That arrived at my home 2 weeks later.

It's called the simplified method, and the best thing is, you don't need a signature from a guarantor.

Hope this makes someone else's day, as it did to me.

Thanks so much for this info! I have to renew my passport before my next cruise and I hate the running around to my Dr. or dentist to pester them to 'guaranty' me.

Try and fill it online before printing the form. It can then be scanned into their system as opposed to them having to type everything in themselves. There will be a barcode type box on top right that they scan, and poof! You're done!

In Vancouver, I had to go to one line up so that can see that I have all the necessary documents, they give you a number for you to head into the next room. Quite daunting, as you see lots of people in there. You just grab a seat, and wait til your number is called. (use that method of "now serving number ---)

And like I said earlier, from the time I walked into the building, I was out of there in 45mins.

We are booked on the overnite repositioning cruise from Seattle to Vancouver. Lucky that we live on the west coast, as no airlines required if cruising from Seattle or Vancouver!

I used to live in Toronto until I moved out here in 2006!

Miss my fave restaurants downtown:(

Just wanted to make sure you're aware though, that as of June 9, 2009 you must now have a valid passport or approved form of ID (example Nexxus pass) to cross into the States at land border crossings as well. The old driver's license and birth cert days are gone now although here at the Windsor/Detroit border they're allowing a short grace period.

Archived