Customs for Canadians

Sophie75

I'm cruising on the Destiny Jan 2 out of San Juan. Do I have to go through U.S. customs when getting off the ship if I am going straight to the airport for a direct flight back to Canada? Just wondering seeing as I will be going through customs at the airport in Canada upon my return. Thanks for any info you can offer!

Sophie75, yes you have to go through US Customs before you leave the ship, this is also where you will get your passport back. At the airport (Tampa) we did not have to fill out anything we just checked in and had to clear security and once you are onboard the plane the flight attendants will give you your customs forms to fill in for when you go through Canadian Customs. Hope this helps!

If this is your first cruise...this is how it works....when you go through the boarding process the cruise line will keep your passport, until the last day. Be prepared...Canadian passengers will be requested to go to a certain lounge to collect their passports the moring of disembarkation....at 6:00 AM...a real bummer... now , that being said if you are flying out that moring you will be anxious to get your passport's as soon as you can..if you get to the lounge for 6:00AM you will probably find a huge line up {depending on how many CDN's on board} this line up is only to get into the lounge..the buffet's are not open yet and the only coffee that's available will be inside the lounge...so order room service the night before so that your not standing around for an hour or so with no food or coffee. We all hear the 6 AM instruction and since we need our passports we all seem to herd down there for 6....If you don't mind getting off the ship later..you could probably afford yourself a little time..but don't miss the process 6AM or not.

bob&france

Thanks for the info....this is my first cruise and I had no idea about the 6 am thing. That really sucks because I hate early mornings. Oh well, hope they don't mind seeing me in my p.j.'s with my hair all messed up!!!! (just kidding)

Archived