I should not have chosen Open Seating

cocos

I already get to meet lots of people in open seating at breakfast and lunch and most have them have not been people I would enjoy sitting with again.

Someone already commented on your previous reference to open seating at breakfast and lunch.

There is just as much chance that you would be allocated next to any of those you would find at breakfast or lunch in the dining room if you had the fixed choice, though I guess you would know on the first night and could change it.

Wondering if you mean that those who sit in fixed are less likely to tell gory stories or comment on the amount of food on board?

Do you think there is a difference with the type of people who choose fixed?

Intrigued... :D:D:D

off the Statendam two weeks ago- for the two of us (who are pretty gregarious)- the opportunity to meet so many new folks on the b2b made the cruise about the best we've taken. There was only one person among the dozens we ate with who we had trouble relating to. If we had been assigned with him to the same table for 7 or more days, the cruise would have quickly gone downhill. We met Aussis, Kiwis, Canucks and even a couple from the Shetlands in addition to a cross section of folks from the Good Old.

Service from the waiters was never a problem- a majority of time we sat in the same general location and has the same waitstaff who very quickly got to know us by name -as we did them.

The biggest problem- dinner took, on the average, at least 2 hours. I don't know whether this was a generic kitchen-waitstaff problem or the fact that because everyone was so interested in conversation that eating was secondary. On a couple of occasion we had to pass up dessert and coffee in order to make the 8pm movie.

I don't think we'll even try Traditional for future cruises.

I find it very interesting that those who prefer "open dining" are suggesting that those of us who don't care for it should really try it because we will like it. Yet no one who prefers "fixed" is insisting that those who prefer "open" should really try fixed. I tried "open dining", I didn't like it. I'm delighted for those people who do like it, and am happy to respect your right to choose whichever you prefer.

Lorekauf, ITA about some of the unusual people one gets to meet at breakfast & lunch in the dining room.

Brucory, you said:

Wondering if you mean that those who sit in fixed are less likely to tell gory stories or comment on the amount of food on board?

Do you think there is a difference with the type of people who choose fixed?

I think the difference to some degree is that people know that these are their dinner companions for a week, 10 days, 14 days, longer..... and most people then make an attempt at finding areas of common interests. It doesn't always work, not every dinner table is stellar, but all that I've experienced (excepting the one night of duds) have been at least good, and many have been stellar.

For me, at breakfast or lunch, if being regaled non-stop by how important my table companions are, how wealthy they are, how the US President is a *****, how bad the cruise is, how they've just recovered from another operation (described in detail), how difficult it is to communicate with the stewards, it just isn't worth the effort to find any common ground. It's an hour. Okay, I'll suck it up and the worst (and probably the best) anyone at the table can say of me is that I'm quiet, but a good listener :D If I was eating with the same people every day, I'd make an effort to learn more about them, steer the conversation a bit, and perhaps find some common areas of interest.

I find it very interesting that those who prefer "open dining" are suggesting that those of us who don't care for it should really try it because we will like it. Yet no one who prefers "fixed" is insisting that those who prefer "open" should really try fixed. I tried "open dining", I didn't like it. I'm delighted for those people who do like it, and am happy to respect your right to choose whichever you prefer.

Lorekauf, ITA about some of the unusual people one gets to meet at breakfast & lunch in the dining room.

Brucory, you said:

I think the difference to some degree is that people know that these are their dinner companions for a week, 10 days, 14 days, longer..... and most people then make an attempt at finding areas of common interests. It doesn't always work, not every dinner table is stellar, but all that I've experienced (excepting the one night of duds) have been at least good, and many have been stellar.

For me, at breakfast or lunch, if being regaled non-stop by how important my table companions are, how wealthy they are, how the US President is a *****, how bad the cruise is, how they've just recovered from another operation (described in detail), how difficult it is to communicate with the stewards, it just isn't worth the effort to find any common ground. It's an hour. Okay, I'll suck it up and the worst (and probably the best) anyone at the table can say of me is that I'm quiet, but a good listener :D If I was eating with the same people every day, I'd make an effort to learn more about them, steer the conversation a bit, and perhaps find some common areas of interest.

You've explained my thoughts exactly. I wonder why over and over people just have to preach about how awesome open is. If it's so great....why not keep that secret to yourself:rolleyes::eek::D.

I find it very interesting that those who prefer "open dining" are suggesting that those of us who don't care for it should really try it because we will like it.

No one has said that. They have just shared their own experience of enjoying open dining.

Yet no one who prefers "fixed" is insisting that those who prefer "open" should really try fixed.

There are other differences. None of the posters who have extolled the benefits of open have criticized fixed dining or the people that they might meet at fixed dining as both yourself and Lorekauf have about open dining, the people you have "had" to tolerate, and the types of things that get talked about at the table.

It is fair enough for you to share your disdain for something, or your intolerance for people you don't have the time to find common ground with. That is your issue and something that no one will be able to, nor frankly would want to, talk you out of.

However, it is also fair that people who enjoy an experience are able to have a voice and share their opinions. I believe that is the spirit of these boards...

Peace and happy cruising to you...

:D:D:D

Glad you like open....but I wonder why people feel so compelled to talk people into that option when it's not something I want to explore.

I wouldn't presume to talk anyone into open or fixed seating. I was just using my case as an example. I was forced into open seating and found that I liked it. If you feel you'd be happier in traditional dining, and can get it, by all means that's the route you should go. I'm only saying that if you get "stuck" with open seating, as I did ... it's not all bad and can be worked around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We returned from a 12 day on the Rotterdam Baltic cruise. We booked open, or anytime dining for the simple reason that we didn't know when we would be back on the ship and didn't know the entertainment schedule in advance. We don't like to eat late in the evening and the Baltic itinerary is very port intensive with little time to rest up during the day.

Our experience was positive. The staff on HAL is very skilled. They know your name because you are identified by cabin when you are assigned a table. It only takes a second to order the food the way you like it.

We sat with three different groups on four nights, three four tops and one six top, the rest of the time we had table for two in the same general area every night. We enjoyed meeting the fellow diners from around the world and we had good conversation. We also enjoyed the time with each other on the nights that we had the tables for two. A wine steward was always able to find us with any remaining wine from the previous night, again well managed trained staff is key.

We never had to wait for a table, and the timing of the dinner was based on how fast everyone finished the courses. We were able to eat in the dining room every night except for Warnemunde when we returned to the ship after the dining rooms were closed and enjoyed the German Festival on Lido deck. We were able to attend the entertainment of our choice in part due to the flexibility of the dining schedule. We don't eat at the same time every night at home, why should we on a cruise?

It is great that there is a choice and perhaps the benefit of this thread is that folks have an opportunity to get ideas on what may suit them if they are new to cruising. We had a great time.:)

I wonder why over and over people just have to preach about how awesome open is. If it's so great....why not keep that secret to yourself:rolleyes::eek::D.

I don't see any preaching about how awesome open is.

People are simply expressing their views.

Some of us have had positive experiences with open seating.

It seems to me that the rants against open seating are mostly coming from pax who've never even experienced it.

• 2 months later...

I just booked on the Zuiderdam for Alaska in May, and can only get fixed seating for the late seating, or waitlist for early.

I'm travelling with hubby and 2 friends - what's the probability that we'll get a table for all 4 of us on the early seating if we sign up on the waitlist?

If we opt for open dining, what tips do you have so we can get a nice table for before 6:30pm?

What's the scoop on Verandah dining - is that just for the suites?

Last cruise we were on was for our honeymoon, so we had a nice table by the window with another honeymooning couple. This cruise is for our 10th anniversary. :)

thanks

I just booked on the Zuiderdam for Alaska in May, and can only get fixed seating for the late seating, or waitlist for early.

I'm travelling with hubby and 2 friends - what's the probability that we'll get a table for all 4 of us on the early seating if we sign up on the waitlist?

If we opt for open dining, what tips do you have so we can get a nice table for before 6:30pm?

What's the scoop on Verandah dining - is that just for the suites?

Last cruise we were on was for our honeymoon, so we had a nice table by the window with another honeymooning couple. This cruise is for our 10th anniversary. :)

thanks

If you want the early seating, then I'd sign up on the wait list--default is open seating anyway so you have nothing to lose. We've eaten both ways and enjoyed both. Over the last couple of cruises we discovered that we actually prefer open seating, and like to ask for a table for six (like you we are with two more people) so we can meet new people, but that is totally your choice. For us, tables for four and six are fine, and eight is too large to visit and a little more unwieldy for getting served in a timely manner. Just my opinion. With the open dining we don't feel rushed if we are ashore and want to clean up before dinner.

Also, with open dining you can call ahead in the morning and ask for the early time, I believe they give you a choice of early (5:15?) or late, or you can just show up with your friends and ask for a table. Our last cruise was a 10-day cruise, and we only had to wait once or twice, and that was when we went later. We just took the buzzer and walked around the ship for a few minutes until we were paged.

We enjoyed open seating in the dining room for dinner. Since we did room service for breakfast and "winged it" for lunch (lido or in port) we liked being seated with various passengers for dinner. It kept conversation fresh and new never knowing who they would seat us with. We were always seated at a table for 6, different pax except for formal nights whereby we requested the same pax as 1st formal night.

If we were to cruise again (hopefully!!!) we would do open seating again.

First of all, we all have our personal peferences. I would not disparage anyone for expressing his or her choice in this matter. I happen to prefer fixed seating for most of the reasons previously posted on this (lengthy) thread.

I would make the following observations that I don't think have been mentioned. The cruise business and the true ocean liner business that preceded it has a "tradition" of offering meal seating at shared tables (in my experience as large as ten tops). This most likely originated from the fact that the dining room space was limited and that was the efficient way to seat and serve the passengers. I don't believe it was started that way becuase someone did a survey and found that people wanted to share their tables. Since those early days, people decided they kinda liked the shared table concept and then when cruising began to dominate the industry rather than straight "ocean crossings", the shared seating thing became something passengers adapted to, began to embrace, and then ultimately expected and looked forward to the experience.

Here is where I digress (personal preference only). Today's cruise ships are noted for their cuisine (depending on the line, maybe very fine cuisine). Dining in this fashion is not something we do night after night when we are home and not on a ship. When we go to comparable upscale restaurants at home, we never ask the maitre'd if we can sit with some other people (strangers), be that a four, six, or eight top. Why would I do that on a ship? I know folks will say, "well, you're on vacation...that's different." Well, I go on land vacations as well and, when I go to a nice restaurant other than a German Beer Hall (and they are fun), I never go in and ask to be seated with strangers there either.

Well, that's my reasoning for my preference. I respect the reasons why people like the open seating. I'm more of a traditionalist because that's what I've chosen to take from the "golden age of ocean travel." I want the same dining stewards every night and I can adapt to sitting with strangers at a larger table, but not new people every night in a different location at a different time.

This is a thread on the HAL board and I have to say that traditional fixed dining is a major consideration for my choosing HAL ships. If HAL expands the as-you-wish concept to dominate the MDR choices, then I would seek another line, as much as that would pain me.

Bob

We were on a cruise (15 days) through the canal and down to Chile several years ago and had a very compatible window table for six. :) HOWEVER; We met two ladies who were at a table with the main lecturer, a retired professor from somewhere. His 1st lecture, which I attended, was held in the main showroom and attracted many people. When I woke up (two degrees, can't remember EVER sleeping through a lecture before), I listened for a few minutes and left for the pool deck and fresh air! :( He talked ALL the time and the ladies did not know you could ask to change tables. :eek:

Cruise Critic is great... You won't get stuck like that! :D

ps: The 3rd day, they moved his lecture to a small room.

Sounds like a scene from the Jack Lemon/Walter Matthau classic movie Out to Sea!

Now, I'm officially concerned about the Open Seating option we selected (Rydam, Alaska, July 24). :eek: Most people in my party are used to a fixed dining and hope to know the dinner's time. I don't like the idea of having new waiters each night. It sounds like the oposite to "good personal service". Also, my children were used in past cruises to know personally our waiters. :(

Is there something positive about Open Seating???

Holland America's open seating plan did not work well for us. We were forced out of traditional dining twice and on our last cruise (Maasdam) we could not request a specific table, nor a specific part of the open dining room. Yes, you have to call each morning to make reservations and on the last evening we didn't call early enough and for the first time in 34 cruises we had to eat dinner in the Lido restuarant.

I've had a few other issues with HAL as of late and for that reason we are taking a sabbatical from one of our favorite cruise lines.

Good Luck!

Kel

Can I reserve daily for the same time, table and waiter than the previous night?

On the Noordam a couple years ago, we did that. It worked like a charm. We called every morning at 8 or so, and made a reservation for that evening. EASY.

As another poster has said, you can make reservations early or late....not during peak times.

My question is where is the open seating area located on the HAL ships? I am getting the impression its the whole first floor of the dining room, with fixed on the 2nd floor. Am I off base here?

If I got everything the way I wanted it, I would like fixed, but on the first floor, reason being it seems a little more spacious to me if the open floor is above me rather than below me. But this option was not available when we recently booked our cruise on HAL. We just finished a RCI cruise where we booked late and had to get open dining. It was located on the top floor, and we felt just a tiny bit envious of those lower diners.

My question is where is the open seating area located on the HAL ships? I am getting the impression its the whole first floor of the dining room, with fixed on the 2nd floor. Am I off base here?

If I got everything the way I wanted it, I would like fixed, but on the first floor, reason being it seems a little more spacious to me if the open floor is above me rather than below me. But this option was not available when we recently booked our cruise on HAL. We just finished a RCI cruise where we booked late and had to get open dining. It was located on the top floor, and we felt just a tiny bit envious of those lower diners.

Hi again DrWhit! I just copied this from the As You Wish Dinng sticky at the top of the Holland America Board (there is a lot more info there that you can read up and prepare with so I am including the URL):

Open seating will be in the lower dining room. Those guests will be able to dine at a time most convenient for their daily schedule.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627832

Hi again DrWhit! I just copied this from the As You Wish Dinng sticky at the top of the Holland America Board (there is a lot more info there that you can read up and prepare with so I am including the URL):

Open seating will be in the lower dining room. Those guests will be able to dine at a time most convenient for their daily schedule.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627832

Hi to you too! Thanks for the info. So, it is open lower, fixed upper. That explains why we couldn't get fixed on the lower floor. Good to know.

Archived