Villefranche - Monaco/Eze

wantab cruiser

We went to both on a private tour, but since you are giong DIY I would certainly take the train. You'll spend less time travelling and more time enjoying the sights. The scenery will be beautiful either way. I highly recommend Eze. It was our favorite non-Italy place we visited on our Med. cruise. The ancient walled city is a must see. There's a great dress shop about 3/4 the way up the main winding path (within the wall) that had hand-made traditional skirts for $15 - $20 Euro each. A great souvenier that looks a lot more expensive than it actually was.

Have fun for me!

When I was in Villefranche with the Brilliance of the Seas in 06 walked to the train station, took the train from Villefrance to Eze bord du Mer and then caught a bus from Eze bord du Mer to Eze Village. From Eze Village we took a bus to Monaco. From Monaco we took the train back to Villefranche at the end of the day. While in Monaco, we took the bus from Monaco to Monte Carlo

The train ride takes you along the Lower Corniche and you get seaside views. The bus up to Eze Village and from Eze Village to Monaco, I believe takes you on the Upper Corniche and the views are stunning.

Whatever you end up doing though, make sure that you have all bus and train schedules on hand. The train schedules can be found at the SNCF website. The trains are generally on time. The bus schedules get a bit tricky. And remember to factor in traffic. When I wanted to go from Eze to Monaco in time to see the changing of the guards at the Palais, I figured that I had plenty of time because the bus schedule indicated it was only a 20 minute bus ride. However, with bumper to bumper traffic, our 20 minute bus ride turned into a 1 hour bus ride. We rush through Monaco/Monte Carlo and went running for the train station because we were boarding the last train that was scheduled to bring us back to Villefranche on time to catch the ship. But then again, we were only in Villefranche from 7 am to 2 pm.

The lesson being, do your research in advance, have different schedules handy, and always have a Plan B just in case.

Have fun!

We did it in the same order the jstducky did (VF-Eze-MonteCarlo-Vf), except that we took the bus (#100) instead of the train from Villefranche to Eze Bord de Mer. Both bus and train follow the same route along the coast. The train station is easier to find, but bus #100 comes along every 20 minutes, which worked better for us in making the next connection up to Eze Village.

From Eze bord de Mer we took bus #83 up to Eze Village, bus #112 from Eze Village to Monte Carlo, and returned to Villefranche via train.

Bus schedules: http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm

We did it in the same order the jstducky did (VF-Eze-MonteCarlo-Vf), except that we took the bus (#100) instead of the train from Villefranche to Eze Bord de Mer. Both bus and train follow the same route along the coast. The train station is easier to find, but bus #100 comes along every 20 minutes, which worked better for us in making the next connection up to Eze Village.

From Eze bord de Mer we took bus #83 up to Eze Village, bus #112 from Eze Village to Monte Carlo, and returned to Villefranche via train.

Bus schedules: http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm

This is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by#? Is #100 one euro?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived