Maui: order? Iao Needle, Lahaina coast

flashdog_1

We are renting a car our second day in Maui on Pride of America. It looks as if there is a shorter way to Lahaina, (maybe rt 37 then meeting 30. Don't have the book in front of me) where I understand parking is difficult to find unless you're there early. We were planning to go to the Iao Needle first, then go back to the main highway to Lahaina. So my question is, should we rush straight to Lahaina (and coincidentally see another highway) and do the Iao Needle on the way back to the ship, or is that too iffy time wise?

I'd do Iao Valley first then head to Lahaina for lunch (at the Lahaina Fish Company or Kimo's.) Just be sure you leave enough time to get back to the ship.

I've never had a problem parking in Lahaina. First, I'd check out the free parking around the square (the banyon tree). If no spaces are available, turn right as you exit the square - the school is immediately on your right. There is a big parking lot across the street from the school. Can't remember if it's a pay lot or free but it seems like it's a free lot. If there aren't any places there (which I can't imagine!), head up Front St a few blocks and park in the Hilo Hattie's lot. That is a paid lot, but again, there is a lot of parking available. The two lots are at opposite ends of Lahaina - but only a few blocks apart.

Again, watch your time and be sure to allow for an extra 30 or 40 minutes AT LEAST in case you run into traffic (it's not uncommon to be delayed by an accident caused by someone pulling back onto the highway after they've left one of the beach pull-outs).

Thanks Beach4me,

I've read about those accidents on the beach road. And with rt 30 being a main thoroughfare, there's not really another way to get back to Kahului.

Would you take rt 30 to 380 back to Kahului for the return? Thanks again

Yes, flashdog, 30 back to 380 is your best bet. Otherwise you're adding distance and time by taking 30 back up to Wailuku and over. Of course accidents can happen at any time but my experience is that I've seemed to run into more between 3:00 and 4:30 than any other time. I think it's because people have spent their day at the beach and are heading back to the hotels or home to clean up for the evening. Most of these seem to happen in the Olowalu area so once you're through that area, you are much more assured a faster trip back to the airport.

If you leave town early to head back to the ship and pass through Olowalu and have a few extra minute to spare, you could always pull over at McGregor Point. It is a fabulous place for whale watching. The in and out at McGregor Point's parking lot is really easy if you are heading from Lahaina back to Kahului. http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/mcgregor_point_lookout_and_lighthouse.html

If you want to follow 30 down around and up to Kapalua before you come back and stop in Lahaina, I HIGHLY recommend the Pineapple Grill up at Kapalua for lunch. Pineapple Grill is actually my favorite restaurant on Maui. Kapalua is a very pretty area with phenomenal views of Molokai. (The restaurant not only overlooks the famous golf course, it also looks across to Molokai, too.)

If you have any other questions, please ask!

yes, flashdog, 30 back to 380 is your best bet. Otherwise you're adding distance and time by taking 30 back up to wailuku and over. Of course accidents can happen at any time but my experience is that i've seemed to run into more between 3:00 and 4:30 than any other time. I think it's because people have spent their day at the beach and are heading back to the hotels or home to clean up for the evening. Most of these seem to happen in the olowalu area so once you're through that area, you are much more assured a faster trip back to the airport.

and that would probably be the time people in rental cars would be headed back, too!

if you leave town early to head back to the ship and pass through olowalu and have a few extra minute to spare, you could always pull over at mcgregor point. It is a fabulous place for whale watching. The in and out at mcgregor point's parking lot is really easy if you are heading from lahaina back to kahului. http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/mcgregor_point_lookout_and_lighthouse.html

i do want to stop there for that very reason!

if you want to follow 30 down around and up to kapalua before you come back and stop in lahaina, i highly recommend the pineapple grill up at kapalua for lunch. Pineapple grill is actually my favorite restaurant on maui. Kapalua is a very pretty area with phenomenal views of molokai. (the restaurant not only overlooks the famous golf course, it also looks across to molokai, too.)

if you have any other questions, please ask!

we do want to go to kapalua, too. Can you see lanai, too? Or is lanai better seen at mcgreggor's point?

we do want to go to kapalua, too. Can you see lanai, too? Or is lanai better seen at mcgreggor's point?

Molokai is the best island viewed from Kapalua. You can see both Molokai and Lanai from downtown Lahaina - and from Kaanapali (again, Molokai is closer than Lanai from Kaanapali). And, from McGreggor's Point, you can see Lanai and Kahoolawe (and Molikini) - with a much more distant view of Molokai.

If you come back from Kapalua (to Kaanapali and Lahaina) via the coast road, there is a public park in Honokowai that is often good for beach level whale watching. This is directly across from Molokai - a favorite area for whales since they are really protectedin the channel between the two islands. Don't know the name of the beach - it's just beyond the hotels in Kahana and before you get to the hotels in Honokowai. As a side note, there is a tiny little old white church almost across the street from this beach - just down a few yards. If it's raining in the West Maui mountains, you can often see a beautiful rainbow that looks like it goes over this church. Very, very pretty sight!

A bigger beach is Kahekili Beach (Airport Beach) -just beyond the Honokowai hotels. This is a public park as well. Here's a link to info about the beach - http://www.mauibeachguide.com/Airport_Beach.html (That is Black Rock in the distance on the picture in the link above. This beach is before you hit Kaanapali if you are coming back from Kapalua.) It is also a good whale watching beach.

(Hope I haven't totally confused you with these places/short descriptions of their locations. If I have, let me know and I"ll try to clarify!)

No, no confusion. I'm copying and pasting it all so I'll have lots of options if I miss one or the other!

Just read a review by Can who says all the NCL excursion passengers in Lahaina had to be put up in the Sheraton (and fed) due to a fire that prevented the main road being open. Can took the "forbidden" road, though, and got back to the ship totally unaware of the fire.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1016194

Makes me think I'd better rent a car on the FIRST day in Maui, just in case!

You've been very helpful. More questions for you.

Did you used to live there or have just recently returned, to be so UP on things?

What's the price of gasoline in Lahaina/Kahului?

Does the ship sail past or near Molokai coming in or going out of Kahului? I'm really thinking of a helicopter flight to see it up close (instead of the Road to Hana, actually). Any opinions? THANKS

Just read a review by Can who says all the NCL excursion passengers in Lahaina had to be put up in the Sheraton (and fed) due to a fire that prevented the main road being open. Can took the "forbidden" road, though, and got back to the ship totally unaware of the fire.

This is a VERY taxing drive - and one that I don't recommend to folks. It is definitely not an enjoyable trip for the driver! If I was Can, I'd have opted for the hotel. :)

Did you used to live there or have just recently returned, to be so UP on things?

I've never lived on Maui but my family has always thought of it as a second home. We started visiting the island in 1978 and have spent 3-4 weeks there at least once every other year. I was most recently there in Feb/Mar 2008.

What's the price of gasoline in Lahaina/Kahului??

It's $3.58/gal as of Monday this week. Here's a link where you can find current gas prices http://www.hawaiigasprices.com/Kahului/index.aspx

Does the ship sail past or near Molokai coming in or going out of Kahului? I'm really thinking of a helicopter flight to see it up close (instead of the Road to Hana, actually). Any opinions? THANKS

I can't answer the question about where the ship passes around Maui because I've not done the PoA cruise. Kahului is on the opposite side of the island from Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua - which are across from Molokai. Hopefully someone who has done your itinerary can comment of this.

HOWEVER, I will comment on your other question. I am one of those who feel that if you are only on Maui for a day or two, you should not make the Road to Hana a priority. It is a long day of driving - and while pretty in places, imo it doesn't give a good payoff for the time spent given limited time in Maui. You will see equally stunning scenery in Iao Valley. Kind of like the "forbidden" road, the driver doesn't get to enjoy the view on RtH because they absolutely have to watch the road. Of course, Iao isn't going to give you the black sand beach...but again, for a full day on a limited time schedule in port, it's just not where I'd spend my time. (You will find a number of others who completely disagree with this opinion, btw! ;) And, I always say that if it's something you are always going to have nagging at you that you didn't do the RtH if you bypass it, then do it. Otherwise, save it for a return extended trip to Maui. So you know, I've only done it once - and that was enough. In all my return trips, I've never once thought "gee, I should go over to Hana today".)

I think the idea of a flight-see to Molokai sounds brilliant. You can also catch the ferry over from Lahaina and take a 1/2 day tour and then take the ferry back. But, a flight-see would give you spectacular views.

Archived