International Flights

getaway101

Can any of you seasoned travelers answer this question for me please?

Seems like to me last time we sailed TA we flew from DC to JFK to Venice and even though we were traveling on the same airline, (I think) we had to collect our luggage at JFK. Does this sound correct with International flights? For the life of me I can't remember if that happened or I just thought it did :rolleyes::o It's one of those "senior moments";)

Sounds like you have it backwards.

You must clear immigration and customs at your first port of entry into the US. Even passengers in international transit must clear immigration and customs too.

There's no necessity to collect bags on a domestic connection before an international flight as there are no outgoing immigration (or customs) formalities leaving the US. Or maybe you had separate tickets, even though they were on the same airline and the agent at your initial departure point couldn't/wouldn't check your bags through.

you wouldn't have to collect them from DC to Jfk to wherever only on the way back and its required at every US airport that is the first one back into the US...(unless the plane was pre cleared as they sometimes do in Canada)

The only other reason may be that DC(national not Dulles) at the time didn't screen the luggage to international standards but that isn't true anymore.

Archived