Please tell me about "Early Saver"

I am a relatively new cruiser, never cruised Carnival before, so please be patient with my questions.

We booked a cruise "Early Saver" rate, 4 days to Bahamas on Sensation, and paid for it in full. We don't actually go on our trip until February 2010, but my hubbie is the anxious type who wants to get everything paid well in advance, and the money was not exactly earning much in our savings acccount. We booked through a travel agent as we are going with another couple and wanted to be assured of side by side staterooms.

From a couple of posts I've read here, I'm getting the idea that if the price drops , and it well might during the next 7 months, that we can get some kind of credit. Please let me know if this is so. Obviously, if the price comes down and there is some way to qualify for the lower rates we would like to do so. Thanks in advance for all your advice. This site is a great resource, such knowledgeable cruisers!

If the price drops, since you are paid in full, you are entitled to receive OBC (on board credit). I booked ES for our upcoming cruise in August and have received OBC and an upgrade (same deck, moved to midship from aft).

Keep an eye on the price of your cruise. The way I do it is to "book" another cruise on the same ship for the same dates on the Carnival site. If the price falls, call your TA and ask her to fill out the Early Saver form and submit it to Carnival.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I booked our upcoming cruise directly through Carnival. I noticed over the weekend the price had dropped ($130/pp), so I called & they offered me the onboard credit of $260. (They also offered us an upsell which we happened to take instead of the onboard credit... upgrade from balcony to suite for $100).

But my point is, you just call Carnival if you booked through them, they will check the price & offer you the difference of the prices as an onboard credit. Very simple! They also have a form online you can fill out to get the credit too, but I have a really hard time finding it! I just call Carnival & they take care of me!

And using the Early-Saver program, you can do this as many times as you want if prices continue to drop... up till 2 days before your cruise!

When you book with Early Saver: there are no name changes allowed for your booking (you cannot later substitute another passenger) and if you cancel you lose your deposit (although you CAN re-schedule the cruise within a year at a cost of $50 pp).

If the Carnival advertised price for your cruise (your exact ship, date and cabin category) goes down, you can get a price reduction. You have to watch your cruise on carnival.com and if the price for any booking rate that you're eligible for goes down, call your TA and ask him/her to file a price reduction request with Carnival (if you book via TA the TA HAS to submit the form).

If the Early Saver rate drops, you get that lower Early Saver rate. [That rate will disappear 3 months out for shorter cruises, 5 months out from longer cruises.]

If the Fun Select rate drops, you get that reduced FunSelect Rate.

If you are a Past Guest, if a lower Past Guest rate than your current Early Saver Rate is offered by Carnival, then you get that reduced rate.

If you are 55+, if a lower 55+ rate than your current Early Saver Rate is offered by Carnival, then you get that reduced rate.

If you are a your state Resident, if a lower your state Resident rate than your current Early Saver Rate is offered by Carnival, then you get that reduced rate.

If you are eligible for Military Rate, if a lower Military rate than your current Early Saver Rate is offered by Carnival, then you get that reduced rate.

these are the rates you should be watching from booking and up to two days before sailing.

ken

Thanks for the info. This is very helpful. I have a couple clarifying questions:

1- If you book the regular rate, rather than the ES rate, I believe you can still call and ask for the new rate as long as you are within the cancellation period (61 days for short cruises, 76 days for the longer ones). I think this applies to "special" discounts too, like 55+ or Resident. Is this correct?

2- If you book at the regular rate, can you change to the ES rate later? For example, could you book a 5-night cruise 10 months in advance

and then 4 months in advance change to the Early Saver rate?

Thanks

We booked the Valor for next February and like you guys, we paid in full as well. Our cruise has already dropped twice and since we are paid in full we get an on-board credit for it. As someone else has already said, just go to carnival.com and pretend you're booking the same cruise. If you noticed it has dropped, call you TA and he/she will submit a price reduction form. Piece of cake.

btw, February is one nice month for us Canucks to be cruising. Out of the snow and cold. Enjoy your first cruise and don't forget - post often and ask plenty of questions.

Thanks for the info. This is very helpful. I have a couple clarifying questions:

1- If you book the regular rate, rather than the ES rate, I believe you can still call and ask for the new rate as long as you are within the cancellation period (61 days for short cruises, 76 days for the longer ones). I think this applies to "special" discounts too, like 55+ or Resident. Is this correct?

2- If you book at the regular rate, can you change to the ES rate later? For example, could you book a 5-night cruise 10 months in advance

and then 4 months in advance change to the Early Saver rate?

Thanks

The answer is YES to both questions:)

Archived